Flying to China in March

Hey! The wife and I are flying back to China in March, staying till early April. RT tickets at $791 each out of JFK. My passport expires mid-May 2015, our return flight will be April 4. My 2 year visa has expired and I'll be getting another within the next month or so. My question is, with my passport expiring about a month after our return to the USA, and with getting a new visa, will this be a problem? I thought I heard some time ago that you had to have a certain amount of time left on your passport for traveling, like 6 months at least from your departure back to the states. We're prepared to buy the tickets, but if I have to get a new passport, I'll have to wait to buy the tickets because the passport number will change, etc. Any ideas, guys? Thank so much!

Tom

I'm thinking I should probably just renew my passport, then get the 10 yr visa.

If possible, you should renew your passport approximately nine months before it expires. Some countries require that your passport be valid at least six months beyond the dates of your trip. Some airlines will not allow you to board if this requirement is not met.

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/FAQs.html

I would renew it now and then apply for a ten year multi entry visa.

They won't issue a multiple entry visa for any longer than the passport is valid. Since it is now possible to get a 10 year visa it would be in your best interests to renew your passport before getting your visa.