Does your wife overstuff luggage to the point of bursting?

My Ex-pat contract is coming to an end. To make sure that we have enough luggage Yuan packed almost everything yesterday to make sure we have enough space, good idea. She weighed each bag to not exceed 23 kg. Also a good idea, but the bags were about to burst at the seams from her overfilling them.

I stupidly said why not buy another bag to ensure that we have no zippers fail from being overstuffed. My company is paying for the excess luggage fees so we would only be out the 120RMB for the cost of the bag.

She had a conniption fit worthy of commentary from Bill Cosby. I have learned enough that I just shrugged and said just an idea.

Do other Chinese woman not understand that when you overstress things that they tend to break and or wear out faster?

ChunMei left for China Sunday for 10 weeks. she took two suitcase, and weighted them very carefully before we went to the airport. Our bathroom scale showed them at 50 pounds each. At the airline check in one of them came at 51 pounds, but US Airways cut us some slack and didn't charge for the extra pound. But for the 40 minutes we sat together before she went through Security she was worrying about what she could take out to bring it down a pound when she got to Beijing before she boarded her Nanning flight. :rotfl:

Haven't heard from her yet, so I don't know what that worked out.

Heard from ChunMei this morning. She emailed me from an internet café because it will take another 2-3 days before she has live wife in her parent's place.

This trip she was thrilled to learn that she didn't need to pick up her luggage at LAX and haul it between terminals and re-check it. She was able to check it through all the way from Denver to Beijing. Unfortunately, when she checked it in Beijing for her flight to Nanning they sent it to Hong Kong! Took an extra day to get it back to Nanning.

Murphy in action, I guess.

My wife stuffed a suitcase so full I couldnt even move it, she tells me to put it on the scale so I break my back getting it on the bathroom scale and it shows 49.

She is all proud saying "see it is only 49lbs" I respond to her "The scale is in Kilos"

I was still wrong at the end of the discussion.

• Like 2

Of course you were wrong. You should of had the scale set for pounds and not Kilo's.

And did you make the mistake of telling her it was to heavy before you used the fork truck to place it on the scale? That also would of been a mistake.

• 1 month later...

I haven't been here for awhile. I just logged in to say hi and saw this and I had to laugh out loud.. Yes, Yes and Yes LOL.

My wife can pack 3 full suitcases worth of stuff into 2 - no problem. So can my stepdaughter. Perhaps a skill taught as part of the education system.

Regards,

TB