The ins and outs on moving to China

Thomas Promise

My better half and myself are thinking about relocating to China when I retire. I am nearly 63 now and I hope to retire in 2 more years at 65. I am a home owner with a debt free mortgage here in the US. Our city we are planning to live is Nanning in Guangxi Province.

What are some of the things we should look into in buying a home in China and the legal immigration to China. Any suggetions would be appreciated.

The easy answer - don't forget your tooth brush, although even that is readily available.

Once here, your marriage to a Chinese citizen can get you a one-year unlimited stay visa (either L-visa or residence permit - there doesn't seem to be any difference, depending on what the PSB gives you - until you've got 5 years under your belt here).

Your wife should be able to take care of getting a place to stay.

• Like 1

has your wife been in the USA for more than 5 years????

you want to ensure she gets your SS benifits if you 'Leave for Upstairs' while in China

Thomas's wife has never been to the USA, so that is a moot point.

Good luck with the move Thomas.

I don't know anything about your immigration but I know that buying a home in China is easy as pie. You say you're home is paid for. If you need to sell it to buy a home over there you will find many ways to send and convert the money, it's pretty simple. If no need to sell the American home it may be wise to hang onto it for a couple of years as you see how well you like life in China full time, and let a property manager take care of it's rental, etc. THey can direct deposit the money into your American bank account which you can access from your Chinese bank account when you have two who work with each other routinely.

Like Randy says, "toothbrush"....and they make very good ones in China. When I was preparing to move to China I was only going to take two suitcases with me, and I rented 3 storage sheds for my stuff, until I saw I would never be coming back, then was gonna make a trip to America to get rid of everything I hadn't already gotten rid of.

Some folks talk themselves in circles about containers,and all the "stuff" I must have in another country, etc...and that can be done, but really, China has everything for sale that you need....other than your personal mementoes. We have furniture, appliances, and electronics in our China home that are par with the best we could buy in America

SS will direct deposit your money, in a China bank account, or into your American bank account with your link to it from your China bank. Mike was looking out for your wife but it is a moot point with your situation.

The immigration paperwork and what to do's Randy and your wife will find out what needs to be done so other than a few hoops to jump through you have no real worries there.

Just find compatible banks, pack a bag, and go....lol

Good luck

tsap seui