Social Tips or Comments to help the ladies...anyone?

Doug

If your going to do a tailgate party you have 2 options. If the group you are going with is on the religous side take the old relaible PBJ. = Peanut butter and jelly. If your going with a group of "Good Ole Boy Rednecks pack up a 7 course meal. = a six pack of beer and a ring of bolanga. NASCAR vids will help too. Mei wenti.

Haven't been to a tailgate party(too old??), only walked by some at the concern parking lot. Loud music and drinks.

I had to search what is a "ring of bolanga". The Amercians' habit of using brand name is very unique, and drives me crazy! (we should definitely start a new topic on this!!) Like "please hand me a box of Kleenex" , why don't you just say "hand me a box of tissue paper" and bring some sausage?!

http://www.eckrich.com/public/images/pages/products/lunchmeat/bologna_cotto_salami/ringbologna.jpg

And what is NASCAR vids? :threeques:

If your going to do a tailgate party you have 2 options. If the group you are going with is on the religous side take the old relaible PBJ. = Peanut butter and jelly. If your going with a group of "Good Ole Boy Rednecks pack up a 7 course meal. = a six pack of beer and a ring of bolanga. NASCAR vids will help too. Mei wenti.

Haven't been to a tailgate party(too old??), only walked by some at the concern parking lot. Loud music and drinks.

I had to search what is a "ring of bolanga". The Amercians' habit of using brand name is very unique, and drives me crazy! (we should definitely start a new topic on this!!) Like "please hand me a box of Kleenex" , why don't you just say "hand me a box of tissue paper" and bring some sausage?!

http://www.eckrich.com/public/images/pages/products/lunchmeat/bologna_cotto_salami/ringbologna.jpg

And what is NASCAR vids? :threeques:

What is ring bologna? - it's a processed meat. One thing I miss about American food is the BIG variety of sausage, wursts, and other luncheon meats - which I can only rarely find any equivalent of in China. Chinese people seem to have their OWN expectations about the way meat should taste. We buy a western-style bacon and hamburger meat on our runs to Nanning, but that's been it so far. Don't get me wrong - I like the food, and I'm eating well (probably better than I did in the states), but there was more variety available to me within a five mile radius of home (that included Chinatown, by the way) than what I see here.

Here's a social tip for American men...

Thinking of Ruby's pregnancy reminded me of Chinese friends who were secretly trying to have a baby. My wife confided in me that "Nancy" was finally pregnant. I was so happy that the next time I saw them I came up and congratulated them on the wonderful news.

Instead of thanking me, they both stared at me sheepishly and told me that it was bad luck to congratulate someone during their first month of the pregnancy. I felt bad and tried my best to cheer them up by telling them that "I give them my lucky".

A week later Nancy miscarried. Until this day I think they blame me for their bad luck. That was two years ago and they're still trying. :(

Edited by Dennis143 (see edit history)

Every woman has a deep deep sense of self protection, esp in a foreign country with many men around. By personality I laugh a lot but on this point I can't be myself. I mean I have to put on a solemn face on some occasions. I can't imagine what they do when I hear some Chinese women are molested by their men boss at work. There is such news on the Chinese forum where most Chinese women share about American life.

Now there is a subject.

What is it like for you sisters coming here with all of us wolf, hound, tongue wagging men in the USA? :eyebrow: I mean I have noticed for years how the Chinese men just don't seem to notice the women. Of course obviously they do, but ............. I bet we turn around, stare too much or too long, say something, etc. etc.

Randy, you found bacon that looks and tastes like real bacon? :happydance: :victory:

Wow Dennis, sorry man.

• Like 1

Every woman has a deep deep sense of self protection, esp in a foreign country with many men around. By personality I laugh a lot but on this point I can't be myself. I mean I have to put on a solemn face on some occasions. I can't imagine what they do when I hear some Chinese women are molested by their men boss at work. There is such news on the Chinese forum where most Chinese women share about American life.

Now there is a subject.

What is it like for you sisters coming here with all of us wolf, hound, tongue wagging men in the USA? :eyebrow: I mean I have noticed for years how the Chinese men just don't seem to notice the women. Of course obviously they do, but ............. I bet we turn around, stare too much or too long, say something, etc. etc.

Randy, you found bacon that looks and tastes like real bacon? :happydance: :victory:

Wow Dennis, sorry man.

Yes - we buy USDA Choice ribeye steaks, Uruguayan mozzarella cheese, New Zealand butter, steak seasoning, French's mustard, and the bacon all for prices comparable to or less than what you'd pay in the states. The bacon is a Chinese brand "Western style" - a REAL Western-style. We go to an wholesale store in Nanning about every 4 months.

gallery_1846_685_125720.jpg

• Like 1

Now there is a subject.

Wow Dennis, sorry man.

Yes - we buy USDA Choice ribeye steaks, Uruguayan mozzarella cheese, New Zealand butter, steak seasoning, French's mustard, and the bacon all for prices comparable to or less than what you'd pay in the states. The bacon is a Chinese brand "Western style" - a REAL Western-style. We go to an wholesale store in Nanning about every 4 months.

gallery_1846_685_125720.jpg

My wife is quite watchful now about food when she goes back to China. The milk "scare" really affected her, and another scare happened when the government caught this guy injecting meat with water from a filthy pond to add weight. She said the government in her area rarely published such problems. She has become quite an organic eater now and looks carefully at what she eats. She does not like beef because of the concern for spoilage and bacteria, but she loves American sausage if it is pork, which is OK anytime in her book. She boils it to the bone though. I have tried to explain to her that salmonella and other food borne illnesses occur in anything that is protein and does not have lemon or other bacteria retarding properties. She leaves chicken soup out all night and will boil the heck out of it in the morning. I will not touch it. She does not know the 40 to 140 in 4 hour rule.

The water was my only real concern when I visited China (along with the air pollution), as it is with every country I have visited. I lost 5 lbs in one week when I first visited China. But I thought I ate pretty well.

As to how she handles men, I do not have a clue what she really thinks. But I think she trusts American men too much, though she tells me Chinese men can be very cruel.

Edited by Allon (see edit history)

My wife likes to go for a walk in the woods. She is always bringing back stuff to cook. :unsure: Sometimes I eat it but most of the time I pass.

Does she pack heat when she goes on these walks, Cuzin' Chawles? :huh: What sort of varmits does she tote back fer the table?

In relation to the topic of the thread, one of the things that confused my wife when we first arrived in America was the various names that menu items had in fast food joints, especially hamburger places like Wendy's, Burger King, McDonald's, etc. A quarter-pounder, for example was a source of consternation as she felt the burger was nowhere near four ounces. She was at least familiar with the Whopper, because I had a pair of jockey shorts that advertised that this was the Home of the Whopper. :gleam: (Just kidding). Wendy's was pretty simple as they had single, double, triple - but a place like Hardee's (Carl's out west I think) was a source of great confusion with their various kinds of "Thickburgers." Then of course there was the plethora of fast food joints to begin with - Taco Bell, Arby's, Pizza This and Pizza That, Chik-fil-a, and on and on.

We have to go to a Chinese grocery store when we are out of rice!

How do you cook that thick steak? Do you have a grill in Nanning?

My wife is quite watchful now about food when she goes back to China. The milk "scare" really affected her, and another scare happened when the government caught this guy injecting meat with water from a filthy pond to add weight. She said the government in her area rarely published such problems. She has become quite an organic eater now and looks carefully at what she eats. She does not like beef because of the concern for spoilage and bacteria, but she loves American sausage if it is pork, which is OK anytime in her book. She boils it to the bone though. I have tried to explain to her that salmonella and other food borne illnesses occur in anything that is protein and does not have lemon or other bacteria retarding properties. She leaves chicken soup out all night and will boil the heck out of it in the morning. I will not touch it. She does not know the 40 to 140 in 4 hour rule.

The water was my only real concern when I visited China (along with the air pollution), as it is with every country I have visited. I lost 5 lbs in one week when I first visited China. But I thought I ate pretty well.

As to how she handles men, I do not have a clue what she really thinks. But I think she trusts American men too much, though she tells me Chinese men can be very cruel.

Hi Allon, thanks for the sharing!

Lose 5lbs first week in China? How do you do it? I have gained 10lbs since I'm in the US, can't get ride of that extra!!

What is the 40 to 140 in 4 hours rule?

Food in our house is interesting. I am an Asian Indian, vegetarian for the most part, married to a Chinese woman who will eat anything that moves.

For some one who had never even seen Indian food she can cook damn good Indian food, she is from Guandong and most of her food is bland and I like mine Heart Attack style.

Eating out is always a problem, She does not care for Italian food, Mexican may be, Indian is OK but mainly because she can order extra for take home so she does not have to cook for me for a couple of days. In American food she likes wings and steak but does not care for the burgers and the taco bells.

Vacations, what a difference an year makes. Made the "mistake" of taking a Chinese woman to Jamaica in January of this year. she would not go in the water or the sun let alone wear a bathing suit, can not get dark you see. She hated my idea of a vacation, to sit around and do nothing but drink and eat for a week.

Guess what, she has now realized the value of a vacation my style and come January we are going to the Dominican Republic. She would have preferred the Cayman Islands, because thats where the Rich go on vacation. :whistling:

We have to go to a Chinese grocery store when we are out of rice!

How do you cook that thick steak? Do you have a grill in Nanning?

Same way I used to cook it in Texas, even when we had a big ol' bar-b-q grill in our back yard - just in a plain ol' frying pan. I learned from the New York Times to use more heat and flip it more often, though.

We're in Yulin, about 3 hours east of Nanning. We do the steak run about once every three or four months.

Food in our house is interesting. I am an Asian Indian, vegetarian for the most part, married to a Chinese woman who will eat anything that moves.

For some one who had never even seen Indian food she can cook damn good Indian food, she is from Guandong and most of her food is bland and I like mine Heart Attack style.

Eating out is always a problem, She does not care for Italian food, Mexican may be, Indian is OK but mainly because she can order extra for take home so she does not have to cook for me for a couple of days. In American food she likes wings and steak but does not care for the burgers and the taco bells.

Vacations, what a difference an year makes. Made the "mistake" of taking a Chinese woman to Jamaica in January of this year. she would not go in the water or the sun let alone wear a bathing suit, can not get dark you see. She hated my idea of a vacation, to sit around and do nothing but drink and eat for a week.

Guess what, she has now realized the value of a vacation my style and come January we are going to the Dominican Republic. She would have preferred the Cayman Islands, because thats where the Rich go on vacation. :whistling:

Well Sam you will fit right in with the Cayman Island folks. :happydance:

Larry