House hunting, ground floor or high up??

ama537621

Nice lookin' place alright. I would not mind livin' there myself. Except for that dining room wallpaper. All you need is some black light or maybe a strobe light and you'd be ready to party. For me I would have to replace it with the landlords permission of course even at my cost. The rest is great though. As for that porch I'll bet that something will find it's way there at least that is the way it is around my place.

Larry

Mick,

Shanghai, Jinshan District downtown Jinshan, The best thing is it has 3 bedrooms, So we get a nursery and a storage room. the owners want to keep the storage locker which I have no problem with, we are only going to be here 6-11 months. Well unless they offer me a ton of money to stay for a little longer.

I love the pictures - and Chop Suey has commented on the large pipe - and I love the outside. Really nice.

Ok, all kidding aside, where do you want me to send the mosquito repellent?

Mike,

I was thinking about making a spray system hooked up to a 55 gallon drum. When I walk out the door I will get misted with Industrial strength Off. If anyone has a contact with the OFF comapny let me know LOL.

Fu Lai,

I have no idea of the cost my company picks up the housing for any contract under 12 month's in length. We are going to live the wallpaper for the short time we will be livinh here.

About that "sewer stack" on the outside porch - if it's like ours (and I'm 99.9% certain it is), it will simply carry the runoff from the porches above. That is, you'll have a separate stack for each bathroom, one for each porch, and one for the kitchen. In our case, we have a second pipe parallel to the first, making a total of twelve pipes running vertically the length of the building. They'll empty into an open trench somewhere, which then runs into the river (sewage treatment in China). You'll also have smaller pipes to handle the A/C condensation. Some are inside a wall, the others are visible on the outside of the building

My late but real advice. We bought a 2nd floor condo in Jiangmen with a balcony on exterior facing a street (other floors have only interior balconies facing the courtyard, so ours balcony extended out farther than the upper floors. We found out quickly that Chinese like to through their trash out the window, not caring that it lands on our balcony. We had to buy a cover for the balcony. In addition, the first level is retail. We were fine until a butcher shop opened up in one of the stores near us. We awake 6 am each morning when the cleavers start chopping pork. So, I would never buy a second floor again; however, at least we don't have to use the elevator that is often broken. Another downside is we still have to pay an equal portion of the repairs.