Has anyone applied for and received a Q2 visa without needing an invitation letter from someone in China (i.e. your marriage certificate was sufficient even though your spouse has a Green Card).

Experience with the Consulate in San Francisco is preferred since that's the jurisdiction I live in but any experience is helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Has anyone applied for and received a Q2 visa without needing an invitation letter from someone in China (i.e. your marriage certificate was sufficient even though your spouse has a Green Card).

Experience with the Consulate in San Francisco is preferred since that's the jurisdiction I live in but any experience is helpful.

Thanks in advance.

"Requirements" are at two levels - one set by a visa service, if you use one, another by the person accepting the application, and a third set of official requirements.

We have heard reports of visa services "requiring" that the invitation be an actual letter postmarked within China, while others get by with a hand-written or emailed letter from their spouse. Visa services tend to err on the side of more stringent requirements.

For a "Q2" visa, you may even be given a short-term (30 day) visa, with the expectation that you will go to the PSB upon arrival if you need a longer stay (or more entries).

Best would be to have the letter handy, and apply at the consulate in person.

Then again, maybe someone will come along with some actual experience to report.

• 2 months later...

Update and FYI

We submitted the following (for me and my daughter):

• invite letter (per instruction
  • copy of letter writer's ID card (per instruction)
  • copy of our marriage certificate
  • copy of required docs for daughter's visa application

Here are the results:

• I was issued an L visa valid for 1 year, multiple entry, authorized 60 day stay upon each entry
  • My daughter was issued an L visa valid for 1 year, multiple entry, authorized 90 day stay upon each entry.

Thanks in advance.

I just filed for a Q2 visa for my buddy about two weeks ago.

I requested 24 month multible visits with 180 day stay.

One week later he recieved his visa.

Q2: 24 month multible visits with 180 day stay is listed on visa.

Documents sent:

• invite letter (Has to be hand writen now)
  • copy of letter writer's ID card.
  • copy of wife passport.
  • copy of our marriage certificate.

I used Oasis China Visa

Edited by NUWORLD (see edit history)

Just today I got my first Q2 visa. 2 year with 90 day stay, multi entry, from the Houston, TX consulate

Last Thursday:

I submitted original marriage book, which she handed back

copy of marriage book, she only needed the main page with pic.

printed email letter of invitation, IN CHINESE, from wife. (Wife had no idea what the seal thing was, so no stamp or seal.)

copy of main page of US passport, + the passport of course.

copy of next trip airline ticket, which she handed back

My application was for an "L" but I asked her about the "Q" visas, so she changed it.

Regular US Passport size photo worked, but they need to be taped on, NO STAPLES ON ANYTHING!!!

I've always had L visas in the past for one year multi entry for family visits, or double entry when it was work. I just figured that was all I would get, but I like this 2 year visa thingie. I finally read about the various kinds of visas, so that is why I asked. I had no idea they had a 2 year type.

Cost was $140.00 total.

There is no same day, or next day service unless a medical emergency now, so I had to make 2 trips. (I've always had same day service for years for all my past visas.)

Edited by Doug (see edit history)