Utterly confused about the first step for DCF

We had 5 letters attesting to our relationship from Chinese family members and friends. We had the writers write their letters in Chinese, then my wife translated them into English and I helped with the translations, putting them into more coherent sentences in English, as translations often come out backwards, etc, (with their basic thoughts were there, just in jumbled sentences at times).. Then the writers just copied the English translations in their own hand, and signed their names in Chinese.

We took the writer's Chinese photo IDs and copied both sides onto their letters, including their phone numbers.

Good luck, good to see you covering all the bases you can.

tsap seui

Edited by tsap seui (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm certain this question has been asked before, but if I am doing DCF do I need to submit a copy of my birth certificate and my passport OR is just my passport sufficient? Do I need all pages of my passport?

US Citizen Birth cert OR compleate copy of passport is used to show US Citizenship, you can use either but not required to show both.

The I-130 instructions state a copy of your US Passport, this tends to include all pages as well as the cover a literal copy. The instructions only indicates "BIO" page for US Permanent Residents (Green-Card Holders). In this case I would send a copy of all pages.

I submitted a literal copy of my passport. The intake guy seemed "overtly impressed" by my preparedness.

Edited by mekluger (see edit history)

I'm happy to announce that we submitted all the documents in Guangzhou, and received the generic email to proceed with the DS-260.

However, we have been unable to login using the case number provided and my husband's DOB, in the format requested (trying several formats incase info was incorrectly inputed by the consulate), for the Invoice Number.

I've contacted the consulate, but I am still wondering if there is something I must do first, such as register at US Travel Docs (already done so), submit a fee first through CITIC Bank, or something else entirely that I am overlooking?

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated as the New Year approaches and we'd like to get it submitted before the New Year, our Chinese ceremony, and a trip to Yunnan.

Thanks in advance.

We had 5 letters attesting to our relationship from Chinese family members and friends. We had the writers write their letters in Chinese, then my wife translated them into English and I helped with the translations, putting them into more coherent sentences in English, as translations often come out backwards, etc, (with their basic thoughts were there, just in jumbled sentences at times).. Then the writers just copied the English translations in their own hand, and signed their names in Chinese.

We took the writer's Chinese photo IDs and copied both sides onto their letters, including their phone numbers.

Good luck, good to see you covering all the bases you can.

tsap seui

I didn't see this advice until after we submitted the documents, but I had two good friends, who happen to be former students (I teach translation and interpreting students) and they did the translations for us as well as certified them. I did have photocopied ID's as well as phone numbers or emails for all affidavits, including non-Chinese family and friends.

I'm happy to announce that we submitted all the documents in Guangzhou, and received the generic email to proceed with the DS-260.

However, we have been unable to login using the case number provided and my husband's DOB, in the format requested (trying several formats incase info was incorrectly inputed by the consulate), for the Invoice Number.

I've contacted the consulate, but I am still wondering if there is something I must do first, such as register at US Travel Docs (already done so), submit a fee first through CITIC Bank, or something else entirely that I am overlooking?

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated as the New Year approaches and we'd like to get it submitted before the New Year, our Chinese ceremony, and a trip to Yunnan.

Thanks in advance.

The visa fee will be paid at the consulate when interviewing, not through CITIC bank. Only people required to pay are CITIC bank are NON-Immigrants like B-2 and K-1

Someone else ran into similar problem with DS-260 page: http://candleforlove.com/forums/topic/46501-help-trying-to-do-ds-260-but-getting-a-weird-message/?p=608758

Thanks in advance.

The visa fee will be paid at the consulate when interviewing, not through CITIC bank. Only people required to pay are CITIC bank are NON-Immigrants like B-2 and K-1

Someone else ran into similar problem with DS-260 page: http://candleforlove.com/forums/topic/46501-help-trying-to-do-ds-260-but-getting-a-weird-message/?p=608758

Didn't run into similar issues with the DS-260 page, but I have contacted the consulate much like the member who did have troubles. I will try again and see if it was just a glitch or wait for the consulate's reply.

• 1 year later...

I'm not one hundred percent sure about replying to posts here so I want to thank all of you for answering my questions in such a timely manner.

@Randy W: Thanks for clarifying about submitting a photo album/scrapbook.

@dnoblett: I've contacted the offices and I do in fact have to go to Guangzhou.

@danb: We are not beneficiaries on any policies, nor do we have any substantial evidence of co-mingling of finances. We live together in housing provided by my work unit, but there's no proof of that. The weather in Xi'an, unfortunately, is abysmal. The AQI is off the charts; it's been in the 500-700 range for several days.

As I continue to work on the petition, I am still confounded by these affidavits. Does anyone have any advice about format or style? Should it be formatted as a letter? I understand I can ask non-US citizens as long as the affidavit is translated into English. I have several colleagues who are willing to do so. What are they attesting to? The accuracy of the dates of our relationship, engagement, marriage OR their support or awareness of our relationship?

Thanks again for all the support!

Marissa in Xi'an

From the I-130 instructions

5. Affidavits sworn to or affirmed by third parties having personal

knowledge of the bona fides of the marital relationship (Each affidavit

must contain the full name and address, date and place of birth of the

person making the affidavit, his or her relationship to the petitioner

or beneficiary, if any, and complete information and details explaining

how the person acquired his or her knowledge of your marriage);

That being said, it doesn't hurt to wing it a little bit. More simply put, an attestation to their knowledge of the bona fides of your relationship. I'm sure there's a template somewhere, but I'm not seeing it at the moment.

Guess, Life sometimes is hard, and especially , something, need certification to get in

according to USCIS they only want photo copies of documents for the initial petition filing, bring the originals to the visa interview for inspection

They wanted the original notarized documents (birth record white book, marriage license white book) when I filed our I-130 back in February. It probably depends on which USCIS employee is doing the petition intake. Be ready to submit them at any time though, they can pretty much ask you for whatever, whenever.