Leaving China via Beijing Airport and baggage questions

Heck, I didn't even know a person could check in online. I've traveled through Beijing 7 times and each time it had changed...the biggest change when they opened the new international airport a few years ago and you had ot ride a bus from the international airport to the domestic and visa veresa.

I don't mind checking in in the airport in SHenyang or in Beijing to pick up my boarding passes and give them my luggage.

In Beijing you should arrive in the domestic airport, get your luggage and haul it out to a bus that takes you on about a 15 minute ride to the international airport. Find the Delta check-in, give them your luggage and then catch a trolley to the gates. My last time doing that United's check-in had gotten easier in the International airport. It's a crowded place for sure. I too always had a seat assignment on United.

In 2011 when we left China we were in the very last group that had free 2nd bags. If we had bought the tickets to the US a day or two later we would have had to pay the $70 fee for the 2nd bag....boy there were some pissed off people with the new change. Sorta funny to sit and watch them bitch and harass the poor check-in folks...then hand over the freakin' loot.

Good luck finding your way around the two airports in Beijing. It's a trip in itself but not that bad....and as I found, it always changes. Check-in was the one place where I knew what I was doing....LOL Soon you'll be sitting at your gate thinking it was nothing, as you start missing your girl.

tsap seui

Well it is 5:45 in the morning. Can't sleep that well. Got a email response from Delta's online support. Actually I have gotten several responses. No help. This trip has been a great trip for me. ..... But for several Hi-tech(nical) problems with phones, Airline issues, and computer access type problems. Probably everything eventually will work out when I get to the airports but it just so frustrating. Never had so many problems on previous trips.

I would like to complain to Delta but don't feel that will get me so far. Delta customer service hasn't impress me on this trip. The two terminals issue. I had forgotten about that one. In the past I had taken that into account when I was booking the domestic and international flight separately. Since I had booked everything thru Delta i was hoping I wouldn't have an issue. Danb

You'll be fine. Once you get from the domestic to the international airport in Beijing everything will go smooth...except the leaving your woman and having thoughts of having to get used to American food again.

Damn how I hated leaving my woman over and over again. It got so bad towards the final trip when she finally got her visa and could leave with me to America that the leaving each other got so bad she wanted to just not go to the airport in Shenyang to see me off anymore....I had to agree with her, lets just say our goodbyes in our home, it was getting too hard to go through the damned airport goodbyes again, and again and again and again...let her ex-husband (the taxi driver) take me to the airport, I knew the routine from there. I would be so broke up having to leave that lil' rabbit each time, I swear, going to Vietnam that second time was much easier than having to say goodbye to Wenyan. Soldiering up was much easier than man-ing up.

You'll be just fine.

tsap seui

It is not always necessary to change terminals in Bejing. My wife is in Beijing right now, on her way to Nanning. She asked about this 3 hours ago when she landed.

The answer? It depends on which airline you are flying domestically. Specifically, International flights arrive at Terminal 1. Both China Eastern and China Southern also use Terminal 1 for their domestic flights. End result- No terminal change required.

any other airline? Couldn't say, my wife suggested to me, "look it up on the Beijing Terminal map." Naw, I'm not flying. I don't care.

Edited by yuehan123 (see edit history)

Heck, I didn't even know a person could check in online. I've traveled through Beijing 7 times and each time it had changed...the biggest change when they opened the new international airport a few years ago and you had to ride a bus from the international airport to the domestic and visa versa.

Good to see your wife didn't get the free bus ride. The views are not that much to look at anyhow....LOL

I'll try and remember the exact China flights that don't have to take the bus ride when we go over later this year....but will probably forget and pick an airline that gives us the bus ride....lol Just don't tell my wife. As I remember, the airlines out of and into Shenyang didn't give us much time to transfer, or we had to wait a long time in Beijing...it is pretty confined as to which airline to use to get the best timing. Maybe we'll luck out with this latest change, maybe not. There is always standing room on the bus :rotfl:

tsap seui

I have ridden the bus many times from the main terminal to terminal 1 to transfer to a domestic flight to Wuhan. last week we arrived and my wife had booked China Air which is right there in terminal 3 -- the lines were long but it is so so much easier to stay in the main terminal when catching the domestic flight

I'll try and remember the exact China flights that don't have to take the bus ride when we go over later this year....but will probably forget and pick an airline that gives us the bus ride....lol

tsap seui

Well, as it turns out, I don't remember squat either. But I can tell you this. We know somebody. Don't you love the somebody said stories...?

Well, here goes, the former Shengyan lady College chemistry teacher who now lives in our town flew back to Shenyang for the New Year. Her husband said.......drum roll here, please....' She Did Not Have to Pick Up baggage in Beijing, it went straight to Shenyang.'

Oh, yeah, no terminal change either.

And so it goes.

I'll try and remember the exact China flights that don't have to take the bus ride when we go over later this year....but will probably forget and pick an airline that gives us the bus ride....lol

tsap seui

Well, as it turns out, I don't remember squat either. But I can tell you this. We know somebody. Don't you love the somebody said stories...?

Well, here goes, the former Shengyan lady College chemistry teacher who now lives in our town flew back to Shenyang for the New Year. Her husband said.......drum roll here, please....' She Did Not Have to Pick Up baggage in Beijing, it went straight to Shenyang.'

Oh, yeah, no terminal change either.

And so it goes.

That's funny. I'm not even gonna tell my wife about that, unless, she and our son are traveling by themselves, as I will still have to through the check in, unless Shenyang has changed and can check my foreign butt in there...although, come to think of it I do believe SHE is an international airport, I've just never seen the guys and gals in uniforms that can punch my passport with the red stamp....maybe they have that too, now. I'll just plan on the standing room bus ride in June or so, but I thank you for the current updated info. :victory:

tsap seui

Sometimes I feel like I may actually be a crab, riding on the prick of progress. :rotfl:

Edited by tsap seui (see edit history)

Hello, I did make it back to the US. A lot of the info that you all gave me was correct. It was very helpful Thank You all. I did get a help number for Delta. It is:

Online Customer Support Desk in China at 400-120-2364.

I called them on the day that I left and they were helpful. Getting that phone number took about 3 emails. They knew about the issue of China Southern not have the correct itinerary number. When I got to Beijing I didn't have to change airports. Thank Goodness. I did have to pick up my baggage. Also to catch my international flight I had to exit the internal passenger airport area. Go up a floor and go thru the security check point. I didn't see any simple instructions of what a transfer passenger is suppose to do. I am glad that you guys gave me a heads up. As far as paying extra money for baggage I prefer not to but what I really don't like are surprises. I like to know and understand the rules. And the rules have changed in the past few years. Delta sure seems to be greed/ stingy about their baggage allowance. Danb