Yes, what you claimed as marital status on returns used with the I-864 will make a difference,

Here is an example of one advised to file as single instead of married, and it may have been the red-flag that caused a denial.

http://candleforlove.com/forums/topic/42423-denial-letter/?p=563628

Great, so I guess I have to amend my 2013 tax return then. How do you obtain TIN numbers?

So why would you file as single when you are married? THAT is the red flag.

On another note note - if you're relying on the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion, you must file to take advantage of it. If you earned more than a taxable amount of income (around $9300), you may be required to file in order to claim the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion.

I'm not trying to evade paying anything; I don't even truly understand filings. My mom filed all my back taxes for me, but from what you say, it seems like I'm screwed and I've already scheduled our interview. I do have the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion filled out. I really don't know what to do here because if it really will be a red flag, then I guess we must hold off until I've got a TIN number for him.

No - you can file a corrected return TODAY, showing married, filing separately. You don't need an ITIN to do this.

So why would you file as single when you are married? THAT is the red flag.

On another note note - if you're relying on the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion, you must file to take advantage of it. If you earned more than a taxable amount of income (around $9300), you may be required to file in order to claim the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion.

I'm not trying to evade paying anything; I don't even truly understand filings. My mom filed all my back taxes for me, but from what you say, it seems like I'm screwed and I've already scheduled our interview. I do have the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion filled out. I really don't know what to do here because if it really will be a red flag, then I guess we must hold off until I've got a TIN number for him.

No - you can file a corrected return TODAY, showing married, filing separately. You don't need an ITIN to do this.

That's all it involves? Can the return be amended online? The 1040 asks for spouse's SSN and name, but of course, hubby does not have a SSN.

That's all it involves? Can the return be amended online? The 1040 asks for spouse's SSN and name, but of course, hubby does not have a SSN.

You can file by mail or online - just keep a copy to turn in so you don't need the transcripts.

To file online, you will need to get past the SS number field for your spouse. If it requires an entry, try 000-00-0000 or 'UNABLE' or some such. If it won't pass the mustard (verification), you will need to mail in a paper return. You can still make a copy of it TONIGHT for submission to the consulate.

One other question about P4: does that come by mail or is it picked up at CITIC bank?

P4 is the interview date. As for document to enter the consulate, I believe you print out the confirmation sheet from the webpage you set the appointment on, they do not send you anything for P4.

http://www.ustraveldocs.com/cn/cn-iv-appointmentschedule.asp

One other question about P4: does that come by mail or is it picked up at CITIC bank?

P4 is the interview date. As for document to enter the consulate, I believe you print out the confirmation sheet from the webpage you set the appointment on, they do not send you anything for P4.

http://www.ustraveldocs.com/cn/cn-iv-appointmentschedule.asp

Ok, great, and I've just found all the info about the medical exam and such.

Edited by mekluger (see edit history)

You can file by mail or online - just keep a copy to turn in so you don't need the transcripts.

To file online, you will need to get past the SS number field for your spouse. If it requires an entry, try 000-00-0000 or 'UNABLE' or some such. If it won't pass the mustard (verification), you will need to mail in a paper return. You can still make a copy of it TONIGHT for submission to the consulate.

I've amended my return, sent it in by mail, and printed out a copy. I was able to bypass the SSN field by putting in "000-00-0000."Thanks for this invaluable advice.

• Like 1

I've amended my return, sent it in by mail, and printed out a copy. I was able to bypass the SSN field by putting in "000-00-0000."Thanks for this invaluable advice.

That's great! I'm glad to hear that that worked! Now, hopefully, that won't turn up under eVerify as Abraham Lincoln's old SS number or something like that! :rotfl: