Just got married, will DCF Lawyer or No?

Well, I'm married now (!!!). After the hectic-ness of last week -- with the run to Shanghai, an endless wait at the embassy (6:00AM - 1:00PM), the marriage itself, and the usual bullshit given to us by the local PSB (they sent us to the police station nearest to her residence to get a form from them approving my residence at her parents' house, then they sent us to the police station nearest to my old apartment to get my original residence information, then back to the PSB where they asked my wife to scribble down a letter of invitation for me because, as the cop put it, "i think you need that, i think it's the same as a tourist visa as it is for a marriage one") -- we're gonna take a breather at home for a week. we get my passport back in 2 weeks, hopefully with a six month visa (with the 90-day exit/entry requirement), then i have to change my residence AGAIN (to my wife's family's house, because my old residence info will have finally expired by that time), and finally, we'll start work on her immigration.

So, quick question: Should we definitely use an immigration lawyer? I paid 900 CAD to an agent to help with her Canadian Student Visa, which was denied, so I'm feeling a little burned by the process. But if you all think it's 100% necessary, then I will be hiring an immigration lawyer (we'll just need to decide on if we should get someone local or based in the U.S.). I have a friend that just went through this, for Canada, and he did use a lawyer. It took him 6 months; I'm hoping we can be home for christmas...

It begins!

- Sam

• Like 1

Well, I'm married now (!!!). After the hectic-ness of last week -- with the run to Shanghai, an endless wait at the embassy (6:00AM - 1:00PM), the marriage itself, and the usual bullshit given to us by the local PSB (they sent us to the police station nearest to her residence to get a form from them approving my residence at her parents' house, then they sent us to the police station nearest to my old apartment to get my original residence information, then back to the PSB where they asked my wife to scribble down a letter of invitation for me because, as the cop put it, "i think you need that, i think it's the same as a tourist visa as it is for a marriage one") -- we're gonna take a breather at home for a week. we get my passport back in 2 weeks, hopefully with a six month visa (with the 90-day exit/entry requirement), then i have to change my residence AGAIN (to my wife's family's house, because my old residence info will have finally expired by that time), and finally, we'll start work on her immigration.

So, quick question: Should we definitely use an immigration lawyer? I paid 900 CAD to an agent to help with her Canadian Student Visa, which was denied, so I'm feeling a little burned by the process. But if you all think it's 100% necessary, then I will be hiring an immigration lawyer (we'll just need to decide on if we should get someone local or based in the U.S.). I have a friend that just went through this, for Canada, and he did use a lawyer. It took him 6 months; I'm hoping we can be home for christmas...

It begins!

- Sam

Congrats,

Using a lawyer for filing paperwork is strictly a personal choice, it's your $$$ they have no influence on the outcome. All too often I see them screw up the petition filing or give bad advice. Typically at this point all all lawyer asks you are all the same questions that are on the I-130 and G-325A forms and fills them out for you and attaches the added documentation to the forms, then tells you to go to Beijing or Guangzhou to file it.

Study the instructions for form I-130, in the instructions for relationship evidence at this point it tends to be all you can offer is affidavits from friends and/or family attesting to knowing your relationship.

I would highly recommend you study the DCF topics, ask many questions, and DIY filing a petition is a straight forward thing, as well as organizing the documents attached to the petition. If "bubbahotek" could handle this a two years ago, and I mean he asked a ton of questions start to finish, you can certainly handle this.

All you need is right here, Sam. Lawyers can do more harm than good----in what we've seen posted here on Candle. Everything you need is here, anyhow. It's not rocket science, or trying to defend yourself in court.

Bless his lil' pea pickin' heart, Bubba did it, so can you.

Just study up, ask questions and git er done. Good luck

tsap seui

If a retard like me can do it solo so can you. Just print out each form pin it to the wall. After you have all the forms printed out take them down one at a time and fill them out. system worked for me made me check each form 3,4,5 times over then send them off. lawyer is only needed by someone who dose not break it down it to small steps so you dont feel overwhelmed.

Like many have already said, this can be done solo with no real difficulty. Lawyers often gum up the works using either personal opinions or out of date info. There are, of course, great immigration lawyers out there, but if you just follow the instructions, it is easy to do on your own. The only reason to use a lawyer is if your case has some major red flag or issue in it, like criminal record, previous visa petitions for other people, etc. Good luck and keep us posted. Candle is a treasure trove of info on the process.

I had assistance from an attorney for my wife's iniitial B-2 visa, but all work was done pro-bono. I wouldn't of paid an attorney if that was my only choice. As far as immigrating to the US goes, plenty of people here have been in your shoes, and they're are a plethora of topics to get you through this process. I agree with others, unless you want to just spend the cash, you'll likely be fine on your own with resources such as this site. That being said, there's something to just being relaxed; if having an attorney helps you sleep better at night, then that's another thing. Just be cautious on which attorney you choose, and make sure they are familar with China specifically. DCF cases, in my mind are different county-to-county

• Like 2

Unless there are unusual circumstances a lawyer is not needed. Even with a lawyer you still have to do most of the work gathering up the needed information for the forms. Look at it this way, no one cares more about your petition than you do. If you still feel you need one I would recommend Marc Ellis. He's familiar with the consulate and has handled some tough cases there.

• Like 1