Hoops for Visas for Foreigners in China

Randy W

This article talks about foreigners already in China, although I expect some of it may apply to those applying for visas externally as well

Jumping through visa hoops

China's new Exit and Entry Administration Law came into effect in July and its detailed regulations officially kicked in on September 1.

Many changes have been made to better serve foreign exchanges as well as to solve growing immigration problems such as strengthening management on foreigners who are illegally entering, working and staying in the country.

However, many foreigners are finding they have to face a dose of trouble caused by stricter requirements and longer processing times.

Jiaying just got back from the PSB - my current visa expires on Oct.7 For them (here in Yulin), it seems like business as normal - they gave her the same form we've been using all along, and told her to allow 10 days processing, as they have every other time. They did tell her it MAY be possible to get a two year visa - this would carry me past my 5 year anniversary, when I'm eligible to apply for a green card. They also told her that any processing time is on them - as long as the application is submitted BEFORE the expiration date, that I'll still be here legally. Of course, no one else (foreigners) here is applying for all the 5 year stuff, so they're not entirely sure of what happens, except that the green card would have to go through Beijing (and take longer).

Jiaying just got back from the PSB - my current visa expires on Oct.7 For them (here in Yulin), it seems like business as normal - they gave her the same form we've been using all along, and told her to allow 10 days processing, as they have every other time. They did tell her it MAY be possible to get a two year visa - this would carry me past my 5 year anniversary, when I'm eligible to apply for a green card. They also told her that any processing time is on them - as long as the application is submitted BEFORE the expiration date, that I'll still be here legally. Of course, no one else (foreigners) here is applying for all the 5 year stuff, so they're not entirely sure of what happens, except that the green card would have to go through Beijing (and take longer).

Actually, now that I've looked at it, it DOES contain the new categories that went into effect on Sept. 1 - Family reunion, Journalist, etc.