Finding work for foreign spouse

That is where keeping proper ID with her is of utmost importance. I recently checked online. I discovered that in the western United States, Alhambra and Monteray Park are the two cities with those agencies. (Ironically, I grew up in that area, back when it was mostly Hispanic. Now that area has about 700,000 Chinese.) I knew a number of Chinese that got jobs all over the western seaboard, from San Diego up through Seattle from them. Typically speaking, the further away the job is from a location with many Chinese, the higher the pay.

Another problem with working under the table. It's illegal. If caught and convicted of a crime a LPR can be deported.

Hence the "Lawful" in Lawful Permanent Resident ( LPR )

• 2 months later...

I think if English is "Great" finding a job will be the same as most people. My wife has been on a job quest for a year. She claims she will be happier if she works. I wish she would just stay home. So far I filled out a very long job application on a computer for a large grocery store. She would not have been able to figure out her name and address let alone all the other questions. I must have done well as she got a job interview. She passed the first one but did not get past the second one. She could not get past the "tell me a little bit about yourself". Her english is not good. Now she is in School at a beauty college with her friend who is staying with us. They bombed the first test and had me answering the questions. But they figured it out and did good on the second test and really good on the last test. She has to pass an exam in English for a license after 600 hours of school. The other Chinese lady has been here over 7 years but even though her English is better she still has a hard time understanding English and reading it. I don't know how it will turn out but my wife may have a job if she can pass the final test at a testing center. I was told of a Chinese lady who bought her own nail and spa Business and we went to see her. The lady said when they said comb she did not know what that was. It took her 3 trys to pass the test (at $150 a whack). English seems to be the biggest hurdle for my wife. I am not looking forward to teaching her to drive a car. She has never driven. The other lady owns a car but her husband did not let her bring it which would have been nice. I guess she has a tendency to stop in the middle of traffic among other things. So far being Chinese helps as people seem to think they are hard workers which the ones I know are. I am lazy and not a hard worker. Good Luck!

Wife got a job a month ago. $7.50 an hour working in a hotel in the laundry. They love her! What a hard job for a low pay! They shorted her two days and I caught it and she is trying to get it fixed. I paid for a nail technician school but her english is not good enough to translate and so far she can not pass the practice test for the license exam. The hours are low enough it has not affected our life much. I still have to drive her to work and back on weekends as bus does not run here on weekends in our small town. I still think if her english was better she could work anywhere. We communicate ok mostly or it is "your Ipad helpa me?"