10 Chinese Dinners Americans Crave!

Thomas Promise

I only see Chow Mein. Where are the other nine food? Wo bu zhi dao.

There are 'Next' buttons that will scroll through the various dishes - but some of that web-site functionality may not be available in China.

Most of the dishes are American "Chinese food" staples, (chow mein, sweet and sour pork, egg rolls, fried rice, General Tso's chicken, lo mein, hot and sour soup, mongolian beef, orange chicken and egg drop soup), available at the 'Fortune Cookie' restaurant in Shanghai -

Introducing "Chinese Food" to China

I don't mean to sound critical here - the article is about Chinese food as served in America.

I clicked on both "previous" and "next" but got nothing on the page. Maybe the Internet is doing racial discrimination to me. :doorscared: It allows Americans to turn any pages they like in America but not me in China lol. I'm not picky with food but the Chinese food only looks like Chinese food. Oh, I don't blame that. My own person is Americanized as well.

I guess none of you know what food I made today. Perhaps you've never seen the yellow bread in your life. The black thing may not be strange to you. The two dishes is what I'm having for today.

Happy new year everyone!

I had mu shu pork, or moo-shu park, different spellings, the other night when I met and took a friend of my wife's to the restaurant North China, in Plano, TX. They have 2 versions, one with the cakes, tortilla, and the sauce that you roll everything up in, and the Chinese version which is simply the veggies and pork that you would have put in the cakes. Basically you lose out on the tortilla and sauce in the process, but I learned. HOWEVER, I have had the cakes served in Changzhou China before, so which is really Chinese?

Anyway, that is probably my number 3 or 4 I really like. The others I have no idea what their name is. I just pick them out from the pictures in the menu over in China. American menus in USA Chinese restaurants usually don't have all the pics, which is bad business in my opinion. How are we supposed to know? I also wish they had variety packs for one or two people so all can eat from the middle. So hard to get the real way in the USA, but I got told I can find it up in Plano. Will report later this week.

Tomato egg I miss.

Edited by Doug (see edit history)

I have no idea what is "shu pork, or moo-shu park". Maybe it's Americanized pork. My English vocabulary in western food is very much limited, almost zero. So I don't understand Doug' sharing lol.

Most Americans think rice is our Chinese people's traditional food. It's not. Rice is the best food in our childhood and we ate it only a couple of times in a year. We ate corn bread, every day and every meal. The picture of the yellow bread that I just uploaded is the corn bread that millions of Chinese people hated. It's rough and dry without any flavors. The black thing I was holding is fungus that grows on wood. So in Chinese it is called "wood ear". It's said the 'wood ear' helps to clean our lung.

Catherine, the yellow bread in your picture looks like blueberry or raspberry muffins. We can get those at Dunkin Donuts in the states. Heated and with butter is the way I like them. What is the colored item in your yellow bread? At the the Chinese buffets in the US I like the plain sugar coated buns. What American food do you like the most? Is there a particular American restaurant that you like to go to? I often wonder what American food would appeal to Chinese people. If you opening a Western food restaurant what dishes do you think would sell well in Shenyang? Danb

I have no idea what is "shu pork, or moo-shu park". Maybe it's Americanized pork. My English vocabulary in western food is very much limited, almost zero. So I don't understand Doug' sharing lol.

Most Americans think rice is our Chinese people's traditional food. It's not. Rice is the best food in our childhood and we ate it only a couple of times in a year. We ate corn bread, every day and every meal. The picture of the yellow bread that I just uploaded is the corn bread that millions of Chinese people hated. It's rough and dry without any flavors. The black thing I was holding is fungus that grows on wood. So in Chinese it is called "wood ear". It's said the 'wood ear' helps to clean our lung.

American Chinese style

In America, Moo shu pork is served with a small dish of hoisin sauce and several warm, steamed, thin, white tortilla-like wrappers made of flour, called "moo shu pancakes" (Chinese: 木须饼, pinyin: mù xū bǐng), báo bǐng (薄饼, literally "thin pancakes") or just called "Mandarin pancakes"; these are similar to those served with Peking Duck. In the late 20th century, some North American Chinese restaurants began serving Mexican-style flour tortillas, which are thicker and more brittle, in place of the traditional moo shu wrappers.

This topic brings me many new words to learn about food. Dan, the black thing you see in my yellow bread is "wood ear", a kind of fungus growing on wood. My corn bread, most Chinese women know, is far less flavored than what you described. There is no butter, no vanilla, no sugar. In the modern days, no one likes to eat the yellow bread that I made anymore, which makes my cooking very "special" lol.

As for the popularity of American food in Shenyang, I believe, once Chinese, always Chinese. Chinese people still like Chinese dishes as their daily food. If you like to open an American restaurant, I suggest you do what you can, never trying to please Chinese people's tastes. Chinese customers who come to your restaurant are to meet their curiosity or for fun. Most Chinese people don't like cakes being too sweet as far as I know. I like special-looking food. I feel special with American people using "shells" as cases. They put delicious stuff or fillings of meat or something into potato "shell", eggplant "shell", or even pineapple "shell". American food is great and the American people are great cooks. You'll succeed in Shenyang!

Have a prosperous 2015, everyone!!