Approved, pending document submission

Hi all. Thank you for your insightful information on this thread so far.

msittig I had a quick question regarding the medical examination, as I too am in Shanghai. I notice that you traveled to Guangzhou for yours but have read elsewhere that there are designated physicians in Shanghai. When the time comes, is it possible for me to do mine here in SH? Also, will I need to leave my passport in GZ after the interview? - I will need it to return to Shanghai.

Hi all. Thank you for your insightful information on this thread so far.

msittig I had a quick question regarding the medical examination, as I too am in Shanghai. I notice that you traveled to Guangzhou for yours but have read elsewhere that there are designated physicians in Shanghai. When the time comes, is it possible for me to do mine here in SH? Also, will I need to leave my passport in GZ after the interview? - I will need it to return to Shanghai.

The IV (Immigrant Visa) Instructions list one location in Shanghai for the medical examination

2F. Bld 3,No. 15 Jin Bang Road, Shanghai

Tel: (021)62699006/62697117

Basic medical examination fee: RMB1100 for adult, RMB640 for child

http://photos.state.gov/libraries/guangzhou/47024/IV/IV%20Instruction%20GSS%202013.pdf

What Randy W said. We did the medical examination in Guangzhou because the medical center is across the street from the consulate, while the Shanghai location was 1) a little more expensive, and 2) some distance/time away from our home. We didn't leave immediately after getting the visa, so my wife *did* do a round of follow-up vaccinations in Shanghai and it went smoothly.

As for the passport, another forum poster talsi, a foreigner in China, was in your situation and within the last couple of weeks was able to keep their passport for the return journey and then submit it to the consulate through CITIC to get the visa attached. Here is the post where talsi mentions this, you could reply to ask about the details:

http://candleforlove.com/forums/topic/46570-need-help-with-the-ds-260-workeducationtraining-section/?p=611143

• 5 weeks later...

To quote the document titled "Immigrant Visa Instructions" that was e-mailed to me by the consulate before the interview, you need to:

☐ Provide a detailed resume (in both Chinese and English), including all professional and educational history. Please be
sure to include the following information:
● A complete list of all of your employers and all specific job responsibilities and projects
● Any publications you have written. Note titles, descriptions and dates of all publications. Be as comprehensive as possible.
● A list of all foreign destinations visited, including dates and purpose of travel.
● A work plan explaining where the applicant(s) will seek employment after immigrating to the United States.

That said, we forgot to translate ours into Chinese, and it didn't become a problem (I suspect this was because my wife's resume is not particularly interesting)... but I wouldn't risk it again.

Edited by msittig (see edit history)
  • 1 month later...

Hello All,

I successfully underwent the visa interview May 22nd. Because I am a foreigner living in shanghai, I needed my passport to travel back so did not leave it at the consulate at the time.

I resubmitted it through citic bank on Monday 26th May (3 weeks ago). Since the visa was approved (as stated by the interviewer and the letter I was given at the time of the interview), I imagined getting my passport back would be a fairly quick process, but as of now, my status on CEAC is still "administrative processing" (last updated today). My question is really what happens at this stage and why it might be taking so long. If anything further was required would they have let me know?! I am just getting a little anxious because I have a flight booked July 1st. Any insight would be much appreciated.