First time flying with a baby

there are several flight options from Shanghai to the states. Never having traveled with a baby before which choice would you go with, after the flight we have another 2 hour ride by car after we arrive in Buffalo, or 3 hour by Toronto.

1. Shanghai to Toronto 1 flight, but no airline miles.

2. Shanghai- Chicago 3.5 hour layover, Chicago-Buffalo. Lots of airline miles, enough for silver status

3. Shanghai to San Fran on a 787, 8 hour layover SAN-ORD red eye, ORD-BUF. Also a lot of airline miles.

The costs are about the same. close enough that my company will not care which route I book.

The only thing I like about the Shanghai to San is the 787, it has a much higher humidity level in the cabin and a higher air pressure for more comfort.

the Shanghai -Chicago -Buffalo could be changed to a shanghai-Chicago stay the night at the airport hilton, then take a mid morning flight to Buffalo.

I know traveling with the baby is going to suck no matter how we go. For some reason Yuan does not want to have the airline approved baby seat that i have in the states shipped over. I keep telling her it would be a lot easier with the baby in the middle seat and her on one side and me on the other.

I think Emily will be to big for the bassinet by the time we fly over, she is 4.5 months old and is wearing 9 month old size clothes, she is going to be very tall. So that will mean one of us holding her the whole time.

I've travelled with baby before. I think your best option would be the direct flight to YYZ and the drive. It's not easy in baby with the ascending and descending portions if flight. Get a forward facing car seat and you can let her sleep in it inflight if you buy her a ticketed seat.

I've travelled with baby before. I think your best option would be the direct flight to YYZ and the drive. It's not easy in baby with the ascending and descending portions if flight. Get a forward facing car seat and you can let her sleep in it inflight if you buy her a ticketed seat.

Sounds like good advise to go the single flight Shanghai to Toronto, and then drive.

Probably have family meet you at Pearson and run you back home. Any green-card holders traveling will not need to get any visa to transit Canada.

Direct flight all the way with a baby. And make sure she's nursing/bottle-feeding/sucking on a pacifier during take-off and landing because that helps pop their little ears. Bring plenty of wipes and/or hand sanitizer, too. Not to sound paranoid but planes are germ-y, so it's a good idea to wipe down whatever she touch (trays, armrests).

Another option is to ask a family member to get an enhanced DL fee is $30 to do this. And can have it in a week or so.

I think there mar be bus service out of there too.

Something I didn't see mentioned is the option to have baby crib hung from divider in front row seats.

I flew to China once, and happened to sit near the front row of the cheap seats.

2 families with babies sat in the very first row, and the airlines had these small baby cribs that attached to the wal in front of the seats.

The babies still cried during takeoff and landing, but the 14 hour flight they were comfortable, and mom and dad didn't have to hold them the whole way.

Credzba,

Air Canada, has the bassinets which is the direct flight from Shanghai to Toronto. They actually have larger ones than most airlines. And it will get us a bulkhead seat. If we get lucky we will get a 2 seat row which most of Air Canada's 777's have.

Dnobbt, I threw out all of Yuan's open spices and packages from the Chinese food store before I left for China. If we fly to YYZ our flight arrives to late to stop and pick up supplies at the grocery store in Buffalo. I am pretty sure she will go ape sh*t when she finds out I threw out her open treasures from the food store.

So I can take the chance of Emily crying from 2 flight's, or hear Yuan freak out for at least 2 or 3 day's about her food treasures. Either way I am screwed :sweating_buckets:

Yes, not only are you screwed Ama, you are screwed, blewed, and tattooed!!! You threw away spices and Chinese food store packages?????? Unbelievable, man!! The baby on a plane trip is the least of yore worries partner. The baby is gonna be fine, but you??? You are FUBAR'ed!!!!! And I mean way beyond all repair. Your life is gonna be at the stinkin' moldy dirty water business end of a mop, a mop which continually waps you upside the head. Never EVER mess with a Chinese woman's food supplies.

And here I thought you were a man of intelligence and means. Well Bubba, you may as well take that intelligence and let it walk you up the stairs to the top of the nearest highrise in the nearest concrete Chinese canyon and see if yore intelligence and means can help you to fly when you jump. As Ron White, the comedian, would say, "yep, you ARE one, you get to hold the sign." If our old buddy that claimed to be moving to Chinartucky every day for 7 years was here I'd ask him to please hand you the sign. :rotfl:

Fear not young man, I'll write you up a very nice obituary when we learn of yore untimely and violent demise. :victory:

Good luck with the journey.

tsap seui

Sad to see this happen to a young man with such promise.

How late arrival, I think the airport is not far from Markham ON, many groceries around Markham and RichmondHill ON

Only issue sometimes is the POE, sometimes try have issues with fruits and veggies, but have not heard if issues with spices.

Dnoblett, arrival is around 6:30PM.

Tsap, I only threw out the open packages that she had held shut with a clothes pin. All of the sealed containers and packages are fine. Well, I did clean out the refrigerator, there were a few UFO's "Unidentified Food Objects" that I also discarded. :boxer: It will be a good fight but I am sure to lose. My saving grace is the fact that she is going to bring home 2 suitcases of treasures. I think I will mention to her that she should buy a spices here because it will be cheaper than in the US. the one sure way to be in Yuan's favor is to find a way to save a little money.

She is now buying about 10 years worth of holiday cards, birthday cards, thank-you, and who knows what else. At least she has me look at the words before she buys them. Last night she showed me 20 different cards, 4 made sense to me. 3.5RMB per card. I told her we should buy a suitcase full and take them to the Avon Flea market and sell them for 3 for 5 bucks.

Tsap, I only threw out the open packages that she had held shut with a clothes pin. All of the sealed containers and packages are fine. Well, I did clean out the refrigerator, there were a few UFO's "Unidentified Food Objects" that I also discarded. :boxer: It will be a good fight but I am sure to lose. My saving grace is the fact that she is going to bring home 2 suitcases of treasures. I think I will mention to her that she should buy a spices here because it will be cheaper than in the US. the one sure way to be in Yuan's favor is to find a way to save a little money.

She is now buying about 10 years worth of holiday cards, birthday cards, thank-you, and who knows what else. At least she has me look at the words before she buys them. Last night she showed me 20 different cards, 4 made sense to me. 3.5RMB per card. I told her we should buy a suitcase full and take them to the Avon Flea market and sell them for 3 for 5 bucks.

Now, THAT, is puttin' on the ol' award wiinning Homer Simpson thinkin' cap. I'm proud fer ya. You've got the money saving scheme in there and the fact of more spices. But, but but....I do hope you at least saved them clothes pins she closed those bags of spices with. That could be taken as a capital offense if'n you lost them clothes pins.

Jes ewe remember, we here at Candle is here to help when we see a wayward traveler startin' to head hisself down the road path that only ends with a sad conclusion. These here Chinese wimmin is the very gift from God....but they is some ground rules. Rules that a feller like myself could only wish were tattooed on the left cheek of my lil' rabbit's tiny hiney. But alas, it could never be that easy....and for me, the rules would probably be written in them lil' Christmas trees and tiny houses the Chinese calls writin'.

I have done some dumb stuff, but one of them is NEVER touchin' anything left in the ice box, no matter the smell, the mold trying desperately to climb away to freedom, or the slimey look or texture of what is lurking in a baggie, newspaper, or even terlet paper. Oh, I've got my share of slaps with the trusty and ever handy mop, but not for that indiscretion. The unspoken rule here is...only she who must be obeyed (you can call it SWMBO) is the onliest one who is allowed to throw away something in the ice box (for yankees that would be called by the name refrigerator). A world of hurt, known as Chinese torture, can result when one breaks that rule.

I like yore snappy comeback up in bold. You may well get to wake up to enjoy yet another day, and become a survivor. :victory:

tsap seui