Starting the CR1 Process for Chinese Husband in Beijing

Hi Everyone,

Like most, I'm a bit intimidated to start this whole process and thank god there is this site for help!

A little about me - I'm American living/working in Beijing for over 8 years, met my husband 7 years ago, were married in China 3 years ago and now are ready to move back to the States.

I'm trying to get all the paperwork/forms and steps straight and am really struggling where to start.

How to go about it all? Step one - file the I-130 in Beijing and then...?

Thanks,
Jen

HI Spidercat, welcome you to CFL! Your husband must be a Chinese. Now I give you a link http://usa.bbs.net/bbs/01/index.html

It is similar to CFL but it gives more information in Chinese. Also, I tell you that your husband will get green card automatically when going through the customs, since he has already married over two years. Your location is one more convenience for you. You're living in Beijing so you can go to Beijing Embassy to find out the details about the document job. You submit your papers to BJ Embassy directly. So it's easier for you than others. As long as you can prove that you have enough finance with the right affidavit, it will only take a couple of months.

Best wish for you!

Catherine

Welcome to CFL,

Since you have been married more than 2 years now the visa will be IR-1 not a conditional resident (CR) visa.

Yes you will file an I-130 petition in Beijing, them a couple months go by and Guangzhou consulate will contact you and give you instructions.

A BIG step for the interview in Guangzhou will be proof that you did not give up US domicile and how you will support an immigrant after arriving in the USA.

Study topics tagged DCF, Domicile, and I-864

http://candleforlove.com/forums/tags/forums/DCF/

http://candleforlove.com/forums/tags/forums/Domicile/

http://candleforlove.com/forums/tags/forums/I-864/

Best of luck!!

You and are in a similar position and have a similar background. Look forward to seeing how your case proceeds, because it will basically be the same path we follow at some point down the line.

Thank you everyone - Catherineli for the Chinese BBS, dnoblett for the links, dan1984 for the support, and msittig for the timeline and tips!

I, like a few others here, have been mistakenly filing my taxes under single status the past 3 years. But, thanks to CFL - I called up my accountant in the US and he got right on the W-7 application and 1040X (amendment). Both of which he said are pretty easy and painless to do.

I'm sure as I prepare the next few steps, most importantly filing the I-130 here in Beijing, I'll have some more questions - thank goodness there is CFL! :-)

• Like 2
  • 6 months later...

Thank you all again for your help. Unfortunatley, I haven't started filling yet, I was out of comission so to say due to medical reasons (thyroid tumor/sugery), but now that's all behind me and we're eager to get this green card biz done and over with. :-)

So while I'm re-rolling my sleeves up again and untangleing this process, I have a few questions about the financal status. Like I mentioned before, I've been filing my taxes every year and my accountant is handling the amendment for the past 3 years we were married. For 2014, I'm filing with my husband, so we've already righted that wrong. :-)

The real question here is while I make above the poverty line, most of my money is here in China. I have talked with my boss (I work for an American IT company) and getting a letter promising my position in the US is not an issue. Will this suffice or should I still have a joint-sponser?

Also, if I have a joint sponser, does that sponser have to live in the same state my US residence is? I'm planning on asking my brother who lives in Boston, but my US residence (mailling address for bills, credit cards, everything - aka Mom's house) is in Michigan. Also, we're planning on relocating to the Chicago area (where my sister lives - her husband could be a joint-sponser if that's easier). Will this be an issue?

Welcome to CFL, and glad you're better now. I wish you the best.

Other experts will have to answer your questions. I think your letter from the boss is OK, and I would for sure get it. I don't know about the co-sponsor, but let the experts speak.

The real question here is while I make above the poverty line, most of my money is here in China. I have talked with my boss (I work for an American IT company) and getting a letter promising my position in the US is not an issue. Will this suffice or should I still have a joint-sponser?

Also, if I have a joint sponser, does that sponser have to live in the same state my US residence is? I'm planning on asking my brother who lives in Boston, but my US residence (mailling address for bills, credit cards, everything - aka Mom's house) is in Michigan. Also, we're planning on relocating to the Chicago area (where my sister lives - her husband could be a joint-sponser if that's easier). Will this be an issue?

1) That's precisely what the consulate is looking for with regards the affidavit of support, that employer letter should indicate what you do, your salary, and that this income will continue after arriving, if this amount is well above 125% poverty line, then a joint sponsor should not be required.

2) If you do use a joint sponsor, they just need to live in the USA.

Basically, your employer letter should state

"To whom it may concern: (first name,last name) has been employed full-time with the XYZ Company since 200_ as a (name of your job), and is an employee in good standing with an annual salary of $XXXX. Signed, John Doe, Supervisor (or whatever title)" The letter should be on company letterhead.

One more thing, the I-864 affidavit of support, taxes, and employer letter will be needed at visa interview later in Guangzhou not when filing the I-130 in Beijing.