How to hug? specially someone who's not your husband?

Joecy

When my wife first came to America permanently after she had been here for say 3 months she told me that she would not be telling me that she loved me several time a day and perhaps she would not tell me that at all sometimes. I would tell her several times a day that I loved her so much. She explained the Chinese way of showing affection and I accepted that.

As time went on and I would get up in the morning before she did and after I got dressed I would come over to her and kiss her on the forehead. She would pretend to still be asleep but I knew she wasn't. One morning I was in a hurry to greet a customer and I did not kiss her. When she got up she was despondent all day and she finally told me what was wrong. She said that you did not kiss me this morning don't you love me anymore. I told her of course I do but I forgot because I was in a big hurry and was late meeting a customer. There was so much relief on her face that she grabbed me and hugged me so tight and told me how much that she loved me.

In the last 14 years she tells me how much that she loves me every day several time a day. In the evenings after everything quiets down she will always come and sit in my lap and look up at me with those beautiful brown eyes and tells me that she never knew what love was until she met me and that she could never live without me now. She had never been married before. She will sit in my lap several hours sometimes and maybe even go to sleep for a while. That time of the day is what I live for.

Larry

• Like 10

When my wife first came to America permanently after she had been here for say 3 months she told me that she would not be telling me that she loved me several time a day and perhaps she would not tell me that at all sometimes. I would tell her several times a day that I loved her so much. She explained the Chinese way of showing affection and I accepted that.

As time went on and I would get up in the morning before she did and after I got dressed I would come over to her and kiss her on the forehead. She would pretend to still be asleep but I knew she wasn't. One morning I was in a hurry to greet a customer and I did not kiss her. When she got up she was despondent all day and she finally told me what was wrong. She said that you did not kiss me this morning don't you love me anymore. I told her of course I do but I forgot because I was in a big hurry and was late meeting a customer. There was so much relief on her face that she grabbed me and hugged me so tight and told me how much that she loved me.

In the last 14 years she tells me how much that she loves me every day several time a day. In the evenings after everything quiets down she will always come and sit in my lap and look up at me with those beautiful brown eyes and tells me that she never knew what love was until she met me and that she could never live without me now. She had never been married before. She will sit in my lap several hours sometimes and maybe even go to sleep for a while. That time of the day is what I live for.

Larry

This is so good man. Brought a tear to my eye.

• Like 2

Larry

This is so good man. Brought a tear to my eye.

Larry, I can see how you treasure those precious moments. Such a special time. When Li and I were first together, she also rarely said I love you. Now, however, she says it many times each day and always when she is on the phone with me from work, or shopping, or whatever. Her last words are always "I love you." For me, it is especially meaningful coming from a woman who comes from a culture where that is not the norm. In terms of affection, she has always been very affectionate, kissing and hugging in public even when we lived in China. Of course, she got more than a few nasty looks from others when she did so, but Li has never been a woman who cares about that.

When we went to China earlier this year, we visited my wife's cousin who lives in Songjiang outside of Shanghai, and she took us for a walking tour of Thames Town (aka 'Fake Town'), and she couldn't believe that after 8 years of marriage we still hold hands when walking. She was like 'nobody married does that here'.

• Like 1

Larry

Nice story Larry, really nice!!!

I love it when the lil' rabbit climbs in my lap, gives me hugs out of the blue, or puts on that Al Green CD and starts taking off.....OPPS too much info. :giggle: :yay:

tsap seui

Agree, hug and saying "I love you" are contagious!

My mother-in law always says I love you before hanging up phone, but I couldn't say that, because I don't even say " I love you" to my parents. One time after talking and laughing, she said ," I love you" , and I said "I love you too," There it is. It then became easy to say ever since.

Still not sure whether I will say "wo ai ni men" to my parents.....

• Like 1