Wife flying to China very soon - anything changed?

Hi all. My wife is flying to China in the very near future to visit her parents for the first time since coming to the US to marry me. She is bringing her Chinese passport, her green card, and a certified copy of our marriage certificate/license. Are these still the items she MUST bring in order to leave/re-enter the US?

Also, is it common to be detained upon coming back to the US after leaving/returning for the first time since receiving green card? Just wanted to try to get an idea of what she should expect based on experience from others

thanks all :-)

Don

Nope, you have the bases covered, and no, it is very rare for POE to detain a green-card holder for any additional questions unless the green-card holder was away more than 6 months.

Make sure you book air tickets using the name as appears in the passport, typically maiden name.

My wife has been over to China twice since marriage, first time was on green-card second time using her American passport, both times no problems.

Ditto here. My wife has traveled back and forth from China many times since we moved back to the States in 2003. No hassles any time, except once when she was flagged for bringing in an herbal medicine that contained extract of a palm tree that is on some endangered plant list. Customs agents must have been having a slow day or were bored. But other than that, never any problems related to I.D., green card, passport, etc. Of course, now, it is a moot point as she is a U.S. citizen.

That's reassuring Mick. I guess after going through the LONG steps to getting our K1 I just get a little ansy about her leaving the US for a month to go back to CN. Sounds like it's all pretty cut and dry as long as she has GC, PP, and marriage doc

thank you