Americans like to use Brand names vs. generic name!

Joecy

What I would like to know, and I think it is critical to the Chinese shoppers here, is whether or not outlet stores are actually selling the same quality items that are sold at the main stores. I know I've brought a lot of Chinese visitors to Coach outlet stores (and they parted with a lot of cash) but I'm reading here and there that "everybody knows" it's not the same as the first quality stuff as is at a real Coach store in a high end shopping area. (this link)

So, if anybody has first hand information on that, I would like to know if this is true,

Greg

Interesting question, Greg. Here in SoCal there are Chinese business women who hire and caravan Chinese women (my wife included) on shopping sprees to these outlets to specifically buy Coach purses. The outlets limit a maximum purchase of 3 purses. So, they buy those 3 purses times 10 women equals 30 purses and the LaoBan pays them each $50 cash for their time. I'm told that the purses are taken to China and sold for 4 times or more over the outlet purchase price.

Let's face it, it's the brand name and the belief that the purse is the real deal are what's important to the women who end up buying them. Apparently, this outlet buying is a profitable business.

A friend of my wife does this too except the Coach outlet stores in the Portland area (3) allow 10 purses. My wife goes along once in a while. They give her $35.00 when she does. I'll have to tell her they give $50.00 in LA.

The 3-pcs maximum quantity was just a guess. It's pretty much an all day deal, as they caravan to the Palm Springs Coach outlet which is ~100 miles away.

Of course Leiqin had to have her own Coach purse and spent her earnings on two of them.

• 4 months later...

What I would like to know, and I think it is critical to the Chinese shoppers here, is whether or not outlet stores are actually selling the same quality items that are sold at the main stores. I know I've brought a lot of Chinese visitors to Coach outlet stores (and they parted with a lot of cash) but I'm reading here and there that "everybody knows" it's not the same as the first quality stuff as is at a real Coach store in a high end shopping area. (this link)

So, if anybody has first hand information on that, I would like to know if this is true,

Greg

What we noticed with Coach was the outlet carried lots of last years design. It is undetectable to most everyone, unless you know what this years and last years design looks like.

Wife told me the easiest way to tell if it was fake was to wait till it rains. If the Coach bag is held over your head to keep the rain off you, its fake, because it does not matter if it gets wet. If it is held under your shirt, then its real! :secret: