qq on a computer and on a mobile.

Hi!! I am getting this big headache. Why you ask? Well it is because my old friend QQ. Normally i use qq on my latop. Well I thought i would be smart and load it on my mobile phone. I also tried to load it onto a couple of tablets that I have. In part the reason I was trying to eventually get wechat on some of my devices. I actually did get it on of my old Chinese smartphone. A friend in the states I think got it to work for me. It is odd but that is the only device that I can see her post on. Now my normal everyday smartphone has qq. That is a recent development. I think that started to work when I was in Nanning last month.

The problem that I am having right now is that half of my qq chat goes to my laptop( preferred) and half of it shows up on my mobile phone. I am trying to chat with China but I can't figure if she is connected with me or not. What is happening is that I am seeing some of the messages on my message (AT&T) page. I am worried that I am going to get charged for international messaging. A dollar a message. I don't mind 5 buck a month but at the rate they are coming in it will be in the hundreds. I turn the mobile off and then some of the messages don't seem to end up on my qq laptop chat page. My Lao Po is using an Ipad. Normally she uses a regular computer but she doesn't have access to it anymore. She says that she is using wifi. Having qq on my mobile is nice because It is the easiest and simplest way to talk to Lao Po's Jiejie.

Has anyone else had similar problems when having QQ on more than one digital device? Thanks Danb

No. Sorry.

QQ is an Internet service, which should only incur connection and/or data usage charges, similar to what you pay for general Internet usage. Your QQ messages go to a QQ account - basically, storage on a server - from which you can download as you read the messages through whichever device you wish, whether in real-time, or later. Your device should reflect what is on the server, NOT what has been sent to your device.

Any charges should be for network access, NOT for SMS messages. If you are receiving SMS messages, you need to turn those off.

Using the English-language version ImQQ may clear up some of the confusion.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

ChunMei regularly uses qq interchangeable between her laptop, her tablet, and her phone to communicate with both people here in the US and friends and family in China with no problems. Not sure what's going on with yours. (She is using the Chinese client, though.)

In part the reason I was trying to eventually get wechat on some of my devices. I actually did get it on of my old Chinese smartphone.

Why the topic switch from qq problems to you eventually want to try to get wechat? What does the first- qq, have to do with the other- wechat?

And, what does "...I actually did get it..." You got qq or you got wechat?

I have qq on my desktop, on my laptop, and on my (bought in China) Samsung phone.

I have wechat on the Samsung. There is no correlation, that I know of, between the two.

As for the rest- what Randy said.

My wife is in Nanning now and we have wechatted by text and by audio. We chat video is also now available, I've been told.

Yuehan, sorry I took so long to reply to your question. Sorry if I caused some confusion. The reason for that is because I am confused. Last week I was trying to use QQ to chat with my Lao Po. That is what we have been using for a couple of years. In general it has worked pretty well for us. I have used QQ international that is installed on my laptop with basically no problems. In the past year I discovered that my lao po and some of her family have been using Wechat. I think Wechat is like tweeter. They use it to share everyday events in their lives and links that they want to share with others. My Lao Po really like it. Since last year I have been trying to get wechat on one or all of my digital devices. I have had some limited success with it.I have a laptop, two tablets and three or four smartphones. Most of the smartphones are old and I use them for when I am in China. The problem that I was having last week was that I wasn't getting all chat message on my laptop as I was trying to chat with my lao po. And it was slow. I didn't know what was going on. Normally my Lao Po use the computer at work to chat with me. Last week she was at home and using her IPAD. Me, I was on my laptop but I was also getting parts of the chat on my ATT&T's smartphone messenger app and parts of the chat on my laptop. Just recently,since I had return from a short trip to China I have been using QQ sometimes on my American smartphone. It has been a way to send short messages to various people in China...free...I think. All of my QQ's were downloaded from the QQ international site. Giving it some thought this week I think that all of my digital devices are not synced to each other. Not sure if they need to be.

On my Laptop I have a QQ app. In that app I have tabs or icons that allow me to get to my QQ email, to QQ Chat, to Qzone, ( a blog like app), to Weibo and I have an icon to WeChat. I have yet to get that Wechat to work for me.on my laptop. When I click on the wechat icon it takes me to a page. That page has a big moon on it. It reminds of a scene from ET. At that point I get a 2 or 3D scanning cube. And then I can go no further. Not sure what I am suppose to do. Scan what? So I hope I have shed some light on what was confusing me. It helps me to try to explain things. Organizes my thoughts. Danb

PS, This week I tried to download the latest and greatest version of QQ international What a nightmare that turned out for me. Some malware got on my computer. My computer was useless until a few hours ago. A very experience for me. A novice to computer problems and how to solve them.

. . .

On my Laptop I have a QQ app. In that app I have tabs or icons that allow me to get to my QQ email, to QQ Chat, to Qzone, ( a blog like app), to Weibo and I have an icon to WeChat. I have yet to get that Wechat to work for me.on my laptop. When I click on the wechat icon it takes me to a page. That page has a big moon on it. It reminds of a scene from ET. At that point I get a 2 or 3D scanning cube. And then I can go no further. Not sure what I am suppose to do. Scan what? So I hope I have shed some light on what was confusing me. It helps me to try to explain things. Organizes my thoughts. Danb

PS, This week I tried to download the latest and greatest version of QQ international What a nightmare that turned out for me. Some malware got on my computer. My computer was useless until a few hours ago. A very experience for me. A novice to computer problems and how to solve them.

Your E.T. screen (for WeChat) should give way to a screen with two buttons - 'Log In', and 'Sign Up'

But WeChat is a smartphone application, although it can be used on a PC with an Android emulator - http://www.techrism.com/2014/02/download-wechat-for-pc-windows7-xp-2014.html. Unless you've already made it beyond that step.

The ImQQ download page is at http://www.imqq.com/#download

Hello danb, I'm going to go out on a limb and apply my answer to the problem of qq chats. If that is the problem, and if it were my problem, I would sign out of qq everywhere but one device. I have never used qq by being signed into more than one device at a time. I seems to me that is not possible. Check and see all the places you are signed in.

Reload qq. Yes, back up- required. I hope when you reload qq one step includes a complete uninstall of qq on all devices.

Some virus detectors consider some Tencent software (a qq parent ) to be viruses. In the past, I only ran qq on a device I did not care about. Further, I did not remove nor quarantine anything from Tencent when a virus warning popped up. Doing that may cause unknown problems. So, don't do it. Tell your virus protection to 'allow' Tencent.

First, I double checked by Win 8.1 desktop. Yess qq is still there. No, there are no virus warnings from any of multiple virus scanning programs I use.

I 'see' Wikipedia has this to say:

"...Dispute with Qihoo 360
Main article: 360 v. Tencent

In 2010, Chinese anti-virus company, Qihoo 360, analyzed the QQ protocol and accused QQ of automatically scanning users' computers and of uploading their personal information to QQ's servers without users' consent. In response, Tencent called 360 itself malware and denied users with 360 installed access to some QQ services. The Chinese Minsitry of Industry and Information reprimanded both companies for "improper competition" and ordered them to come to an accord

Government surveillance

Some observers have criticized QQ's compliance in the Chinese government's Internet surveillance and censorship. A 2013 report by Reporters Without Borders specifically mentioned QQ as allowing authorities to monitor online conversations for keywords or phrases and track participants by their user number.

Adware controversy

The Chinese version of QQ makes use of embedded advertisements. Older versions of the client had been branded as malicious adware by some antivirus and anti-spyware vendors. Both the Chinese and International versions of QQ had been tested..."

all links and footnotes removed by poster. See the original article at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tencent_QQ

I think ImQQ, the International version, is a much more conventional piece of software - I never had any trouble with it, or any virus-like behavior.

Jiaying's son had put the Chinese QQ on one of my computers - it was a nightmare to get rid of, between it having hooks in both the registry and the browsers and anywhere else it could to "repair" itself. Finally got rid of it by installing my own, non-executable version of the executable files.