Chinese immigrant needs health insurance

NUWORLD

NO - 10 years of credits are accumulated in 10 years. You may NOT accumulate more than four quarters in one year.

Technically, yes an immigrant can accumulate more than 4 quarters in a year, but only while they are still married to the sponsor, in which case the sponsor's work quarters are also counted, so it is possible to accumulate the 40 quarters in as little as 5 years, as long as the couple remains married for the entire 40 quarter count.

The spouse's work quarters are included in ANY marriage (not just for immigrants) - but again, the limitation is that you are only allowed to accumulate four quarters in one year. Ten years are required in ALL cases to accumulate 40 credits.

I have seen this one before, so I will refrence the SSA website:

https://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0500502135

2. Qualifying Quarters

a. Number Required

An LAPR alien must have or be credited with 40 QQs to meet the eligibility requirements for this category.

b. Number Creditable

After 1977, covered and noncovered earnings are divided by the dollar amount needed to earn a QC, (see RS 00301.250, Increment Amounts — Exhibit) to determine the number of QQs earned for a year, up to a maximum of 4 QQs per year per worker.

d. QQs From a Spouse

3. QQs Belonging to an Eligible Couple

QQs belonging to members of an eligible couple may be credited to both members of the eligible couple.

EXAMPLE: An LAPR alien and his/her LAPR alien eligible spouse each earned 20 QQs during their marriage. Since the combined QQs total 40, each can qualify based on this provision.

I see a reference to a five year period before becoming eligible, so maybe that's correct. The only way to reach that threshold is by combining quarters from multiple workers.

An LAPR alien who enters the U.S. on 8/22/96 or later cannot be eligible based on having 40 QQs for a 5-year period beginning on the LAPR alien's date of entry into the U.S. as a qualified alien

There's also this

REMINDER: An LAPR who does not have the 40 QQs needed for eligibility under this provision may be eligible:

if admitted as a refugee, granted asylum, had deportation/removal withheld, granted Cuban/Haitian entrant status, or admitted as an Amerasian immigrant less than 7 year ago,

Mei has this friend (American Friend) that told her the if her GC is over 5 years she can get free health insurance.

IMO: I have never heard of this other that our friends jumping over the fence down south.

Anyone ever hear of free insurance for our Chinese GC holders?

Mike

Maybe they're referring to Medicaid? :dunno:

I was thinking along the same lines. If I understand the rules correctly, since both spouses (or in this cases ex-spouses) are working, you can accumulate the 40 SS credits (2 people x 4/year x 5 years) in 5 years expiring the I-864 which would make her eligible for need-based aid including health care. Now since they got divorced, I am not clear how many of his credits count. Based upon the timeline above, she has likely earned at least 20 so the I-864 may or may not be in effect.

The I-864 does not affect the immigrant. The immigrant did not sign it.

What a better time to bring this subject up but now!

As our great country is in shut down mode and servers are crashing by the minute.

Thought this is NOT the subject of this thread.

This should be a very simple question and then maybe not.

My wife (Zhenghong) has a life long friend here in the states (Maryland) and has some medical issues.

Her friend (Mei) has been here in the U.S. for 7 years now and has her 10 year GC.

She (Mei) came to America the same way all our wife/girls did.

She was married to a U.S. citizen man and had her 2 year GC.

Well like some, It didn't work out and of course, The marriage ended before the 10 year GC.

Mei was able to over come the hoops and get her 10 year GC.

Mei has been working from the day of marriage divorce.

But four months ago she was layed off and has no income.

She owns her house free and clear and only pays utility's.

Now that were all up to speed about Mei's history here is the question at hand.

(This is only hear say and from a second hand source)

Mei has this friend (American Friend) that told her the if her GC is over 5 years she can get free health insurance.

IMO: I have never heard of this other that our friends jumping over the fence down south.

Mike

If she can afford to pay for insurance, she can continue the insurance she had under her job, under COBRA. But if she doesn't have income now, it will eat up her money. She should also get unemployment benefits (which are probably not enough to live by though).

Yes, I am sure they are talking about Medicaid. New permanent residents are banned from normal types of Medicaid during the first 5 years.

Mike

I was thinking along the same lines. If I understand the rules correctly, since both spouses (or in this cases ex-spouses) are working, you can accumulate the 40 SS credits (2 people x 4/year x 5 years) in 5 years expiring the I-864 which would make her eligible for need-based aid including health care. Now since they got divorced, I am not clear how many of his credits count. Based upon the timeline above, she has likely earned at least 20 so the I-864 may or may not be in effect.

The I-864 has nothing to do with this topic.

Were talking about health care.

Please go back to the beginning (Post number one) and start from there.

What a better time to bring this subject up but now!

As our great country is in shut down mode and servers are crashing by the minute.

Thought this is NOT the subject of this thread.

This should be a very simple question and then maybe not.

My wife (Zhenghong) has a life long friend here in the states (Maryland) and has some medical issues.

Her friend (Mei) has been here in the U.S. for 7 years now and has her 10 year GC.

She (Mei) came to America the same way all our wife/girls did.

She was married to a U.S. citizen man and had her 2 year GC.

Well like some, It didn't work out and of course, The marriage ended before the 10 year GC.

Mei was able to over come the hoops and get her 10 year GC.

Mei has been working from the day of marriage divorce.

But four months ago she was layed off and has no income.

She owns her house free and clear and only pays utility's.

Now that were all up to speed about Mei's history here is the question at hand.

(This is only hear say and from a second hand source)

Mike

If she can afford to pay for insurance, she can continue the insurance she had under her job, under COBRA. But if she doesn't have income now, it will eat up her money. She should also get unemployment benefits (which are probably not enough to live by though).

Yes, I am sure they are talking about Medicaid. New permanent residents are banned from normal types of Medicaid during the first 5 years.

It seams as though some have not read the entire thread from start as to date.

Mike

The immigrant is the beneficiary of the I-864, and is not required to sign it. The 5 year restriction applies regardless of SS credits.

This all reminds me.

My wife has a cousin, who has a cousin...well let me try to explain this.

Cousin moves to Sweden and her and her husband have not worked in years. They get so much welfare, and live on half of it or less, that they have saved and bought several houses in China that they rent out with the other half. (Seems they can afford to send child to USA for college now)

Cousin's cousin is encouraged to come over, so the first cousin and her hubby divorce, as well as 2nd cousin and husband. The 1st cousin marries 2nd cousin's husband, and they pay a man in Sweden to just marry 2nd cousin, all to bring both over to Sweden. Now they are all in Sweden, not working and getting fairly well off by this method.

I think I got that right.

Anyway, wife won't go visit family any year they come to China. She is disgusted at their ways.

Doug that was crystal clear to me. :whistling: Anywho Carl was telling us once a long time ago when this same kind of topic came up that once his sister was on Medicaid for a short time and she and her husband got almost nothing. There you have it. The ones that are veterans at this thing are the ones that make out. The longer that they are on this program the more that they learn and the more they are able to manipulate the system. This system was suppose to be like it was for Carl's sister for a short period of time and that is the reason that she got so little. The veterans at this game are the ones that do well at it that is the reason it is so hard to get some of them off of it.

My mother use to work with a lady that was on Medicaid and they found out that she was working and not reporting it to them and they threatened to cancel her Medicaid if she didn't quit so she did just that she quit. Now in my opinion when Medicaid caught her and saw that she could hold a steady fairly good paying job they should have kicked her to the curb but in stead they gave her a choice and she made the right choice for herself. Why work if they will take care of you, pay for your utilities, eye glasses, dental care and all medical bills paid all at a 100% rate. As long as you have enough to eat.

Now everywhere we go to get eye treatment, eye glasses, dental work, which is what I'm doing now, we get the same thing after I tell them that I have federal BC/BS, VA disabled and have Medicare too I still have to pay. Then they tell me if I was on medicaid it would pay 100%. The wife get very upset about this every time.

Now I feel a little better. Just a little better.

Larry