Chinese immigrant needs health insurance

NUWORLD

What a better time to bring this subject up but now!

As our great country is in shut down mode and servers are crashing by the minute.

Thought this is NOT the subject of this thread.

This should be a very simple question and then maybe not.

My wife (Zhenghong) has a life long friend here in the states (Maryland) and has some medical issues.

Her friend (Mei) has been here in the U.S. for 7 years now and has her 10 year GC.

She (Mei) came to America the same way all our wife/girls did.

She was married to a U.S. citizen man and had her 2 year GC.

Well like some, It didn't work out and of course, The marriage ended before the 10 year GC.

Mei was able to over come the hoops and get her 10 year GC.

Mei has been working from the day of marriage divorce.

But four months ago she was layed off and has no income.

She owns her house free and clear and only pays utility's.

Now that were all up to speed about Mei's history here is the question at hand.

(This is only hear say and from a second hand source)

Mei has this friend (American Friend) that told her the if her GC is over 5 years she can get free health insurance.

IMO: I have never heard of this other that our friends jumping over the fence down south.

Anyone ever hear of free insurance for our Chinese GC holders?

Mike

If over 5 years can apply for citizenship, become a citizen and qualify for anything any other US Citizen qualifies for.

No such thing as Free health care, some one ultimately pays for it through taxes and even the Affordable Care Act means those applying for it have to pay for it.

She will likely qualify for a lower cost plan but will still have to pay for it.

The ACA and the current government shut down are hot political issues. Liberals and conservatives see them very differently. We are not going to debate it here. Please keep the topic on what the woman needs to do to get health insurance.

I have no clue how this lady has done it but Wenyan has met a Chinese woman who works in this other Chinese woman's massage business in a local mall. This woman got to America somehow, applied for asylum, and got it. She was given a green card and free health insurance. Has used her free insurance for over a $100,000.00 of personal health care.

I have no clue how it works...must be an asylum thing?????

I am finding with questions like this Mike, it's best to have your wife ask other Chinese.

The Chinese community knows MUCH MUCH MUCH more about our system, how it works, how to get around it, and what to do than any of us Americans will ever figure out. See, we Americans look up the laws and rules, go by what our study says is correct and we read what Dan and Randy have to say about our questions.

The Chinese are BORN with this knowledge imprinted in their brains, and they know that there is a rule book, and then there is ANOTHER rule book. A rule book that us Americans have big trouble locating and figuring out.

If it were me MIke, and I am not being sarcastic here or dissin' Dan and Randy, just being honest from the experience I have gained from living with a Chinese woman....a fresh off the plane or boat Chinese woman, as compared to one who was born here....to get the nitty gritty on a question like this, you'd be better off to have your wife become friends with the workers and bosses of massage parlors at your local malls.

Those Chinese women know how to get benefits, and how to get things done within our system. You'd think WE knew how to get things done and what ALL of the benefits to be had were. No sir, I'm here to tell you...we don't know the half of it MIke.

And, the Chinese information system isn't hampered by shutdowns, meltdowns, breakdowns, or anything else. If you want the REAL lowdown, I'd have my wife get on QQ or go looking in malls for the Chinese massage shops....they HAVE the answers. I grew up and lived in Maryland, there are many malls and Chinese communities, this Maryland lady would help herself greatly to go visit and become friends with some massage workers....I swear to God Mike, they understand the ways to free medical care.

Maybe it is an asylum thing, I don't know. I am hampered by being an American and am not Chinese. LOL

tsap seui

Mei has this friend (American Friend) that told her the if her GC is over 5 years she can get free health insurance.

IMO: I have never heard of this other that our friends jumping over the fence down south.

Mike

Maybe they're referring to Medicaid? :dunno:

Edited by ameriken (see edit history)

Mike

I was thinking along the same lines. If I understand the rules correctly, since both spouses (or in this cases ex-spouses) are working, you can accumulate the 40 SS credits (2 people x 4/year x 5 years) in 5 years expiring the I-864 which would make her eligible for need-based aid including health care. Now since they got divorced, I am not clear how many of his credits count. Based upon the timeline above, she has likely earned at least 20 so the I-864 may or may not be in effect.

She has two ways to get MedicAid.

1. If Maryland is expanding MedicAid as part of ACA then she can get it through the States Health Exchange. In this case a GC is sufficient and no need to be a Citizen.

2. If that is not the case then depending upon the laws of Maryland she can get MedicAid trough DSS and Citizenship might be required.

I have no clue how this lady has done it but Wenyan has met a Chinese woman who works in this other Chinese woman's massage business in a local mall. This woman got to America somehow, applied for asylum, and got it. She was given a green card and free health insurance. Has used her free insurance for over a $100,000.00 of personal health care.

I am finding with questions like this Mike, it's best to have your wife ask other Chinese.

The Chinese community knows MUCH MUCH MUCH more about our system, how it works, how to get around it, and what to do than any of us Americans will ever figure out. See, we Americans look up the laws and rules, go by what our study says is correct and we read what Dan and Randy have to say about our questions.

The Chinese are BORN with this knowledge imprinted in their brains, and they know that there is a rule book, and then there is ANOTHER rule book. A rule book that us Americans have big trouble locating and figuring out.

If it were me MIke, and I am not being sarcastic here or dissin' Dan and Randy, just being honest from the experience I have gained from living with a Chinese woman....a fresh off the plane or boat Chinese woman, as compared to one who was born here....to get the nitty gritty on a question like this, you'd be better off to have your wife become friends with the workers and bosses of massage parlors at your local malls.

Those Chinese women know how to get benefits, and how to get things done within our system. You'd think WE knew how to get things done and what ALL of the benefits to be had were. No sir, I'm here to tell you...we don't know the half of it MIke.

And, the Chinese information system isn't hampered by shutdowns, meltdowns, breakdowns, or anything else. If you want the REAL lowdown, I'd have my wife get on QQ or go looking in malls for the Chinese massage shops....they HAVE the answers. I grew up and lived in Maryland, there are many malls and Chinese communities, this Maryland lady would help herself greatly to go visit and become friends with some massage workers....I swear to God Mike, they understand the ways to free medical care.

Maybe it is an asylum thing, I don't know. I am hampered by being an American and am not Chinese. LOL

tsap seui

I have to agree with Ronny on this one 100% after being married to a Chinese woman for almost 14 years now if there is one thing that I have learned is that they have a way of doing things that I would not do or never think of doing. They get it done. We Americans, especially the ones like Randy and Dan that provide a great service to this board think in terms of the letter of the law as it applies and that is exactly the way that they should be doing things but as Ronny has said these Chinese fold, and I am sure the Mexicans, know how to get what they want out of our system things that we don't know how to do or as working stiffs don't even think of.

My wife looks at some of my family that have been sponging off of the welfare system in this country for almost 50 years and she says to me you dummy worked your ass off all your life and they are getting BETTER medical benefits than you are. Medicaid recipients receive free dental, medical, eye glasses and eye treatment They are entitled to things that I can't get with my BC/BS Federal insurance and my VA disability. I'm only 80 percent disabled.

Definitely go to the Chinese community and find out how to get things done in this respect.

Larry

No disrespect to either Randy or Dan intended what so ever.

She has two ways to get MedicAid.

1. If Maryland is expanding MedicAid as part of ACA then she can get it through the States Health Exchange. In this case a GC is sufficient and no need to be a Citizen.

2. If that is not the case then depending upon the laws of Maryland she can get MedicAid trough DSS and Citizenship might be required.

There is some good advice here. I think that the Illegal Mexican population here have even worked around that too. Here in NC they can get treatment at the emergency rooms for free and have their children go to our schools, with no questions ask. That is about the extent of knowledge that I have about these things.

Larry

Edited by amberjack1234 (see edit history)

tsap seui

I have to agree with Ronny on this one 100% after being married to a Chinese woman for almost 14 years now if there is one thing that I have learned is that they have a way of doing things that I would not do or never think of doing. They get it done. We Americans, especially the ones like Randy and Dan that provide a great service to this board think in terms of the letter of the law as it applies and that is exactly the way that they should be doing things but as Ronny has said these Chinese fold, and I am sure the Mexicans, know how to get what they want out of our system things that we don't know how to do or as working stiffs don't even think of.

My wife looks at some of my family that have been sponging off of the welfare system in this country for almost 50 years and she says to me you dummy worked your ass off all your life and they are getting BETTER medical benefits than you are. Medicaid recipients receive free dental, medical, eye glasses and eye treatment They are entitled to things that I can't get with my BC/BS Federal insurance and my VA disability. I'm only 80 percent disabled.

Definitely go to the Chinese community and find out how to get things done in this respect.

Larry

No disrespect to either Randy or Dan intended what so ever.

I'll have to agree with both Ronny and Larry.

It just amazes me how some people get something for nothing.

All the while we working class folks bust our asses 50-60 hours a week

and still have to pay something to the doc.

like Larry said in his last post, The Spanish folks got it all figured out too.

There must be 20-30 working here at the place i work and they never get our company provided

health care.

They always turn it down during open enrollment.

But some how they get better health care from somewhere?

Will have to tell Mei to start talking to her Chinese friends and Chinese community.

Mike

I was thinking along the same lines. If I understand the rules correctly, since both spouses (or in this cases ex-spouses) are working, you can accumulate the 40 SS credits (2 people x 4/year x 5 years) in 5 years expiring the I-864 which would make her eligible for need-based aid including health care. Now since they got divorced, I am not clear how many of his credits count. Based upon the timeline above, she has likely earned at least 20 so the I-864 may or may not be in effect.

NO - 10 years of credits are accumulated in 10 years. You may NOT accumulate more than four quarters in one year.

NO - 10 years of credits are accumulated in 10 years. You may NOT accumulate more than four quarters in one year.

Technically, yes an immigrant can accumulate more than 4 quarters in a year, but only while they are still married to the sponsor, in which case the sponsor's work quarters are also counted, so it is possible to accumulate the 40 quarters in as little as 5 years, as long as the couple remains married for the entire 40 quarter count.

Technically, yes an immigrant can accumulate more than 4 quarters in a year, but only while they are still married to the sponsor, in which case the sponsor's work quarters are also counted, so it is possible to accumulate the 40 quarters in as little as 5 years, as long as the couple remains married for the entire 40 quarter count.

The spouse's work quarters are included in ANY marriage (not just for immigrants) - but again, the limitation is that you are only allowed to accumulate four quarters in one year. Ten years are required in ALL cases to accumulate 40 credits.