Wife traveling to China. Which name to use on her flight tickets?

Hi all. My wife, who is a perm. resident in the U.S., will travel to China in a few months from the U.S. to visit her family. I wanted to see if anyone has experience wtih this and can tell me which name we should put her airline tickets in.

Her Chinese passport has - Her First name and maiden last name

Green Card has - Her first name and her married last name

U.S. drivers license has - her first name and her married last name

Should we just put her first name and maiden name on the air tickets or put her first name and married last name and carry a certified copy of the marriage license?

I've seen other posts about this in the past but was unable to find. Any help would be appreciated

Thanks all!

When traveling internationally always book plane tickets using name as shown in passport.

Will do. Thanks Dan! Also, since her passport name is different than her married name shown on her green card.....does she need to carry a certified copy of our marriage license? Just wondering what they will be looking at when she comes back to the US and goes through customs at the airport

thanks

It is recommended to have a simple photocopy of marriage certificate handy to show if questioned why name on green card is different than passport.

My wife traveled to China a while back and was fine without the marriage cert.

I have the same problem. My wife just went to China and I was glad her passport and green card showed the same names. Her ID and SS# card show her first name and married name. I was going to change her green card name to her married name but maybe I will leave it. It was an emergency trip, her family told her she needed to leave the next day for a very sick mother. I didn't have time to check on anything. I think she should get back in the USA with her green card. So far so good. Thanks for the tip about a copy of the marriage license. I did not think about that but the way it is I don't think she will need it.

One last question for you folks that have experienced this. Would you suggest we book the tickets through Expedia or go through a travel agent? I don't know that one is better than the other. Appreciate input from anyone that has experienced this

thanks all

Whichever is cheaper or whichever airline you have a miles account with.

Sometimes it pays to check the airline sites directly if you are flying into a major airport. Delta had a great deal last week PVG-Buf 679 one way. Be careful on the layover times. That delta flight only had 1:45 minute layover which is not even close enough for GC holder and checked luggage.

Dan...I forgot to ask Is your wife's passport in her maiden name and green card in married name?

thanks

It was, until she naturalized and became a US Citizen. But yes, her green-card was in married name, and her Chinese passport is maiden name, even the new Chinese one she got a couple years ago when she renewed it is in maiden name.

Now she has a US Passport in married name and no longer has a green-card, so the only issue is she needs to apply for a Chinese visa the next time she travels home, and can book using married name.

Ok. that's reassuring. This is her first time traveling back to China since coming here a few years ago and with the green card and Chinese passport having different names I am naturally a little concerned.

So if she travels with the following things she should be good?

- Chinese passport

- Us Green card

- copy of marriage certificiate

When at the Chinese airport to come back here will the Chinese customs people need to see anything other than her Chinese passport or will they need to see her green card too?

thanks so much

Ok. that's reassuring. This is her first time traveling back to China since coming here a few years ago and with the green card and Chinese passport having different names I am naturally a little concerned.

So if she travels with the following things she should be good?

- Chinese passport

- Us Green card

- copy of marriage certificiate

When at the Chinese airport to come back here will the Chinese customs people need to see anything other than her Chinese passport or will they need to see her green card too?

thanks so much

Yes, when leaving China, they will need to see the passport and green-card, they need to confirm that the Chinese citizen can leave China (Passport) and can enter the USA (Green-card) and if they question the change in name they sometimes ask how name changed (Copy of marriage cert)

When entering the USA at the POE, the customs officer will ask to see passport, and green-card, rarely would they question the name change, they understand this.

One last question for you folks that have experienced this. Would you suggest we book the tickets through Expedia or go through a travel agent? I don't know that one is better than the other. Appreciate input from anyone that has experienced this

thanks all

I used a google search

https://www.google.com/flights/#search;f=RNO;t=SHA,PVG;d=2014-04-03;r=2014-04-07

Reno <-> Shanghai PVG at $1000 Round Trip, then use a domestic agent in China to book domestic flights.