Finding work for foreign spouse

Hi guys, I know this is kind of specific to the individual, but I'm wondering if anyone might be able to share what their (or their fiance's) experience was with finding work once they received a green card. My fiance has a bachelor's degree, and a couple years experience working for a foreign trade company in China. We plan to move to the San Francisco area after the summer. We don't really know what to expect in terms of her prospects for finding work. Her English level is great, but not spot-on perfect. Anyone who could share their experience or even take a wild guess about the job market for someone like my fiance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Many employers may want the degree evaluated.

However if English is fine, and has experience in international trade, there are many possibilities.

English skills are the biggest barrier. I would think San Francisco would have a lot of demand for people who speak Chinese. Having a large Chinese population they would also have a lot of competition for those jobs. The majority of them speak Cantonese. If your wife speaks both Mandarin and Cantonese that would be a big plus. A degree certainly helps but experience is usually what employers are looking for.

I think if English is "Great" finding a job will be the same as most people. My wife has been on a job quest for a year. She claims she will be happier if she works. I wish she would just stay home. So far I filled out a very long job application on a computer for a large grocery store. She would not have been able to figure out her name and address let alone all the other questions. I must have done well as she got a job interview. She passed the first one but did not get past the second one. She could not get past the "tell me a little bit about yourself". Her english is not good. Now she is in School at a beauty college with her friend who is staying with us. They bombed the first test and had me answering the questions. But they figured it out and did good on the second test and really good on the last test. She has to pass an exam in English for a license after 600 hours of school. The other Chinese lady has been here over 7 years but even though her English is better she still has a hard time understanding English and reading it. I don't know how it will turn out but my wife may have a job if she can pass the final test at a testing center. I was told of a Chinese lady who bought her own nail and spa Business and we went to see her. The lady said when they said comb she did not know what that was. It took her 3 trys to pass the test (at $150 a whack). English seems to be the biggest hurdle for my wife. I am not looking forward to teaching her to drive a car. She has never driven. The other lady owns a car but her husband did not let her bring it which would have been nice. I guess she has a tendency to stop in the middle of traffic among other things. So far being Chinese helps as people seem to think they are hard workers which the ones I know are. I am lazy and not a hard worker. Good Luck!

She claims she will be happier if she works. I wish she would just stay home. Work = RMB, good luck with that one.

Her english is not good. Get her signed up for an ESL class. She will probably met at least 1 other Chinese too.

She has to pass an exam in English for a license after 600 hours of school. Have her check online or at the local China food store. I know she can find the exact test in Chinese with English translation and correct answers. Might have to pay a small fee for it, but she can then just memorize the Q&A and pass the test

I am not looking forward to teaching her to drive a car. Driving school, again from Chinatown. They will even take her to get her license for an extra fee with their vehicle. She needs to drive to help her get independent and work. Just buy an older and heavier used car at first. It will save on insurance and keep her safer.

So far being Chinese helps as people seem to think they are hard workers which the ones I know are. It is the way they were raised. 335 Million vs 1.2+ Billion people. If your not the best or hardest worker, many are waiting in line to take your place. USA = Land of opportunity to get rich and own a business.

• Like 2

She has to pass an exam in English for a license after 600 hours of school. Have her check online or at the local China food store. I know she can find the exact test in Chinese with English translation and correct answers. Might have to pay a small fee for it, but she can then just memorize the Q&A and pass the test

THIS, exactly.

I took a lot of grief for my wife studying herself to death, because I didn't know about this.

My wife studied her butt off for 6 months, and passed the test. Then, one of her friends bought the test, studied the answers, and made a better grade after only a few weeks "study".

A couple of my experiences,

Finding work, This has been a constant struggle, my wife's english is good but not excellent, and her written English even the most basic letters tend to be heavy in the traditional Chinese honorific speak, she tends to write a letter then has me proof it which ends up having me rewrite it, so secretarial jobs are a no go, my wife has had he mind set on running a massage business, but the major barrier here in NY state is the insane requirements to get a massage license.

Driving, This was another major challenge, I personally hold a class A CDL, and in my time taught my siblings to drive and well as professional drivers, my siblings passed road tests on the first try. Now it comes to my wife, Chinese are taught from childhood to learn by memorizing, so the written test to get permit was not hard and the state even offered the written test in Chinese, where the problems came up was learning to actually drive the car, and preparing for the road test, it took a long time to break my wife of the concept of trying to memorize the area she would be taking the road test, and that a road test is demonstrating to the examiner competence in handling a car in any situation because the situation is ever changing. Needless to say it took 6 road tests, driving school after which failed the road test, it ended up me teaching her, and after failed test #5 it finally clicked in her head the concept of driving.

Thanks Ron,

I try my best to give an honest, yet correct answer. If I don't know, I usually just keep quiet. Learned quite a bit about things these last 10+ years. CFL and more importantly, you guys that we have known and gained friendships through.

So I do not mind at all giving back and paying it forward.

I just can't believe how much has changed (process), yet still is just about the same (results) here.

再见 Edited by MikeandRong (see edit history)
  • 3 months later...

If you don't mind your wife working perhaps 72 hours per week for about $2,000 untaxed, under-the-table income, check out the Chinese restaurants anywhere. English often is not needed. Depending upon her work-ethic, et cetera, she will either do great at that work, or become highly motivated to learn English. The Chinese newspapers in New York and Los Angeles have contact information for the "employment" agencies that place mostly illegal immigrants into those jobs. In some cases though, those employers do like legal workers.

I don't recommend those work environments, but they do exist. Most Americans simply don't know enough Chinese language to get to know them on a personal basis.

If you don't mind your wife working perhaps 72 hours per week for about $2,000 untaxed, under-the-table income, check out the Chinese restaurants anywhere. English often is not needed. Depending upon her work-ethic, et cetera, she will either do great at that work, or become highly motivated to learn English. The Chinese newspapers in New York and Los Angeles have contact information for the "employment" agencies that place mostly illegal immigrants into those jobs. In some cases though, those employers do like legal workers.

I don't recommend those work environments, but they do exist. Most Americans simply don't know enough Chinese language to get to know them on a personal basis.

One problem with a legal immigrant working amongst illegals is the potential for a raid - they are unlikely to bother to distinguish the two when they decide who to haul in.

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...

One problem with a legal immigrant working amongst illegals is the potential for a raid - they are unlikely to bother to distinguish the two when they decide who to haul in.

That is where keeping proper ID with her is of utmost importance. I recently checked online. I discovered that in the western United States, Alhambra and Monteray Park are the two cities with those agencies. (Ironically, I grew up in that area, back when it was mostly Hispanic. Now that area has about 700,000 Chinese.) I knew a number of Chinese that got jobs all over the western seaboard, from San Diego up through Seattle from them. Typically speaking, the further away the job is from a location with many Chinese, the higher the pay.

The Chinese women I have information about took one of the three routes already recommended above. Some attended ESL and then the local Technical School to obtain their 'haircut,' 'facial,' or 'nails' license.

Some of the others, one way or another, found the boss who owns the School and thus, the tests, and in short order (pay enough) they all obtained massage licenses for their respective states.

Others continue to work in the Chinese Buffets. Usually for tips only. And also, as mentioned, for long and tedious hours 6 days a week, or more.

One went to work for Panda Express. Hard work, somewhat flexible hours. Benefits. Three noteworthy benefits.

First, up to one month off with only local store manager's approval to return to China (or anywhere else) for vacation and then immediately return to work at the ame job level and location.

2nd, eligible full range of Medical, Dental and eyewear after 6 months of 30 hours minimum per week.

3rd, flexible work schedules. Ability, with managers' support, to accomodate evenings and week ends while you attend school.

I'd like to point out my daughter (recruiter) posted an add in the classified section here.

A customer support company in New York is looking for a mandarin speaker. (yes I know its New York :( .. but maybe help someone)

I think there are other opportunities out there, but difficult to find.

My wife went the CNA, CMA, massage path. However, because she has a "stupid-a" husband she actually studied (very hard) to pass the state massage exam.

Only AFTER she had her license did we find out there was the easy "pay 2,000 for a copy of the test" path.

• Like 1

That is where keeping proper ID with her is of utmost importance. I recently checked online. I discovered that in the western United States, Alhambra and Monteray Park are the two cities with those agencies. (Ironically, I grew up in that area, back when it was mostly Hispanic. Now that area has about 700,000 Chinese.) I knew a number of Chinese that got jobs all over the western seaboard, from San Diego up through Seattle from them. Typically speaking, the further away the job is from a location with many Chinese, the higher the pay.

Another problem with working under the table. It's illegal. If caught and convicted of a crime a LPR can be deported.

• Like 1