Our Social Security System is in trouble

http://budget.senate.gov/democratic/banner_new4.jpg

Kent Conrad for president

If you ignore thirteen of my fourteen reasons to dump Bush it is hard to ignore number one even if you are a rabid republican. The national debt is a very serious issue that can no longer be ignored. Bush's economic policies are bankrupting the nation.

TAKE THE CREDIT CARD AWAY FROM THAT MAN

I was looking at one of the files from Tony's link:

http://budget.senate.gov/democratic/charts...alsec022704.pdf

It is terrifying to see the overspending that has been occuring over the last 4 years since Mr. Bush entered into office. The projections if he was to remain in office over the next 4 years are staggering. The best graphs show the increase of deficit spending and national debt over the past half century. The flat spots and dips show when the Democrats were in office.

I am sure that Mr. Trump, Mr. Bill Gates, and the Walmart family need more tax cuts..... They definately need to build more personal wealth. We wouldn't want their retirement funds to be short a couple of billion dollars while we cut the rest of the people's social security benefits down to far below the poverty level.

------ Clifford ------

Clifford,

First of all there is no SS trust fund with money in it. There are just IOU's from the general fund. This was started by LBJ. Before him, there was accually money there. These accounting practices were fine tuned by Enron's accountants.

The only reason Clinton could say he had a surplus was because he was using SS funds to cover his deficit. The national debt has gone up each year since JFK.

The National Debt could be cut almost in half if the pols would acknowledge that all future payments from the so called trust fund will come from general revenue. We could write off the debt that the govt owes to SS, lump all the income together like it is being done anyway and do away with the interest payments on that half of the debt. The only down side that I see is that the pols would have a hard time raising SS taxes in the future.

BTW, I am getting mine now!

I miss Bill Clinton as the president. He plays with women, not with guns or taxes.

On Bush, the tax cut is good, but war really, really bad. I don't blame him, I blame his dad for that. He kept on saying Jr. was a non-good drunk and would never amount to anything when he was only 30. Now in office he got to prove to his dad he can do better than the old man. How better to prove it? Get that guy. Did any one remember his interview right after the capture with Barbra Walters? When he talked about his dad calling to congradulate him, his face just lit up. He just couldn't hide his joy. Finally he proved his dad wrong. The deficit did shoot up a bit and indeed a few hundred Americans died. But which is more important? A psycologically healthy president or the other stuff.

People gets killed every day in other parts of the world. The government did not and could not intervene every where. The rape room, I can imagine existed in most of the Latin American dictatorships set up with American help. What should we do? Kill our own agents if they rape or torture or kill a few?

The bottom line is, war cost money and lives. It is better not to get involved unless absolutely have to.