Hello everyone! CNA??

Catherineli

Hi Catherine, Happy Chinese National Holiday to you!! As far as I know, nursing is a hard-working field, no matter it is CNA or RN. Of course, if you work at a clinic as a RN, it might be easier, and it is very rewarding..(financially too). When I first came to the states, I wanted to go for nursing, I have never attended College in the states, I assume I couldn't find a decent job, however, within 2 months after I received my greencard, I got a job offer, and I have enjoyed working here ever since.

I think if you are sure that Nursing is a career you would enjoy, then go for it. I also want to go back to school to get a higher degree one day.

Best wishes!!!

Ruby

HI Ruby, I guess I'm in the same state of mind as you were at your initial period of American life. I'm doing my best but preparing for the worst from losing identity. thank you for encuraging me!! I admire your beautiful age!! Is your baby kicking you everyday now? By now I bet you're talking to him or her. A friend of mine has taken a picture of her baby's foot print from outside of her body the moment a foot mark happened to appear on her skin. It looks very funny.

Gosh, you got a big blessing! Happy for you!!

Sending you my best wish!!

Catherine

• Like 1

Hi Dan, thank you for the four pages! I read all of them missing no where. I'm impressed. You're so thoughtful as to even think of my driving ability. I'm not a good driver as I was brought up by bicycles. I had my driver's license last year but I think the guy let me pass only for a mercy on me. I need time and patience just like what I learned from the driving post you give me.

I found all good reliable men are gathered on CFL for Chinese women. All these posts either about driving or working are very moving. I'm happy for those Chinese women who met reliable Ameircan men.

Best wish for everyone!

Catherine

Hi Dan, thank you for the four pages! I read all of them missing no where. I'm impressed. You're so thoughtful as to even think of my driving ability. I'm not a good driver as I was brought up by bicycles. I had my driver's license last year but I think the guy let me pass only for a mercy on me. I need time and patience just like what I learned from the driving post you give me.

I found all good reliable men are gathered on CFL for Chinese women. All these posts either about driving or working are very moving. I'm happy for those Chinese women who met reliable Ameircan men.

Best wish for everyone!

Catherine

Depending on where you live in the USA driving may or may not be an issue. In most of the USA the ability to drive is a must, only large cities such as Chicago and New York, can a person live without a car.

In my experience with my wife, it was a very tough go at breaking her of the China driving thinking, it took about two years for her to learn and get her driving license, it took 6 road tests to pass.

There are many topics tagged "Driving"

• Like 1

RubyA is right of course as she usually is. Like most thing in life it is all about where you are. In a large city, large by American standards that is, I am sure that an RN's job is quite demanding and hard work for sure. Like she said whether large or small town a RN's job in a clinic would be much more relaxed and another even more relaxed atmosphere would be in a doctors office. In small town USA RN's are kind of like the gods of the hospital's even the doctors do not mess with them because they are afraid one might quit. My last wife was in Duke Hospital and the RN's there had more authority about the patients than the doctors. I did not like it there at all because of that an although it is one of the best hospitals in the country I took her out at her request and took her some where else. Like I said, here in the country, where I live, they are supervisors and very seldom interact with the patients but they do work long hours. I know that they work 12 hours shifts here where I live, in the country, but what I don't know is how much time off they have between those 12 hours shifts. Ronny's suggestion about working in a VA hospital might be a good option too as the men and women that go there were in the military and most are more disciplined but I am sure there are the exceptional patient there too. The difference there is that they are more subjected to conduct rules and regulations and if they want to continue with their treatment there they had better follow them.

Dan was telling you correctly about the driving thing as well which is another concern for any job. The largest city nearest to me is Wilmington, NC. They do have public transportation there and the bus system certainly does go by the two hospitals there frequently. Of course there are always the taxi but here in the US they are expensive and they expect a tip. You could use that until you got a car of your own and practice up on your driving until you are comfortable with it. Every Chinese ladies ability to drive does depend on that person. Everyone is different. My wife got her drivers license the very first time that she went for the test but I have to say she is not a VERY good driver. There are always plenty of apartments around hospitals where I live too. I think they are for mostly lived in by older folks that don't drive any longer and need to be close to a medical facility.

Like RubyA said either you will love it or hate it. It is one of those kind of jobs where you have to be a people person. You can talk with one RN and she/he will tell you that she/he would never do nothing else for a living, you can talk to another one, she/he will tell you that it is just a job. Then you can talk to another one that is going to quit just as soon as they can find another career field.

This is just some more information for you to consider. It does make a lot of difference where you decide to live. Of course there are a lot of other careers that you can take up as well.

• Like 1

I guess I'll have to take the American life as my vacation. I can't be too eager and better live with the teaching skills I've already possessed. Dan's driving information does help me!! I've had a psychological bondage that I must curse it broken. I was thrown away hard to the ground twice in my youth when someone was riding a bicycle for me. I was sitting behind when suddenly we were bumped by another bicycle rider. That sudden hit has been hanging around me like a devil. So I fear a lot when driving a car.

I stayed in America less than half a year. My son taught me drive. For fun, I like to share the process that I was taking the test. Here is my copy. You'll understand why I think I passed the test from mercy's sake.

Oh, Larry, thank you for explaining so much for me. I read some of your post in which you talked about teacher's forum. Can I know how I can join in the teacher's forum?

"Another highlight of my peace and joy was my driver’s license. My son had an old Honda. Practicing with his car was no easy matter in the summer. He did not put the air-conditioner in his car because we needed to save for his schooling. In the car, I truly experienced the definition of the word “swelter.” There were times when the August sun poked its nose over our windshield to bake me. My poor son was also steamed from helping me to drive. I was so proud of him who was very patient and helpful with me. I was very happy that at least I had a four-wheeled moving thing called “car” to practice driving. I didn’t have to hire anyone to help me driving. I had a son which means I had a soldier. What made me more grateful with joy was the day when I took my driving test. The appointed time for the test was 12:30, the hottest hour of the day in the beginning of August. The relentless sun insisted on blazing; it intimidated me. When driving, I thought I might have to face a failure of the test because I saw the officer’s sweat dripping down from his nose and his face. The intensity of the moment filled my mind with anxiety. I can’t forget that the stress turned the passing breeze into blast furnace of our car as we drove. With my heart pounding fast, I had driven through a few quiet streets. Suddenly when the officer commanded “Stop,” I felt it all hit me like a wet bale of hay. “Am I to fail?” I would not have complained if he had flunked me because it was so unbearably hot in my car throughout the test. But to my surprise and joy I heard him saying quietly just two words that I wanted to hear most, "You passed!"

As a foreign woman, I had to be legalistic. I didn’t dare to prepare any cold drink for the tester as I didn’t want to be accused of “bribing someone”. I was over cautious with everything. I found I had eight dollars extra in my pocket. So when saying bye to the officer, I gave all my extra money to the poor guy as my thanks or my apology."

Edited by Catherineli (see edit history)