Another letter to Maura Harty

I have signed off on the letter to Maura Harty that Eric posted earlier, and I think that it is outstanding. However, I have prepared another letter, also to be sent to Ms. Harty, which is a bit more specific in requesting information. Because I am a functional computer illiterate, I do not know how to create a link, so I apologize in advance for eating up so much space. Anyway, here goes (without the address and greeting, etc.):

I want to thank you for all the hard work that you and your staff have been doing to resolve the matter of visa issuance delays at the U.S. Consulate in Guangzhou. The announcement earlier this month that visa issuance was resuming was wonderful news for all of us who have been waiting so long to be reunited with our loved ones. However, for some of us, what first appeared to be good news has turned out to be yet another (and there have been several) source of anger, heartache, disappointment, frustration, and despair.

Since visa issuance resumed at Guangzhou earlier this month, it has become readily apparent that those cases in which the fiancee or spouse interviewed in the time period from roughly mid-July to early September, 2002, are being passed over, and that visas are now being issued to those who interviewed in October, November, and even December of 2002. In other words, those who have waited the longest are now being sent to the back of the line, so to speak, and visas are being issued to persons who applied and interviewed months later.

The unfairness and injustice of this state of affaits is readily apparent, and needs no explanation. When the rules for visa issuance were suddenly changed, without notice, on August 1, 2002, most of us who had the great misfortune to have interview dates scheduled shortly thereafter, and who had purchased non-refundable airline tickets, scheduled weddings, and taken other actions in reliance upon information contained on the Guangzhou consulate website which was incorrect, were chagrined. But we also had faith that the process would be administered in a fair and impartial manner once visa issuance resumed. That faith has now been shattered, right before the Christmas holidays, with knowledge of this information.

My questions are as follows:

1. Has there been some type of breakdown in the system, or is there some type of administrative problem with the cases in the aforementioned time frame which has allowed this injustice to occur? If so, what has happened, and who is responsible?

2. Has your office taken any action to correct this situation? If so, what action has been taken? If not, why not?

3. If no action has been taken, does your office plan to take any action in the future to address this problem? If so, what action does your office plan to take, and when?

4. Why is one group of U.S. citizens (i.e. those whose loved ones interviewed in the aforementioned time period) being treated differently than another group of U.S. citizens (i.e. those who interviewed in the later time period) when both are seeking the same privileges from the U.S. government?

Again, I appreciate everything you and your staff have done to date to address the general problem of visa issuance delay at the Guangzhou consulate, and I hope that you will promptly take whatever action is within your authority to restore fairness to this process. I look forward to your response soon.

Again, sorry so long. Please give me your thoughts, and let me know if you would like me to sign your name. I will cahnge all the "I"s to "we" s if someone else wants on.

"state of affaits" should be "state of affairs".

Otherwise very good. I would co-sign. You might want to wait until Friday or so to see what really transpires in the next week and to avoid the appearance of "spamming". I know they deserve it, but it won't help if they start ignoring such letters because they get one a day.

<snip>

Again, sorry so long.  Please give me your thoughts, and let me know if you would like me to sign your name.  I will cahnge all the "I"s to "we" s if someone else wants on.

what the hell.. Put my name on any blurb that go to CA to end this nightmare of ours....

Good letter by the way.... One observation though.. Try to keep it a one page thing.... And do not send it right away.. As James said, let's look a bit organized.. and not spammers... Just my thoughts