Soon to be expat

Chris M

Hello everyone, long time lurker; first time caller.

The wife (Chinese citizen/ US LPR) and I (US Citizen) are preparing to make the move to Shanghai and are painfully un-prepared for what we are finding as it relates to visa requirements for me. Starting to wade through it all and looking for some sage advice, I figured this might be a good place.

I have a current M visa valid through 2016 (60 day stays) obviously not ideal. I own my business and have clients in China.

My guess is to apply for the Q1? (looks for nod of approval)

I welcome any advice, comments, words of encouragement, good jokes...

You will need to go to the PSB Entry/Exit bureau with jurisdiction over your residence - most of the administration of the visa types are handled through them - and NOT the overseas consulates.

I've been here since Jan., 2011 without having to make a border run or leave the country. The visa and/or residence permit that you get from the PSB will allow an unlimited stay.

Work permits are another story. You will need to talk to the PSB there, also. Normally, a work permit is tied to a specific employer. I'm not sure what they do for general work like what you want to do - hopefully, they can help you there as well.

• Like 1

You will need to go to the PSB Entry/Exit bureau with jurisdiction over your residence - most of the administration of the visa types are handled through them - and NOT the overseas consulates.

I've been here since Jan., 2011 without having to make a border run or leave the country. The visa and/or residence permit that you get from the PSB will allow an unlimited stay.

Work permits are another story. You will need to talk to the PSB there, also. Normally, a work permit is tied to a specific employer. I'm not sure what they do for general work like what you want to do - hopefully, they can help you there as well.

Randy, thanks very much for the reply. I heard you were the go to guy for this type of thing.

I've been reading that I need to have our US marriage certificate certified by the embassy in DC (live in NC). Is this good scoop? Anything else I should be armed with when I go to the PSB? (which will be in Shanghai)

Randy, thanks very much for the reply. I heard you were the go to guy for this type of thing.

I've been reading that I need to have our US marriage certificate certified by the embassy in DC (live in NC). Is this good scoop? Anything else I should be armed with when I go to the PSB? (which will be in Shanghai)

This one came up not long ago...

http://candleforlove.com/forums/topic/47114-married-in-usa-now-want-to-marry-in-china-steps-to-do-so/?p=615614