Easy Move To Save On Internet Bill

I looked into it a earlier this year, because I wanted a higher speed connection, and it required a modem upgrade.

TimeWarner is only 3$ a month rental. The modem cost just over 100$.

For me thats a 3 year payback, and in 3 years I am sure I'll want a new faster modem.

So, I rent.

I have owned my own modem for years, I would never rent. Cable companies throttle your data flow through your modem based on which service you are purchasing from them. Buy your own modem and you then have the fastest internet they provide since they cannot control speed anymore.

I have done this with both comcast and Time Warner.

Just set up cable at our new house, and this is the game Time Warner tried.

TW:We need to set up for a technician to come to your home

ME: Why, all the wiring is already in place and I am watching TV right now from the previous owner.

TW: Technician needs to install the modem

ME: No, I have my own modem, which is why I am watching TV right now

TW: OK, we can do remotely, what is your modem password?

ME: Unknown

TW: Unknown, u n k n o w n?

ME: No, unknown meaning I dont know the password (I lied)

TW: Oh ok, let me try to ping your cable box

ME: Go ahead

TW: Appears everything is working

ME: Thanks, goodbye

They want your password to change your modem settings, has nothing to do with set up. The only thing they need for set up is serial numbers of the modem.

35MB down / 15MB up speeds, better then Time Warner actually offers in this area. If on Time Warner modem, basic would be 10MB down / 1.5MB up.

Last note, dont buy your modem from the cable company, just go to Newegg or Tigerdirect and you can buy the same exact modems for half the cost.

Edited by Scott@Hong (see edit history)
  • Like 4

I recently called Comcast with the 'Can I buy my own modem?' question. Answer- as stated above, BUT.

But what?

I bundle my Comcast. This means that my TV, Internet and nationwide free calling Telephone are all included in one 'bundle'. The BUT is that since my phone goes through the modem my 'new' purchased modem must be Comcast voice compatible.

Comcast tech told me, "Go to Best Buy, tell them you want a Modem compatible with Comcast Voice, there is only one, and have the Best Buy Tech set it up for you before you take it home.

No, I have not done it. Yet.

As far as renting being an advantage for technology upgrades? That benefit is not apparent to me since Comcast has not changed my modem in years.