Ticket prices to China

Hi!! I am looking for tickets for my annual trip to Nanning at Xmas. Boy the prices!! They seem high. I want to go from Hartford,Ct. or JFK to Nanning (or Shanghai) from Dec 18 to say Jan 18. I am finding prices for economy class from 1800 to 2300 dollars. The lower prices are if I drive down to JFK instead of leaving from Hartford and/or if I fly into Shanghai( and then have to find domestic transportation to Nanning). Do you thing the prices will drop before say mid November? Not sure if I should lock in a price now. I found one cheaper flight. That is with Aeroflot. $950 from JFK to Shanghai going thru Moscow. Has anyone flow with Aeroflot? Has anyone flown thru Russia? For some reason I am very hesitant flying thru Russia or the Middle East. Is that silly of me? What do you all think or suggest? Thanks. Danb

This summer I made an special trip to Nanning. I was able to get a much better price going to Shanghai and getting a separate domestic flight to Nanning. This time that trick is not working. I have tried to vary my days of travel by a few days and that is not working. do you think that I would be able to get a better price thru a travel agent?

Hi!! I am looking for tickets for my annual trip to Nanning at Xmas. Boy the prices!! They seem high. I want to go from Hartford,Ct. or JFK to Nanning (or Shanghai) from Dec 18 to say Jan 18. I am finding prices for economy class from 1800 to 2300 dollars. The lower prices are if I drive down to JFK instead of leaving from Hartford and/or if I fly into Shanghai( and then have to find domestic transportation to Nanning). Do you thing the prices will drop before say mid November? Not sure if I should lock in a price now. I found one cheaper flight. That is with Aeroflot. $950 from JFK to Shanghai going thru Moscow. Has anyone flow with Aeroflot? Has anyone flown thru Russia? For some reason I am very hesitant flying thru Russia or the Middle East. Is that silly of me? What do you all think or suggest? Thanks. Danb

This summer I made an special trip to Nanning. I was able to get a much better price going to Shanghai and getting a separate domestic flight to Nanning. This time that trick is not working. I have tried to vary my days of travel by a few days and that is not working. do you think that I would be able to get a better price thru a travel agent?

I just looked at Travelocity and the Aeroflot flight for 12/18 JFK- PVG...return... 1/18 was $1,249.00. There is nothing wrong with Aeroflot, or spending hours in the Moscow airport. If you can get it for $950 and don't mind 25 hours to get from JFK to PVG.....nail that flight. You found a good deal for that money.

You are looking to fly at a peak time when you take off that close to Christmas (every country understands Christmas, and prices accordingly), plus you are leaving China at one of their peak holiday times on a Sunday, to boot.

Again, on Travelocity......11/18 JFK to PVG to return 1/18 is $895. That one is a 20 hr. 30 min flight with one stop in Tokyo on Japan airlines.

Travelocity......11/24 return on 1/18............at $911 is 20 hours on Air Canada with one stop at YYZ. (wherever that is)

Flychina.com JFK to PVG 12/18 return 1/18 was $1,165 on Aeroflot. 20 hours over 24 1/2 back *** 11/24 return on 1/18 was $862 on American Airlines 18 hours over 22 1/2 back.***11/24 return 1/15 JFK to PVG was $843 on Delta (you depart JFK arrive back at LaGuardia). I don't know whatsup with that???

You found a great deal (price wise, at least) for those particular dates you posted. What website did you find that on? Is that the full price like Travelocity, or the flight price with taxes and fees to be added, like most websites offer?

Get rid of the Sunday return flight, and as far away from Christmas as you can on the departure. You will find the lowest prices that way.

tsap seui

Thanks for the replies. When I get home from work I will look at all the sites that you all mentioned. One of the sites that I use is the Google travel. But I also use Cheapoair and Delta. The Aeroflex flights show up on Cheapoair. And that is from JFK to Shanghai.

Have to be a little careful reading the small print. But I just checked flights on Dec 18 and returning on Jan 18th on Aeroflex. The price given is $969/1046. The $1046 - a $15 discount is the real price. Small print does it to me every time. The price is a little lower for leaving Christmas eve. I just saw that flychina was mentioned. I have used them before in the past. I will check them tonight.

I figure that from Shanghai to Nanning both ways will cost me another 300-350. The car rental to JFK will cost me about $80 total. I can get an extra 8 days off at Christmas and if I combine my sick and vacation together I get about 30 days in China but I am tied to leaving around Christmas. Otherwise I can only get about 20 days off max. So I am forced to pay the higher holiday prices. Also the return date is a popular date for the foreign student to return to the states for the start of spring semester. It is good to know that Russia might not be a "risque" stop. I just don't have any experience flying in that direction. Thanks a lot again. One of these days I will shock my credit card by not traveling peak traveling time. Danb

PS I am also weighing the flying the option from Hartford to Nanning....all on one ticket. But so far that is more costly. Thanks for listening to my whining.

I figure that from Shanghai to Nanning both ways will cost me another 300-350.

Reckon 300-350 means dollars.

Try this, it is what my wife does. Have someone in China shop for and purchase the discounted air fare for the PVG-NNG r/t e-ticket.

Why?

1. USA based web site prices are always outrageously higher and you will rarely, if ever, see the discounted fares.

2. The e-ticket puchaser must receive a cell phone based, texted confirmation number from the airline. My wife has not been successful using a USA based cell number to receive this code. The code is required to pick up the e-ticket.

3. Tickets purchased from within China by telephone Credit card purchase requires you to enter your cc number, expiration date and cvc code when the agent on the other end tells you to. This system has failed to work 100% of the time my wife tries to buy the ticket from USA. Oh, there is an exception, but not from USA. My wife talked the ticket agent on the China into entering the data for her on that end. Only worked once though. Yes, a big security risk giving out all 3 numbers. Wife doesn't care so much. Not much money in that account, anyway.

So, get somebody over there to buy the discounted ticket(s) and give you the redemption confirmation code.

I figure that from Shanghai to Nanning both ways will cost me another 300-350.

Reckon 300-350 means dollars.

Try this, it is what my wife does. Have someone in China shop for and purchase the discounted air fare for the PVG-NNG r/t e-ticket.

Why?

1. USA based web site prices are always outrageously higher and you will rarely, if ever, see the discounted fares.

2. The e-ticket puchaser must receive a cell phone based, texted confirmation number from the airline. My wife has not been successful using a USA based cell number to receive this code. The code is required to pick up the e-ticket.

3. Tickets purchased from within China by telephone Credit card purchase requires you to enter your cc number, expiration date and cvc code when the agent on the other end tells you to. This system has failed to work 100% of the time my wife tries to buy the ticket from USA. Oh, there is an exception, but not from USA. My wife talked the ticket agent on the China into entering the data for her on that end. Only worked once though. Yes, a big security risk giving out all 3 numbers. Wife doesn't care so much. Not much money in that account, anyway.

So, get somebody over there to buy the discounted ticket(s) and give you the redemption confirmation code.

I see China Southern flight CZ3290 from Pudong to Nanning at $123, and Shanghai Airlines flights # FM9383 and FM9385 at $164, both on Dec. 18 through TravelChinaGuide.com.

On their website through an American VPN, I see these prices as $136, and $177.

Ok. Seeing is believing. And, a ticket in hand is a bird of a different feather. In my case, and only my case.

In the same vein, I have neither the luxury nor the abilty to be inside China with access to an American VPN. I can only speak to my own experience, and in so doing hope to learn from yours.

And at the bottom of the page, it says something like this:

Login Account ____________Password __________ Continue
another edit: so, presumably if you are a Sky Pearl member, or whatever member name, you don't need a code. Couldn't say, I fly with Alaska miles.
Non-members Mobile ______________Verify code ______________Get Continue
So, for us non-members, that leaves entering a mobile number and receiving a code. As stated.

thanks, I think....

edited to add: I did try to use a VPN once, in Nanning. It quickly qut working. When I contacted the provider, they said "China is blocking our Ip addresses." I know your technical skills are far beyond my own. Recall a discussion on some Social Security check deposit dates, for example. haha

Edited by yuehan123 (see edit history)

Ok. Seeing is believing. And, a ticket in hand is a bird of a different feather. In my case, and only my case.

In the same vein, I have neither the luxury nor the abilty to be inside China with access to an American VPN. I can only speak to my own experience, and in so doing hope to learn from yours.

And at the bottom of the page, it says something like this:

Login Account ____________Password __________ Continue
another edit: so, presumably if you are a Sky Pearl member, or whatever member name, you don't need a code. Couldn't say, I fly with Alaska miles.
Non-members Mobile ______________Verify code ______________Get Continue
So, for us non-members, that leaves entering a mobile number and receiving a code. As stated.

thanks, I think....

edited to add: I did try to use a VPN once, in Nanning. It quickly qut working. When I contacted the provider, they said "China is blocking our Ip addresses." I know your technical skills are far beyond my own. Recall a discussion on some Social Security check deposit dates, for example. haha

The lead I'm offering here is on the TravelChinaGuide.com web site. It IS a western web site, but seems to have access to inside China information. For example, their train schedules and prices are the SAME as what my wife sees when she checks. What I'm looking at through my VPN is the prices you would see when connecting to their site from the U.S.

They seem to have a (Western) PayPal option, no? From their web site -

How can I make the payment when I buy the ticket from abroad?

We can accept your payment by three ways, namely Western Union, Paypal and Wire Transfer.

1. Western Union --- swift and safe way of payment

2. Paypal --- instant online payment

3. Wire Transfer --- if dislike using above payment methods;

You will be guided further after receiving your booking request with us.

Can I make the payment by credit card?

You are suggested make the payment by credit card through Paypal, which is more safe and convenient. Please check more details about Paypal by browsing www.paypal.com.

Any VPN's that they (the Great FireWall) WANT to block are a simple matter to do so. Like your provider found out, it's just a matter of blocking access to the server's IP. Commercial use of VPN's and secure links is allowed (and widely used within China), however, so it's NOT blocked in general. Most of the VPN providers use OpenVPN software -

By default OpenVPN Access Server has 2 OpenVPN daemons running. One of them on UDP port 1194 and another on TCP 443. We recommend that you use the UDP port because this functions better for an OpenVPN tunnel. However, many public locations block all sorts of ports except very common ones like http, https, ftp, pop3, and so on. Therefore we also have TCP 443 as an option. TCP port 443 is the default port for https:// (SSL) traffic and so this is usually allowed through at the user's location.

UDP is an "always on" protocol, and much easier for them to spot - especially since port 1194 is a dedicated OpenVPN port. I recommend using the TCP connections where possible, and NOT necessarily the "Best for China" servers, since these are also easy to spot, due to the traffic going to them.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Yuehan, Hello. I have used various travel site in the US and in China. On my last trip in August I am 95 % sure that I used Ctrip:

http://english.ctrip.com/chinaflights/shanghai-to-nanning/tickets-sha-nng/?flighttype=d&dcity=sha&acity=nng&relddate=18&relrdate=46&startdate=2014-10-18&returndate

The page looks the same. The prices were listed in RMB. They ranged from 620-999-1086 RMB or somewhere in that ballpark. When going over I bought my ticket when I was in the states. I paid for the ticket by credit card and picked up my ticket when I got to Shanghai. I showed them my passport and a confirmation letter.

When I was ready to return to the states I bought the ticket online ( definitely thru Ctrip). Picked up the ticket at the Nanning airport. Not 100 % sure if I needed a Chinese telephone number. If I did, I used a friend of a friend's number and they were never contacted.

Total ticket for Shanghai to Nanning, both ways was about 300-350 USD. 400 at the most.

The price for travel between Nanning and Shanghai are pretty good. The time period that I just was checking out were for travel next month ( I just used any dates to check current prices). Not sure how the prices will be if you buy the tickets directly from an airlines and not sure what they require.

The other day I heard that Aeroflot was not that bad of an airlines if you are flying to major international cities. Domestic flight mights not be all that good.

So far Aeorflot from JFK to Moscow to Shanghai seem to be my cheapest option. Then I would buy domestic tickets to Nanning. The VPN stuff. I really don't much about that but I did not need it to buy tickets for flight with in China. Danb

There seems to be a misconception about the use of VPN's - Chinese travel sites are accessible without a VPN, whether you are in China or not.

You can use a VPN to APPEAR to be contacting them from outside the country. I did this to determine the price available to Westerners. The difference appears to be simply that the tax is included in the price shown to Westerners.

Looks like the Ctrip price is under $100 one way

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

UDP is an "always on" protocol, and much easier for them to spot - especially since port 1194 is a dedicated OpenVPN port. I recommend using the TCP connections where possible, and NOT necessarily the "Best for China" servers, since these are also easy to spot, due to the traffic going to them.

....The lead I'm offering here is on the TravelChinaGuide.com web site...

This is definetely way, way over my head. Pray tell, how would I go to China, select (or already have) a VPN and then use TCP?

How about a new thread with step by step details.

And, thanks for the lead to the web site TravelChinaGuide.com I have not used it before.

I have used various travel site in the US and in China.

When I was ready to return to the states I bought the ticket online ( definitely thru Ctrip). Picked up the ticket at the Nanning airport. Not 100 % sure if I needed a Chinese telephone number. If I did, I used a friend of a friend's number and they were never contacted.

Hello danb, Thank you for the clear explanation detailing how you searched, bought, and picked up the ticket. I will be sure to check out the ctrip site more often

....The lead I'm offering here is on the TravelChinaGuide.com web site...

This is definetely way, way over my head. Pray tell, how would I go to China, select (or already have) a VPN and then use TCP?

How about a new thread with step by step details.

And, thanks for the lead to the web site TravelChinaGuide.com I have not used it before.

Talking about VPN's will get you BANNED from some sites (NOT here), so it's probably not a good topic. But still, there are things we CAN talk about.

Like I said, I used it only to simulate connecting to a site from the U.S. - it's not really relevant to the "ticket prices" topic.