I visited Chongqing and Beijing last month. It was so difficult to get a taxi there because there were very few taxi available. Taxi fares have barely increased during the past 10 years, and many cab drivers are reluctant to get on the road because the taxi fares are too low. When I was in China I found it difficult to get around without taxi, and I could not afford to rent and drive a car in China. I heard taxi fare is due to increase in Beijing in the near future. I hope that they increase the fare high enough so that there are more motivated taxi drivers on the road.

Wow! That is an interesting development to say the least. In the years I was in China, 1997-2003, taxis were ubiquitous - I mean, they were everywhere. Often they would almost fight to pick you up. And fares were dirt cheap. In my first year, spent in Hefei, the capital city of Anhui, you could take a taxi anywhere in the city for five yuan. When we moved down to Shantou in the summer of 1999, the fares were cheap there as well. The university was quite a distance from the central city, but still, a taxi could be negotiated for a reasonable price. We have, of course, been gone now for ten years so I expect many things have changed. I never would have predicted that taxis would become scarce.

In my experience here, I would rate cabs as being relatively sparse away from the main congregating points. They line up at the city center, waiting for their turn, but away from there and other congregating points, well, you take your chances.

When we stayed with my mother-in-law, she had a neighbor who drove a cab - we could call her when we needed a ride in the morning. After 10 o'clock at night, you almost have to go to a karaoke place to find one. The university is far enough away from the city lights that they can have an observatory - and no cabs (they'll let you off at a city bus stop).

We've even had cabs turn us down for the ride home because they knew they wouldn't get a fare for the return trip.

The fare here is still six yuan, but goes up from there with any distance at all.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Nowadays it is common for passengers to fight for a taxi cab. If it rains, just forget it! Many people in China have their own cars. So there is not a lot of push to develop the taxi cab industry. Taxi ride in Beijing starts at 10 yuans, the same price more than 10 years ago.

I feel sympathetic toward cab drivers. I mean they need to survive and need to do their job. That is why they would rather wait in front of hotels or where there is usually large crowd, than driving a cab around to search for passengers. The fuel cost has gone up a lot. Cab drivers cannot afford to drive a cab without a passenger in it.

Taxis are plentiful in Zhuhai, day or night. Zhuhai being a tourist destination, bordering Macau might be a factor here.

I think I remember they started at only 2 or 3 RMB. From my hotel to Gongbei Port, a 5 minute ride on a good and fast day was 14 RMB. For a 45 minute ride to Doumen and the factory I was working at, was flat 120 RMB fee. All in all very reasonable, and the taxi drivers were all very honest to this foreigner.

Shenzhen is a bit more difficult to hail a taxi. No matter, as the MTR is the best way to get around in that city.

I can jes see me and the lil' rabbit now....on our bikes pedaling from our hotel on Wangfujing Street to the airport. I'd get squished and turned into a pancake in the first 4 blocks...LOL

• Like 1

We visited Xi-An' a few years ago and took the 20Y bus from the airport to the city. Then tried to get a taxi to our hotel only half dozen blocks away and was told no by three drivers until one with a soft heart took us. I have always thought if I lived in Chiner I would never have to own a car...taxis and buses are the way go.

We visited Xi-An' a few years ago and took the 20Y bus from the airport to the city. Then tried to get a taxi to our hotel only half dozen blocks away and was told no by three drivers until one with a soft heart took us. I have always thought if I lived in Chiner I would never have to own a car...taxis and buses are the way go.

Same here, buddy, no need for no dang car. My wife always said if she failed with the State Department that we would buy a car when I came to live with her.

Yesterday she told me about how many more cars are on the streets in Fushun now...I wuz thinking in my head as she said this (how could they get anymore cars on the street?). Wenyan says...."If we live in China, we no need to buy car" I could only laugh at her change of heart. This rural life has changed the girl, maybe ruint her for life in crowded Chinartucky. :rotfl:

I figured at most I'd spend an average of $3 a day on transportation if I lived in Chinervania. Ain't no way I'd put my shiny Pickup on a street over there. I spent a couple weeks in Fushun in '06. I didn't see a bird the whole time and it was my first experience with a taxi driver pulling a "U-turn" across a 6 lane avenue, in the snow. :happydance:

Yes they are a little hard to get. Just got back. I would say 33% of the time we ride the bus because all Taxi's are full. I almost want to rent a car next time. Will they do that if no license?

Now at HungChow airport in Shanghai the Taxi's were lined up 3-4 wide and maybe 2 miles long. I have NEVER seen anything like that. The driver was so mad because we went a short distance. He showed us the problem.

We need to write the chairman a letter guys.

• 3 weeks later...