Message for U.S. Citizens: H7N9

back in the news

Is China Ground Zero for a Future Pandemic? Hundreds there have already died of a new bird flu, putting world health authorities on high alert

H7N9 first spread from birds to humans in 2013. Since then, there have been five waves of the virus. The fifth wave began in October 2016. By September 2017, it had infected 764 people—far more than any of the four preceding waves. Health officials recently confirmed that there have been 1,589 total cases of H7N9, with 616 of them fatal. “Anytime you have a virus with a 40 percent mortality rate,” says Tim Uyeki, the chief medical officer for the influenza division at the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, “that’s very, very serious.”
So far, the only verified means by which patients have acquired the virus is through direct exposure to infected animals. But if H7N9 were to mutate further and develop the ability to pass readily from person to person, it could spread rapidly and kill millions of people worldwide.

You need to be vigilant my friend. Avoid crowds, shady eateries, etc. Is it primarily spread through birds or other critters, like pigs? A 40 percent mortality rate is something that should be taken very seriously.

I was beginning to want to go back but I think that I'll stay right here. It is time to get my Chinese visa renewed in the next couple of months.