DCF on 25/11/2014...Still Waiting

Thought I'd provide just another data point for everyone that could be useful.

I filed for a DCF in Beijing on 25/11/2014. After the officer took my documentation he said it would take about 3 months (!). And indeed, we haven't heard anything yet at all. Big difference from some experiences I've read on here, with people hearing back after a week or two.

It's getting close to the 60-day point when US CIS says you can begin to inquire about your petition status. So I'll probably do that in about a week.

Anyone else applied around that time-frame? We're getting quite antsy.

Another interesting question:

I actually looked at the DS-260 form, and it only asks about current Communist Party membership, not past membership. But obviously the I-485 form does ask if you have ever been a Communist Party member. So it seems that if are a former member, and you follow the directions literally, you will write "No" on DS-260, but then later "Yes" on I-485, because they ask different things. That shouldn't be a problem, right?

Even if past member I would answer yes, they do have ways of determining this, if ssy no on the DS-260 and the officer at interview asks if had been in the past and the applicant answers yes, they can start asking why the no on DS-230 because tecnicaly no one ever quits the party.

They are well aware that the majority only join for employment reasons not political reasons.

Later well after coming to the USA if your spouse wishes to become a citizen the communist question comes up again and if USCIS determins if somehow misrepresented the facts to get a visa they could deny citizenship and even revoke greencard.

Lastly the I-485 is not used in any part of your process your spouse will enter the USA as an immigrant not non-immigrant so has no status needing to be adjusted. I-485 is used my a non-immigrant like K-1 or Student visa holder to adjust from non-immigrant to immigrant.

I filed for a DCF in Beijing on 25/11/2014. After the officer took my documentation he said it would take about 3 months (!). And indeed, we haven't heard anything yet at all. Big difference from some experiences I've read on here, with people hearing back after a week or two.

It's getting close to the 60-day point when US CIS says you can begin to inquire about your petition status. So I'll probably do that in about a week.

I actually looked at the DS-260 form, and it only asks about current Communist Party membership, not past membership. But obviously the I-485 form does ask if you have ever been a Communist Party member. So it seems that if are a former member, and you follow the directions literally, you will write "No" on DS-260, but then later "Yes" on I-485, because they ask different things. That shouldn't be a problem, right?

I DCF'ed in Beijing on the 2nd of September. On exactly the 60th day, I emailed and got a response that my I-130 had been approved.

Our interview is on Wednesday, I will write up a timeline in the interview results section of this forum when we get back from Guangzhuo.

That should be more helpful for you.

Edited by Snowman87 (see edit history)

Thanks. The reason I asked was because I don't want to actually misrepresent the other way, by my spouse saying she is a party member when she isn't, anymore. But I can see how the "affiliation" part of the question can cover that, so that it is better than not to simply say "yes" there.

Thanks for the correction about the I-485.

Even if past member I would answer yes, they do have ways of determining this, if ssy no on the DS-260 and the officer at interview asks if had been in the past and the applicant answers yes, they can start asking why the no on DS-230 because tecnicaly no one ever quits the party.

They are well aware that the majority only join for employment reasons not political reasons.

Later well after coming to the USA if your spouse wishes to become a citizen the communist question comes up again and if USCIS determins if somehow misrepresented the facts to get a visa they could deny citizenship and even revoke greencard.

Lastly the I-485 is not used in any part of your process your spouse will enter the USA as an immigrant not non-immigrant so has no status needing to be adjusted. I-485 is used my a non-immigrant like K-1 or Student visa holder to adjust from non-immigrant to immigrant.

Fantastic. That's very, very helpful to know. Really appreciate it. Encouraging that they actually answered your e-mail. Was your e-mail simply to DHSBeijing.CIS@uscis.dhs.gov?

I DCF'ed in Beijing on the 2nd of September. On exactly the 60th day, I emailed and got a response that my I-130 had been approved.

Our interview is on Wednesday, I will write up a timeline in the interview results section of this forum when we get back from Guangzhuo.

That should be more helpful for you.

One factor that may be slowing things down is the fact that you filed on November 25. This means you had three major holidays, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years during the period right after filing. Things slow down during the holidays, mostly due to closings and people just generally move more slowly during this time of year, at least at work. Just a thought. . . :coffee1:

• Like 1

Mick, where do you reside in China? Maybe the deliay is due to Beijing USCIS not having jurisdiction over your area and needing to hand off to Guangzhou USCIS? According to http://beijing.usembassy-china.org.cn/uscis.html...

The Beijing Field Office is an overseas component of USCIS. We have jurisdiction over the following regions within China:

Beijing, Hebei, Heilongjiang, Inner Mongolia, Jilin, Liaoning, Shanghai, Shanxi, Tianjin. Please note that the USCIS Guangzhou Field Office has jurisdiction over the remainder of China.

One factor that may be slowing things down is the fact that you filed on November 25. This means you had three major holidays, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years during the period right after filing. Things slow down during the holidays, mostly due to closings and people just generally move more slowly during this time of year, at least at work. Just a thought. . . :coffee1:

For sure. I guess that's probably why the officer told me 3 months.

Mick, where do you reside in China? Maybe the deliay is due to Beijing USCIS not having jurisdiction over your area and needing to hand off to Guangzhou USCIS? According to http://beijing.usembassy-china.org.cn/uscis.html...

The Beijing Field Office is an overseas component of USCIS. We have jurisdiction over the following regions within China:

Beijing, Hebei, Heilongjiang, Inner Mongolia, Jilin, Liaoning, Shanghai, Shanxi, Tianjin. Please note that the USCIS Guangzhou Field Office has jurisdiction over the remainder of China.

I reside in Shanghai.

The petition is accepted ONLY by the USCIS office with jurisdiction over their residence. Once approved, the petition is ALWAYS forwarded to the Dept. of State at Guangzhou for the visa application by the beneficiary.

In a nutshell, once your petition is ACCEPTED, it's at the right place.