Healthcare and Pre-existing Conditions

What if my fiancee has a pre-existing medical condition when she arrives in the U.S. Most health insurance companies love to deny coverage based on such things unless the person had previous health insurance. Does China have the notion of health insurance? Does it qualify as previous coverage when applying for benefits? Does the Affordable Care Act (ACA) not prevent insurance companies from denying coverage?

I was just curious if anyone else had experience with this set of issues.

Thanks,

-scovitz

Thanks Dan. I checked them out, but my question is not pertaining to insurance during the interim period between arrival and marriage, nor does it pertain to having social security numbers. My fiancee and daughter will have insurance retroactive from the day of arrival via a "domestic partnership" family status that my company's insurance provides.

My question is about gaining health care with pre-existing conditions (that my fiancee has). I believe that the Affordable Care Act prevents discrimination based on pre-existing conditions but is that only for ACA plans or all plans? I also believe that some health plans will cover pre-existing conditions if the person was previously covered by insurance. My question is whether China has health insurance or is it recognized by insurers as providing insurance to qualify for inclusion even with a pre-existing condition? I was curious if anyone had any experience on the topic.

-scovitz

Scovitz,

My company did not care about pre-existing conditions when my wife joined my plan.

Some companies have a 90 days clause, in that they wont cover pre-existing conditions for the first 90 days, but I think they all will at some point.

The best answer for you is to check with your company.

The HR department will be able to tell you the exact answer.

Most of the large companies (especially those that were self-insured) I worked for in the past DID cover pre-existing conditions, like credzba said. Most of the smaller ones did not.

Yes, the Affordable Care Act requires ALL companies to cover pre-existing conditions, with potentially some exemptions.

China has health insurance, but it may be difficult to impossible to use in the U.S.

The best answer for you is to check with your company.

The HR department will be able to tell you the exact answer.