Hello everyone! CNA??

Catherineli

Hello guys! Hello Joecy! Ruby!

How is everyone doing?

Our national holiday is coming. Now I need to catch some Zs because I’ve been as busy as a mosquito in a colony of nudists. l :happydance:

In addition to teaching at school and learning American idioms at home, I was helping a friend whose father’s stomach was removed. He’d had Big C. It’s Chinese way that the cancer patient should be kept in the dark. So I never let the cat out of the bag. The surgery was done very well but the family had to take care of the patient at hospital after the operation, though none of us was trained. We are too wet behind the ears. I was at hospital helping her take care of her father. Once we let her father sleep without giving him any blanket to cover him. He was naked to the waist with only the bandage on the chest. We also thought he might feel too hot so we blew him with an electric fan. To my guilt, the next day the poor old man was having a high fever. This accident again pushes me determined to be a certified nursing assistant after I move to America. I’m often hyped up with my helpful nature, even go bananas but an American woman used to tell me that a CNA is degraded by people, that I might be judged a dirtball. I know I may have to wipe someone’s bottom as a CNA.

When it comes to my future career I also know I have to play by ear. Now I like to hear your opinion toward the social position of being a CNA? What is the general statement to a CNA please? Money never grows on trees. I’m not asking about income from an CNA.
Have a good day everyone! I miss you all!!

I worked as a nurses aid in the 70s when I was in college. Back then you didn't have to be certified. Honestly Yajie it's a dirty thankless job. A woman with your intelligence and English skills would be much better off getting a degree in nursing.

• Like 3

I certainly strongly second what Carl has said. You are certainly to intelligent to be a CNA. Go for the RN position. In my state it is two years at a community college which is nothing as hard as college and not nearly as EXPENSIVE. It does vary by state the best that I understand it though. I was a paramedic for 22 years when I was with the fire department which is not much further away from being a RN these days. As a matter of fact some paramedics are RN. I have a friend that works in the operating room 96 hour shifts gets to sleep when she is not assisting in an operation. She makes A LOT OF MONEY.

Larry

Yajie with your command of English both speaking and writing you should have no problem taking a 2 year :doctor: RN course and acing it.

Xia is a RN in China. The problem my better half has that she only know Chinglish and here writing English is poor. (My Chinese is in poverty.)

In nursing many times you are facing :alldone: life and death situation with the patient and you don't have time to text Google for a translation. We figured it could take Xia 3-5 years of learning both reading and writing English :smartass: before she could re-enter the nursing field here in the US if ever. There is a nursing shortage here in the USA now and it is predicted to get worse as the years go by.

There are many other career opportunities you could look into.

When my wife came to America, she left a job as a senior supervisor at a pharmaceutical company.

I make enough to support us easily, but she didn't want to sit around the house bored all day so she decided to get a job.

She started out with a CNA certificate, takes 2 weeks of class, and a test, done.

Jobs were easy to find, in fact she quit 1 job one morning, and had another that afternoon.

However, CNA is the most degrading job I have seen, and it hurt my heart for her to do that job.

The job is mostly taking care of obese people in poor health, or old people in poor health.

Neither is easy, and both gripe and and verbally degrade the CNA that is trying to help them.

It was a horrible job.

Next she saw that a CMA had it easier, (certified medical assistant) all they did was hand out medicine.

3 months for that certificate.

They required she hand out medicine at the rate of 1 patient every 2 minutes.

During that 2 minutes she was supposed to:

push the cart to their room

record the medicines being administered

wash her hands

prepare the pills, or whatever

give the medicines to the patient

wait until she saw them swallow it

Keep in mind these are old, sick people. Sometimes it took 2 minutes for them to swallow the medicine, much less all the others.

It was pressure, pressure, pressure ALL DAY.

She quit the CMA job and went back to CNA work.

Then, she tried massage therapy.

9 months of school, and LOTS of studying then a test.

She LOVES this job.

People say "Thank you" when she helps them.

People give her tips because they appreciate her work.

In general, she can help people, and the work she does is appreciated.

If I could suggest for you, skip CNA. Even RN, LVN nursing is a dirty job that my wife said she wouldn't want.

Massage therapy, acupuncture, or a technician for sonograms or something like that, all are better jobs than CNA.

Yes, the medical industry in wide open. Most RN's where I live are supervisors they are so few of them. They usually manage a floor or a wing of a hospital ward. They very seldom work directly with the patients unless especially request to do so by a doctor. I don't think that Yajie would have any or almost no problem with her english. She has been to the US before. She would never have to look for a job the job's will be looking for her. The ones that quit are constantly called and are encourage to come back to work.

Of course there are many other fields in the medical industry such as radiology or a lab tech. They are even more rare.

Another suggestion would be a lab tech in State forensic service processing evidence. It takes 12 months to get a piece of evidence here through the process and back to the district attorney's office. All that time the accused has to sit in jail waiting for say DNA evidence to come back when the guy sometime is innocent but has to cool his heels in the slammer.

Just some ideas. I an sure that Yajie won't have any trouble finding gainful employment. She might even get a job with a college or a university teaching Chinese. There is a need for that right in our school system. Our county school system has approached my wife to teach Chinese in our county school system.

Larry

Edited by Randy W
sp. (see edit history)

Hi, Tom, Carl, Credzba and Larry!

You all sound very much encouraging! Thanks a million! I love working for medical field but I've never done anything related to it. RN sounds better. Teaching is the easiest for me. I have a master degree issued by an American College through online learning. I'm not sure if it will be acknowledged officially. I majored Christian Educaiton. Many schools prefer American degrees. I still pray that some university will open its door for me. No one knows tomorrow. Right now I have to let the water off the duck. I'll certainly need your ideas by the time when I must make a decision.

Thanks again, everyone! have a good day! Yajie

Hi, Tom, Carl, Credzba and Larry!

You all sound very much encouraging! Thanks a million! I love working for medical field but I've never done anything related to it. RN sounds better. Teaching is the easiest for me. I have a master degree issued by an American College through online learning. I'm not sure if it will be acknowledged officially. I majored Christian Educaiton. Many schools prefer American degrees. I still pray that some university will open its door for me. No one knows tomorrow. Right now I have to let the water off the duck. I'll certainly need your ideas by the time when I must make a decision.

Thanks again, everyone! have a good day! Yajie

If you took it through an American College they certainly should accept it.

Liren was looking into getting her Phd and many of the courses that she took was acceptable here in America and Duke University here in North Carolina really was trying to get her into the program but alas she decided on the jet ski business just so that she could be with me every day all day. I had been retired for 3 years when she came here. I am a lucky man. She don't need the money now and neither do I so her future is secure. It was not always that way. Many 12 hour days, 7 days a week for 10 years took care of that. I put the business completely in her name.

Larry

I found Randy is quietly helping to make some posts "tidy". Here is my thanks to Randy!

He helps me out to sometimes and his effort is welcome anytime. I have a very bad habit of not proof reading my typing. When I was working before I retired I had a secretary to do that for me and it made me lazy. :shifty: Thanks Randy.

Larry

Catherineli, that RN field LArry is talking about sounds great. I know the VA (Veterans Administration) would hire you quickly. As well as the radiology field is a good one, although I once had a girlfriend who hated the barium enemas...LOL My son and I both have had some dealings with the VA radiologists and I must say they are in a pretty cool field. ANother field is in occupational and physical therapy. In the last 4 years I have spent months of 3 day a week treatments for a torn rotator cuff in my right shoulder. The technicians have done a wonderful job on that shoulder, even kept me from needing surgery. It is a very clean field and other than the schooling you would need it is a very relaxed field to work in once you are hired.

I can only speak for the VA as it is where I go for medical issues. I see many older vets winding up in OT or PT (not any real difference that I can see in the two.All of the workers I have come in contact with are very upbeat folks and seem to truly enjoy their jobs...again, it is clean work, and you would get many compliments as what they do at the VA in that field really helps us old guys. For me, it has been like magic to go in and not be able to raise my arm above my belt, then a few months later have full range of motion with no pain. I could see a person with your upbeat qualities and seeking to help others fit right in with the happy folks I see at the VA in that field.

Yes, you would need the American degree. I checked it out for my wife who was a PA (physicians assistant in China. Her degrees aren't worth the paper they are written on in America.

Good luck

Rawknee

Rawknee! Nice to see you again! You give me another great idea! I'll seriously think of VA field. It seems I don't have to worry about bread someday. I know I can't do too much physical work. For years I've been only teaching ten hours a week. Heck I guess I just have to mellow out for now.

Larry, you're a big gun! Happy for you that God has been blessing you! I used to ask you about my degree being accepted by American government. Later I heard some negative answers. Well, all of your ideas rest assure me! I'm not spooked with my future anymore. But I like some topics with you guys.

You know Ronny it is kinda strange that America will accept almost all Philipine degrees but not Chinese. At least that is what I've been told. 13 years ago I worked a short time at a place and there was a guy there was an old Navy vet there and his wife was from the Philippines and he was the one telling me that. His wife was a nurse too. She didn't have any problems what so ever so he said.

Larry