Randy- One more thing is that a minor cannot renounce their USA citizenship until they are 18, so that avenue is closed too. He can travel anywhere a regular Chinese can go, just not the USA on his Chinese passport. It’s a big catch 22. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Just for reference, since this sounds a little more severe than what you should be considering - https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/travel-legal-considerations/us-citizenship/Renunciation-US-Nationality-Abroad.html

Minors seeking to renounce their U.S. citizenship must demonstrate to a consular officer that they are acting voluntarily, without undue influence from parent(s), and that they fully understand the implications/consequences attendant to the renunciation of U.S. citizenship.

This was the word from the Guangzhou consulate all the way back in 2006 about pro-forma visas

http://candleforlove.com/forums/topic/17969-us-citizen-born-in-china/?p=216436

For a child who has both a US and a Chinese passport, if it is the first time for the child to exit China, they will need to come to the Consulate's American Citizen Services Unit (ACS) to make arrangements for a "pro forma" visa. If the child has already been to the US and is now traveling to China, the child should use the US passport when entering and exiting China.

Apparently, you would get the visa through the American Citizen Services unit, rather than the normal visa application route, if you apply through Guangzhou, although you may be directed through the USTravelDocs web site. If so, apply for a regular Visitor's Visa. Be prepared to discuss the FULL details with the Visa Officer, including showing both passports.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey Randy...I’ve been on the road. Thanks for the tips. We really need to keep the PRC PP and I was told in no uncertain terms by the US cons that a minor cannot, under any circumstance whatsoever, give up their USA citizenship until they are 16 ( or 18 some say)

So if we want to visit the USA, I will try to get a Canadian Tourist Visa, land there, cross over using my USA PP, come back to Canada using the USA PP, and fly back to China on the PRC PP that was stamped upon entering Canada. Everything will line up so Hopefully this will work.

Thanks again

Hey Randy...I’ve been on the road. Thanks for the tips. We really need to keep the PRC PP and I was told in no uncertain terms by the US cons that a minor cannot, under any circumstance whatsoever, give up their USA citizenship until they are 16 ( or 18 some say)

So if we want to visit the USA, I will try to get a Canadian Tourist Visa, land there, cross over using my USA PP, come back to Canada using the USA PP, and fly back to China on the PRC PP that was stamped upon entering Canada. Everything will line up so Hopefully this will work.

Thanks again

Thanks for reporting back. Yes, whatever works best for YOUR circumstances is the way to go - all we can do is to discuss the possibilities.

Legally speaking, it IS possible, but I doubt that there's ever a good reason to give up a child's American citizenship - and they would need to be interviewed by the consular official.

Most people keep one or the other - Chinese or American passports - for their children. It's relatively rare that someone wants to keep both.

Keep the pro-forma visa in mind for future trips, in case you run into issues on this one.

• 1 month later...

Hi Randy...thanks for that link to Reddit. Not exactly the same but certainly similar. The Pro Forma is more like a one shot deal to get the child out of the country but we’re coming back as it’s just a summer vacation trip. We need to keep the China PP so we can attend local schools. Anyway, if you hear of anyone doing the same thing with any success, I’d love to hear about it. There was one guy on Reddi who said “why all the drama, I just did it no problems. “ Thanks again

Hi Randy...thanks for that link to Reddit. Not exactly the same but certainly similar. The Pro Forma is more like a one shot deal to get the child out of the country but we’re coming back as it’s just a summer vacation trip. We need to keep the China PP so we can attend local schools. Anyway, if you hear of anyone doing the same thing with any success, I’d love to hear about it. There was one guy on Reddi who said “why all the drama, I just did it no problems. “ Thanks again

The pro forma is a Visitor's Visa in the Chinese passport. If you decide to go that route, work with the American consulate to see what they can do for you - perhaps a 10 year, multiple entry? I don't see why they wouldn't do this, but you won't know until you ask.

It seems to me that would take care of your problem.

But you're the one doing the legwork here - whatever you think is the most expedient.