5/29 Interview - Success!

Started the process on 2/24 in Beijing. (See previous posts by yours truly).

The missus had her interview on 5/29 in GZ and everything went smooth as could be. We showed up bright and early for the 7:15 appointment, arriving around 6ish. My only complaints about the entire process would be that the "lines" (there were supposed to be 3 for immigration visas) were pretty poorly organized, managed, and policed. It was pretty much chaos until you had your passport/appointment letter reviewed and went upstairs.

Once upstairs, the wife was in and out in about 2 hours. She said it would have gone faster, but while waiting for fingerprints it took a really long time. Eventually they learned that, apparently, there was an old "peasant" woman who the staff were simply unable to fingerprint. She'd literally worked so hard all her life that her fingerprints were worn off. After trying a couple of machines, it sounds like the staff figured out the issue and moved her aside and did something else (unclear what) while processing the rest of the folks who did have fingerprints. I killed time in the expensive coffee shop outside of where you exit. Tip for folks doing that - drink as many cups as you can, since it'll average out to reasonable on a per cup basis, since refills are cheap. ;)

As an aside, we stayed with the Yangs. He was super nice (only met him) and the apartment we stayed in was fine. Nothing fancy, but honestly, if you've traveled around China beyond 1st tier cities, and especially if you've stayed with the inlaws, you've almost certainly stayed in more humble trappings. The place was relatively clean, the airconditioning worked (YES!) and its damn close to the embassy.

Also, with the new system, we were in GZ less than 24 hours. Flew in late on the 28th, and flew out the evening of the 29th, same day as her interview.

Passport with visa arrived in Wuhan (her hometown) at CITIC bank about 10 days later.

She's schedule to fly stateside on the 29th to finally meet me (I flew back to the US after GZ).

One lesson learned - when I flew back stateside, I brought a ton of her stuff with me. Thinking she'd used most of the immigration materials she'd need, I mistakenly brought the Xrays from her medical with me. Dumb mistake, as when the passport arrived in WH, it specifically noted you have to have those in hand when going thru immigration in the US. So I've had to fedex them back, to the tune of $180!!!! Expensive lesson learned.

So we're really just about there - she'll be here in a week!

Couple of final questions for you "old hands."

How long after she arrives does it typically take to get the green card? (Assuming it comes by mail?) She's anxious to start looking for work already!

And anyone know how long it usually takes to get a SSN Card from the time of application? Likewise, she's hot to get a driver's license and car, but we're told you need an SSN to apply for a license?

And lastly, I think that once upon a time, when you immigrated, they asked you if you wanted to make any changes to your name (i.e. adopt a more western sounding name)? Is that an old wive's tale, or true? And if true, anyone know when they do it and how it works?

Thanks so much for all the advice - this forum - and its members, have been a lifesaver. The missus and I have discussed that as soon as she gets her first paycheck, we're definitely making a donation. This board's an amazing resource for so many, and definitely saved us time, trouble, money and heartache. And, undoubtedly, we'll be back. Still have to go from conditional to permanent resident status in a couple of years... and know she'll eventually want to try to have her Mom come join us.

Thanks again,

Charlie

That is great news Charlie. Always good to see some have success.

My wife and son got their 10 year green cards, as well as the SS cards in 2 weeks. Don't wait on anything from the SS office, do go in person to the SS office about 10 days or so after your wife goes through her POE upon coming into America. They need 10 days I think, to get her information entered into the computer. We went sooner than the 10 days and that is what we were told by the SS people. Luckily the SS worker we talked to kept trying each day to see when USCIS or whoever had the info in the computer. When the worker saw it on her computer she ordered the SS cards for my wife and son.

I don't know anything about changing names.

Good luck with the future here in America. Candle is the best for learning what you need to know to get through this complicated process. Lots of good folks here. I felt the same as you, and continue to donate to Candle. It's the best way I know of saying thank you, and paying ahead, so that others can get help like you and I did.

tsap seui

The x-rays are rarely, if ever, asked for. They usually just come in handy later on with a private physician if medical issues come up.

The green card should arrive in a week or two. However, she should have an I-551 stamp in her passport which indicates her LPR status. She is free to work as soon as a company hires her.

If she changes her name, she may need to order a replacement green card to show the new name - Form I-90.

• 5 weeks later...

Quickie follow up question for the group...

The missus has been in the US just over 3 weeks now (hooray!!)... still no green card, though.

Any thoughts on if I should be concerned it hasn't shown up yet?

If so, who would I even call to check on it? I'm not super clear who the issuing authority is and who I'd takl to for a status...

Thanks,

Charlie