Just back from Nanning

Hi, I just got back from a unplanned trip to Nanning. The trip was too short. Just 3 weeks. Wished I had more time. Noticed a few things. Very very hot and humid in Nanning in July. This is the first time that I noticed people in China with tattoos. I never noticed them before. Also noticed the fashions. They are all over the place. And there is such a variety. Lot's of different clother, styles, patterns and coolr schemes. Also noticed a lot more "padding". Looks like the padded bra business is doing well in Nanning. Enjoyed the gathering of all the little kids with grandparent(s) outside the local KFC. Kids, they can be so fun to watch.

I also went to the tallest building in Nanning. about 60 stories high. Less than 45 yuan for a ride to the top and a walk around the observation deck. It is is just behind the 5 Elephant Shopping Plaza. It is interesting to see how big Nanning is and also that it is not entirely flat around the Nanning area. On the ground I never realized those facts. Also it is sad to say that I noticed the pollution. It is not getting better and it is not going away. Also noticed that the subway is still under construction and probably won't be done this year.

I also went down to the Langdong area part of town. Sound like that will be the new downtown maybe. The new Wal-mart is getting a facelift. Visited the new Embassy area that was nearby. When it is completely finished It should be a nice place to visit and stroll about. Maybe a good variety of different countries' restaurants. Consulates for the 10 ASEAN nations and I think there is also a Japanese consulate in that area.

Wish I was back there. Danb

• Like 1

Some interesting info about the subway - http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1519255

Nanning Metro is a metro system under construction in the city of Nanning, capital of Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region, China.

A total of 6 metro lines are planned.

Line 1 commenced on December 29, 2011, and is expected to be completed in 2016 with a length of 32.1 km and 25 stations.

Welcome back, Dan. I told Leiqin and her son, Ning, that I would pay for Ning's trip back to Nanning when he finishes and gets certified as a radiologist in November. He hasn't been back since he and his mama arrived in 2001. Leiqin wants me to go with them. But, I really hate those long flights. And, I often feel like I'm her white monkey that everyone wants to take their picture with.

However, after reading your post, it kind of gives me an itch to return one last time and see all those changes that you write about... hmmm

Edited by Dennis143 (see edit history)

WB Danb! Glad you had a good time but it seems you didn't see "waterbed" that is the first word I learned from you. Americans who are in Changchun say that China is more and more closer to America in the modern time. There is nothing difference in between. Dennis, don't worry about your being white monkey. There are too many monkeys inside and outside the zoo. People who only have two eyes are too busy for the monkey son-in-law to China.

Nanning is only a small part of China, and it doesn't show the whole. The giant has truly awakened.

• Like 1

Danb, I remember you were planning a surprise trip to Nanning. Did you make it? Did you give a sudden knock at their door at midnight when everyone was sleeping? You missed the fun part when sharing. I'm curious now.

Dennis, just an opinion but I think you should go. I usually love my trips to China. Only sad part is when I have to leave. As far them eyeballing you , eyeballing (discreetly) them back. It can be fun. On this last trip I had a habit of going down to a local KFC for breakfast. I would get a window seat and did some serious eyeballing (discreetly of course). Usually right outside that window I see the grandparents bring their grandkids down for a little get together. Babies and kids can be so cute. And they can be so funny when they are learning to react with others. These kids must have been 1 1/2 to 3 years old. Some of them were runners. Grannies were constantly chasing after them. And then there were the touchers. They would see another kid and they had to wander over and touch them and say Hi, what's ups?!! The response from the other kid was always fun to watch. Varied but funny. And then there were the ones that just wanted to share something with some else. I got a kick out of the latest kids hairdo's. Especially the miniature small patched mohawks do's on the boys and the 3 or 4 "sprouting" pig tails on the girls. Perhaps you can tell I like little kids. There are so many new and different things to see and watch.

From that window I often was able to also see the latest fashion trends. I especially like looking at all the young ladies ( 25 to 45 Y y.o.'s.). They seem to have a different fashion sense than westerners. Nanning has changed a lot in the past 7 or 8 years. Some of it has stayed the same but a lot has changed also. I think that I have also noticed a lot more on the last few trips. I usually keep to the main streets but there are also thousand little streets.

Catherine, It was a big surprise but it wasn't at midnight. Because of different travel arrangement that had me routed thru Shanghai instead of Beijing I arrived mid-afternoon in Nanning. This was the first time that I have gone thru Shanghai. In many ways that worked out better for me. I didn't have to worry about getting a ride from the airport at 2 in the morning. All I had to do was go out the door on the first floor of the airport and go straight to the taxi line off I went. BTW the cost was only 121 RMB. Danb

PS: I believe the new airport terminal should be opening at Wuxi Airport very soon. It is direct across the runway from the old/existing terminal. Not sure how but getting to the new terminal will require getting around to the other side somehow. I don't think one can just cut across the runway.

• Like 2