Inviting Relatives for a visit

My father-in-law was just approved for a visa. I wrote a letter of invitation and an affidavit of support but they asked for neither.

They asked him why he wanted to come and he said for my wife's MBA graduation and when our baby is due in December (Did I mention my wife is due in December :) )

They asked him if he had any evidence and showed a copy of her green card and her student ID and the VO said "Congratulations, you are approved."

My wife and I filled out the visa application for him, I listed my wife as inviting him and me as the person who assisted in filling out the application.

For a friend it might be a bit more difficult but I was surprised how easy it was as my father-in-law is a widower with limited assets.

Beachey, Congrats on your wife's pregnancy!!! How's she feeling these days??? I missed Chinese food so bad........by the way, My due date is in 01/2015. I recently applied for B2 for my mom in Shenyang Consulate, the only thing the visa officer asked is my invitation letter, after she read my letter, she told my mom that she's approved. I was surprised that the visa officer didn't ask any finance related to my mom at all.

Congrats again!!!

Ruby

• Like 1

My father-in-law was just approved for a visa. I wrote a letter of invitation and an affidavit of support but they asked for neither.

They asked him why he wanted to come and he said for my wife's MBA graduation and when our baby is due in December (Did I mention my wife is due in December :) )

They asked him if he had any evidence and showed a copy of her green card and her student ID and the VO said "Congratulations, you are approved."

My wife and I filled out the visa application for him, I listed my wife as inviting him and me as the person who assisted in filling out the application.

For a friend it might be a bit more difficult but I was surprised how easy it was as my father-in-law is a widower with limited assets.

Beachey, Congrats on your wife's pregnancy!!! How's she feeling these days??? I missed Chinese food so bad........by the way, My due date is in 01/2015. I recently applied for B2 for my mom in Shenyang Consulate, the only thing the visa officer asked is my invitation letter, after she read my letter, she told my mom that she's approved. I was surprised that the visa officer didn't ask any finance related to my mom at all.

Congrats again!!!

Ruby

Crimany, we must be doing something wrong... well keep trying. Congratulations to yours Beachey and Ruby's baby announcments!!

• Like 1

Congrats again!!!

Ruby

Crimany, we must be doing something wrong... well keep trying. Congratulations to yours Beachey and Ruby's baby announcments!!

Thank you, Dennis.

Here's my invitation letter if you'd like to see:

Dear Visa officer,

My name is xxx. My husband, xxx, and I would like to invite my mother, (name) -passport no. xxx, to visit us here in the US in December 2014 to celebrate Christmas, and Chinese New Year together. She will be staying with us during her visit at our home that is located at xxxx (home address)

I came to the US in January 2010 through K-1 Visa. My husband and I got married in xxx, MS, on 03/20/2010. I started working for Mississippi Department of xxxx as a (job title) since 11/01/2010. My annual income is xxx. I became a US Citizen at U.S. District Court in Jackson, MS on 01/23/2014. My naturalization certificate No. is xxx. I have not visited my family in China since I came to the US, because I have been busy working and adjusting to the lifestyle in the US. I really hope my mom could join us for Christmas and New Year’s in the US.

We will pay all the expenses for my mom’s round trip ticket, living, and traveling in the States. It will be my mom’s first trip to the US. We will try to make her feel as comfortable as possible to experience the life here in the States. My mom is currently retired and operating a daycare with my sister, which is the reason that she couldn’t stay long with us in the States.

Your kind consideration to this request will be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

signature

----

P.S. My mom said after the visa officer read my letter, and said she is approved, she also said to my mom " so you missed your daughter's wedding " my mom said yes. It makes me feel very grateful that the visa officer cares and feels for my mom, and understand how much a mother misses her daughter.

Anyway, I wish you the best luck too.

Congrats again!!!

Ruby

Thank you, Dennis.

Here's my invitation letter if you'd like to see:

Dear Visa officer,

My name is xxx. My husband, xxx, and I would like to invite my mother, (name) -passport no. xxx, to visit us here in the US in December 2014 to celebrate Christmas, and Chinese New Year together. She will be staying with us during her visit at our home that is located at xxxx (home address)

I came to the US in January 2010 through K-1 Visa. My husband and I got married in xxx, MS, on 03/20/2010. I started working for Mississippi Department of xxxx as a (job title) since 11/01/2010. My annual income is xxx. I became a US Citizen at U.S. District Court in Jackson, MS on 01/23/2014. My naturalization certificate No. is xxx. I have not visited my family in China since I came to the US, because I have been busy working and adjusting to the lifestyle in the US. I really hope my mom could join us for Christmas and New Year’s in the US.

We will pay all the expenses for my mom’s round trip ticket, living, and traveling in the States. It will be my mom’s first trip to the US. We will try to make her feel as comfortable as possible to experience the life here in the States. My mom is currently retired and operating a daycare with my sister, which is the reason that she couldn’t stay long with us in the States.

Your kind consideration to this request will be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

signature

----

P.S. My mom said after the visa officer read my letter, and said she is approved, she also said to my mom " so you missed your daughter's wedding " my mom said yes. It makes me feel very grateful that the visa officer cares and feels for my mom, and understand how much a mother misses her daughter.

Anyway, I wish you the best luck too.

Thank you for this, Ruby. We will give it a try. Really appreciate your sharing. Wish us luck. :) Dennis

• 1 year later...

Hello, I have not been here for a while, I couldn't even get on without re-registering with a different email. I am trying to help my wife get together the appropriate paperwork for her mother and sister to visit. Where do I start? Do write the invite letter for the VO or to my inlays? do I need an I-134? Please point me in the right direction, thanks Mike & Yizhen Chicago. Married 9 years last october

Hello, I have not been here for a while, I couldn't even get on without re-registering with a different email. I am trying to help my wife get together the appropriate paperwork for her mother and sister to visit. Where do I start? Do write the invite letter for the VO or to my inlays? do I need an I-134? Please point me in the right direction, thanks Mike & Yizhen Chicago. Married 9 years last october

Similar situation for my wife and I 2 years ago, we attempted to get visit visas for Mum and Sister, when they applied together they both were denied, so we ended up having just mum apply for one for herself and got a visit visa.

Anyway, a standard letter of invite should be provided, simply detail what your plans are for their visit, and where they will stay and who is paying for expenses like airfare, food, transport etc...

Also provide an I-134 to show that you plan on providing support while they visit, attach the usual financial documents like IRS transcripts to show income is sufficient to provide support.

Also study topics tagged B-2 http://candleforlove.com/forums/tags/forums/B-2/

Yizhen has 4 sisters and her mother, the brother just passed away at 56, lung cancer more than 4 packs a day since he was 12. He was very very wealthy, his 2 eldest children are 29 and 25 they have control of his vast fortune. Mom has property and money, sister has property, money and a good job at the factory, her husband is not coming this time. Do I need to file I-134? I don't have taxes for 2014 yet are they necessary? Do I write the letter to the VO or to mom and sister? Thanks Mike

Also, do I need to help them in writing/filing their applications?

They have sufficient income and bank balances to handle their own trip, We will Invite them, and offer to pay for everything including Medical insurance while they are here, they will be staying in our home, and we will be going to FL to visit my parents. My dad just turned 97 Thanksgiving day and my mom is 86, maybe their only chance to meet them!

Edited by turbo9616 (see edit history)

Just to add to the background, mom has a home, money in the bank, 3 daughters, numerous grandchildren, and great-grandchildren to return home for, sister has a husband, three sisters, 2 homes, a very good job and many nieces and nephews. They never expressed any wish to live here in the US. I am not sure how I got my wife to move here but I'm glad she did!

Edited by mikepellicore (see edit history)

I started to fill in the DS-160, and when I went to retrieve, it said the surname and date did not match!!!! surname is only 2 letters!! what to do next? can I print a paper copy of the blank form so I can get all the info before I complete the electronic form? will relatives in China be able to open and sign? Is it better to have them fill it out in Chinese?

Hi, I am still in the same place! I can't retrieve my mother in laws DS-160, It says the info does not match the application ID. What should I do? her surname is only 2 letters and it asks for the first 5! I can not find a paper copy of the DS-160, every link directs me to the electronic filing, I want to get all the info first, then go to the site and file electronically. will I have a problem if I start a new application for my mother in law??? Thanks, Mike

No paper DS-160, just the online system, after doing that and you get the miserable pleasure of the CGI Stanley site to pay and schedule interview.