Medical emergency

Oldfriend

Ying's parents are here on a visitors visa and as it turns out Baba needs medical attention. He needs to get surgery. Anybody have a similar experience and/or know what the options are for such a case?

Naturally, we don't have cash up front and we don't want them to go back to China for this.

I just found this out today so I haven't had time to research. Any nudges in the right direction would be so appreciated.

Thanks

Wow, Steve - no nudge here - I just hope it turns out okay. Seems like you ought to seriously consider sending him back to China - seems like that would be the best option financially if not medically. I know Jiaying felt better with the Chinese medical care. Even if you get a Chinese doctor here, the nurses and other hired help is likely to be English-speaking. Especially with a new arrival, the comfort factor should be a big consideration (of course, I have no idea what a trip back would mean for his medical condition).

Sorry to hear this Steve. I wish him the best. As for ideas we have discussed this thing many times mostly before the parents in law get here and the options are very few if any other than you and the wife just paying up. Of course in my neck of the woods if it's an emergency and he is taken to the emergency room they are obligated to treat him whether he can pay or not. A lot of Latin folks use this technique. Our county hospital lost $14,000,000 last year via this method of treatment.

Larry

If you decide to do the surgery here, and have to pay for it without insurance, make sure they charge you a realistic amount rather than the bloated figures they report to the insurance company, in the back-and-forth game they play to try to negotiate with them. After (or before, i suppose) you get the bill, you can make sure they understand you're not using insurance and they should offer a lower figure.

Wow, Steve - no nudge here - I just hope it turns out okay. Seems like you ought to seriously consider sending him back to China - seems like that would be the best option financially if not medically. I know Jiaying felt better with the Chinese medical care. Even if you get a Chinese doctor here, the nurses and other hired help is likely to be English-speaking. Especially with a new arrival, the comfort factor should be a big consideration (of course, I have no idea what a trip back would mean for his medical condition).

Baba is 79. The chances of seeing him again after this visit are, in all honesty, slim. The main reason we brought them here was to give them a rest and peace for awhile. Baba's appreciation for his "good son-in-law" has worked wonders for improving our marriage.

I would be more than willing to foot the bill over 20 years if need be. But, was hoping to find another way. Will still be looking. Call some hospitals, get some advice.

Anything but add to the fires of immigrant (in whatever form) prejudice. In other words, we will pay our way.

Sorry to hear this Steve. I wish him the best. As for ideas we have discussed this thing many times mostly before the parents in law get here and the options are very few if any other than you and the wife just paying up. Of course in my neck of the woods if it's an emergency and he is taken to the emergency room they are obligated to treat him whether he can pay or not. A lot of Latin folks use this technique. Our county hospital lost $14,000,000 last year via this method of treatment.

Larry

Hi Larry, I'm sure we will work something out. Not sure if his condition is considered an emergency enough to get admitted. Something more to research. Thanks.

Well, if you don't want to pay, then don't sign anything. But you say you will, that is good. Be careful if you live in Illinoise though. I met some real quacks that came from foreign countries and would do about anything you asked them to do. I moved back to Texas just to get away form them before my son was born.

Well, if you don't want to pay, then don't sign anything. But you say you will, that is good. Be careful if you live in Illinoise though. I met some real quacks that came from foreign countries and would do about anything you asked them to do. I moved back to Texas just to get away form them before my son was born.

I don't have any issue what-so-ever about carrying our own, this you already know. It's running away that makes me crazy.

Imagine, someone here by the good graces of the USCIS and then livin' off the public dough! Not on my watch!

• 3 weeks later...