Same sex spousal visas & gender-neutral passports

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

On Sunday 9/29 we received what I believe is Packet 3(?!) by EMS (China Overnight Courier). It was the request to submit DS-260 online (Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration Application Confirmation), copy of bio page in passport and passport photos. Form filled out today and the hard copy confirmation with photos and passport copy sent through Citic bank today.

• Like 1

Have used the CFL site for some excellent research over the last few weeks and want to say thank you for this thread. I am a USC who has lived in China for over 10 years and been with my Chinese partner for more than 7 years. After the recent Supreme Court decision we flew to the States to get married (in New York State) and start the immigration process for my husband. I submitted the I-130 through Guangzhou Consular Process on August 27th look forward to sharing our journey.

I do believe I was the first, at least with the staffer who reviewed my petition, to submit a same sex marriage I-130 in Guangzhou as everything was fine until the staffter looked at the biometric page of my husband's passport and realized he was a he...After quickly excusing himself to go check something, assume he spoke to someone who said it was okay, he returned a few minutes later and finished checking all the documents as if nothing had happend.

Hi Andelu and congratulations on your P3!!

Say, would you mind sharing a bit of what it was like living as a same-sex couple in China? There must have been many challenges. You do know that many of our wives believe that these lifestyles are only American (western) and that we will never find gays in China? I can only imagine the difficulty you both faced and especially for your partner.

Again, all the best to you both.

• Like 1

Say, would you mind sharing a bit of what it was like living as a same-sex couple in China? There must have been many challenges. You do know that many of our wives believe that these lifestyles are only American (western) and that we will never find gays in China? I can only imagine the difficulty you both faced and especially for your partner.

Again, all the best to you both.

Thanks for the congratulations Dennis. We are excited about this journey and the next chapters in our lives together in the States. We are still living in China and are filing through DCF.

I moved to Shenzhen in early 2003 and can certainly relate to your comment that many Chinese do not believe gays exist in China. Unlike in America, the issue with homosexuality in China is not religious based. The reality is that due to the culture gays have largely lived "underground" or "second lives" though that has gradually changed over the last few years and there is continuing to be more awareness and acceptance in society. Most of us expats in Shenzhen often say that Shenzhen (and certainly the suburb Shekou) is not the real China. This city was built by immigrants from all over China and there is an energy and openness that doesn't exist anywhere else that I have seen in my travels over the last decade throughout the country. We have been very fortuante that our group of both western and Chinese friends have accepted and welcomed us into their circles.

We've been together for over 7 years and were just married in July in New York. We only told a couple close friends of our plan to marry during a week trip to the States and when we returned they had organized a celebration party for us - that was so special it brought tears to our eyes. The majority of those in attendance are western man/Chinese wife couples. It is interesting to note that many of those Chinese wives (ranging from mid-20's to late 50's) felt the same way you mentioned - that gays didn't exist and they never knew one before us. It is amazing how those same women over the last few years have become our closest friends, biggest supporters and the first ones to defend or explain us to others who "don't understand".

My husband's family has also been very supportive and welcomed years ago me as a new son to their family in a very public and embarassing holiday dinner. Now that is not the norm I can assure you but one that we feel so blessed to have. My in-laws have spent the last two Spring Festivals (Chinese New Year) with us in Shenzhen and this year stayed 3 months. I couldn't feel more loved than by my own parents. Initially, they were not thrilled they would not have grandchildren I think more than anything (or assumed they wouldn't but that is a whole different topic/discussion.). My husband's sister has also been very supportive.

As for our workplaces, my husband works for an American HR consulting company so his being out is not a threat to his career. In my business, I never lie but am somewhat guarded with my personal life. Again, we are fortunate in our circumstances but everyone has different situations and needs to determine what is best for them. Being gay in China has not been as challenging as so many other aspects of living and working in China and is just one aspect of us and our lives.

We are excited about starting a new chapter in America but will be sad to leave what has been our home together for 7 years. Shenzhen is longest place I have ever lived in my life at 11 years + in the same city by the time we hope to move sometime next year and it will be difficult to say "See you soon" (as I hate goodbye's)...

Maybe not the right forum/place in the forum for sharing some of our story but hope that answers your questions.

• Like 3

Thanks for that post, Andelu. I had to laugh where you said that the challenges of living in China were much greater than living as a gay couple. :lol:

Wish I could read more of your life experiences in China in whatever forum you end up telling. And, I hope that you two end up in an American community that readily accepts you both.

And, children are not so much out of the equation. ;)

Thanks again.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Received "Immigrant Visa Instructions" email today for Pei Lin to schedule his visa interview. First appointment was 10/31, he scheduled 7:45am on 11/4 as traveling next week for work. Excited, anxious and hope visa interview goes as smooth.

Received "Immigrant Visa Instructions" email today for Pei Lin to schedule his visa interview. First appointment was 10/31, he scheduled 7:45am on 11/4 as traveling next week for work. Excited, anxious and hope visa interview goes as smooth.

Best wishes for a successful interview and smooth sailin' all the way. Good luck and keep us posted. :victory:

• 3 weeks later...

Happy to report that the interview was essentially a success as received a White Form. On the front side:....the Consulate requires additional action from you to continue processing your immigrant application...On the back side: Your Immigrant visa applicaiton has been approved.

Needed a differnt type of Birth Certificate - which we were guessing might happen. Have to submit Nortarized Birth Certificate. Was obtained yesterday by PL's father in his hometown and we should receive by EMS today or tomorrow.

Other - Offer of employment for petitioner. Me. Crazy as I thought my I-864 Affadivt of Support was sound. Though I had negative AGI for 2 of last 3 years (due to Foreign Earned Income Credit) I had my IRS Tax Transcripts, bank statements, copy of house deed, etc that showed clear proof of funds. Nonetheless, have had my company provide an offer of employment for me in the States and will be submitting along with the Notarized Birth Certificate on Monday via CITIC Bank.

Anticiapte having visa by month end.

US House hunting trip booked for January!

Thought not quite finished, really feel a burdened lifted as almost there. Thanks so much for your support. Once finished will recap our timeline and antedotes in a seperate poste.

Andy

• Like 2

Happy to report that the interview was essentially a success as received a White Form. On the front side:....the Consulate requires additional action from you to continue processing your immigrant application...On the back side: Your Immigrant visa applicaiton has been approved.

Needed a differnt type of Birth Certificate - which we were guessing might happen. Have to submit Nortarized Birth Certificate. Was obtained yesterday by PL's father in his hometown and we should receive by EMS today or tomorrow.

Other - Offer of employment for petitioner. Me. Crazy as I thought my I-864 Affadivt of Support was sound. Though I had negative AGI for 2 of last 3 years (due to Foreign Earned Income Credit) I had my IRS Tax Transcripts, bank statements, copy of house deed, etc that showed clear proof of funds. Nonetheless, have had my company provide an offer of employment for me in the States and will be submitting along with the Notarized Birth Certificate on Monday via CITIC Bank.

Anticiapte having visa by month end.

US House hunting trip booked for January!

Thought not quite finished, really feel a burdened lifted as almost there. Thanks so much for your support. Once finished will recap our timeline and antedotes in a seperate poste.

Andy

I'm going to temporarily hijack your thread for one of my favorite rants - "enough" is not always ENOUGH. Just because you satisfy the conditions of the I-864 doesn't mean you WILL get the visa. It means you are ELIGIBLE for the visa. It's up to the interviewing VO as to whether what you submit is ACTUALLY enough for the visa. They are REQUIRED BY LAW to consider the totality of circumstances in determining whether your spouse might become a public charge.

- end rant -

Great news! Congratulations!

gallery_1846_733_3147.gif

Congratulations !!

gallery_1846_733_128695.gif

Absolutely fantastic news. So glad to hear your application was approved and that the visa is forthcoming. Hope your house hunting expedition is a smashing success and that the two of you have a wonderful future together. Congrats and best wishes. :victory:

:greenblob: :redblob: :greenblob: :redblob: :greenblob: :redblob:

• Randy W changed the title to Same sex spousal visas & gender-neutral passports