Too good to be true?

xiaohou

Some people in this topic were talking about taking bets if I was to get married on my fist trip. Lets say if it did happen, when I'm back in the states and file for the K3 visa, would I be able to add her to my tax at the end of the year 2013?

She has mentioned that she wants to change her name. I thought if she still lived in China, that she could change her passport and ID card before I file the K3 so everything matches.

Just a thought, not a plan.

Thanks

Some people in this topic were talking about taking bets if I was to get married on my fist trip. Lets say if it did happen, when I'm back in the states and file for the K3 visa, would I be able to add her to my tax at the end of the year 2013?

She has mentioned that she wants to change her name. I thought if she still lived in China, that she could change her passport and ID card before I file the K3 so everything matches.

Thanks

If you're married on Dec 31st, you're married for the entire year as far as the tax laws are concerned. If you file married filing jointly, you would need to include her income for the entire year, although the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion allows you to exclude SOME of that as if it were taxed in the 10% bracket. You would need to file a W-7 with the tax return in order to get an ITIN for her. You may wish to look into filing married filing separately, depending on what her income was.

You would file an I-130 for a CR-1 visa - the K-3's seem to be falling by the wayside in favor of the (I-130) CR-1's.

You would file an I-130 for a CR-1 visa - the K-3's seem to be falling by the wayside in favor of the (I-130) CR-1's.

Thanks for the heads up on the correct paperwork. We talked a little more this morning about it and she doesn't want to marry till next year. Wants a spring wedding next year. So guess I'll be heading back again. In my opinion, smart gal, that way we are not rushing into anything or making a rash decision. But she did say she wanted to go shopping for rings. :-)

Anybody ever ship a guzheng before?

Thanks for the heads up on the correct paperwork. We talked a little more this morning about it and she doesn't want to marry till next year. Wants a spring wedding next year. So guess I'll be heading back again. In my opinion, smart gal, that way we are not rushing into anything or making a rash decision. But she did say she wanted to go shopping for rings. :-)

Anybody ever ship a guzheng before?

We have a gu zheng here in America, and were wondering how we could get it to China.

As far as I can tell, it would probably get destroyed shipping it either way.

Ours cost about 1000$, so if that price isn't out of your budget, maybe just buy one for America, and keep her current one in China.

I will say though, if your wife plays, and you enjoy traditional Chinese music, you are SET.

I love to listen when my wife plays.

As for waiting to marry, I think that is always smart. The better you know each other, the higher the chance of a relationship that works well.

Be sure to document the time, keep pictures, dates, letters, etc. so that you have an easier time in GUZ.

Best wishes.

Thanks

You proposed to her?

Thanks

You proposed to her?

No, technically I have not yet. I am waiting to ask her when I am there and we spend a lot of time together. I have even learned how to say it in Chinese for when the right time comes. We have talked about it but I have not come right out and said “will you marry me”. I think we will both know after a couple of weeks from my arrival.

She has sent me some pictures of some wedding rings. Very basic bands with a little tiny stone in the middle. Said she rather spend the money on the honeymoon rather than a ring.

Hello, If you are planning to to make two trips to China perhaps you should consider a multi entry visa. Will both trips be within a 12 month period? Other members have used a Visa Serice called Oasis. They seem very responsive. Have a great trip. Danb

What's the huge rush????

My advice would be to not mention marriage AT ALL. Go and meet her and assess the situation with a clear head. DON'T MARRY upon the first meeting. Don't even hint at it or insinuate that you're thinking of it. Play possum to see which way the wind blows. She may be the one but don't let on. There is time.

Be the tourist and sightseer. Keep your radar alert. Posters here will comment on all your comments with clear advice. You state with certainty that "She hasn't dated for 14 years so must be something about me that pulls at her heart." This is without meeting her or knowing facts. I don't want to pour cold water but, you know... Just my two cents.

• Like 1

No rush at all. I plan to go there and have some fun and learn something new. She promised that she will show me the true nuture of Beijing. How to take the bus, subway, go shopping and the general area around where she lives. We keep flipping back and forth on the idea if I live there or she comes to the USA but we both are leaning to my relocation. That's why my postings keep jumping from one question to the other. I want to cover all bases for what ever plan works out. Plus I love doing a lot of research and reading.

• 2 months later...

Love is blind. :gleam: We fall in love with the person's personality but must live :pash: with the charcter.

So true....from both sides. My wife uses the word quality for character. She knows we are both a couple of characters....and that it is our individual qualities that we have to constantly keep in line with each other. Luckily she acknowledges that every problem is not solely the white boy's fault. :rotfl:

tsap seui

• 4 weeks later...

I have returned with a fist full of pictures and receipts. But the funny thing is that she really doesn't have much intrest in moving to USA. She keeps talking about and wanting me to move there.

I had a friend once tell me "why would a chinese or any other asian woman want to marry a westerner and NOT move to the US?"

It does help a lot that I have been there many times for business already and can speak some chinese so the thought of just moving there is picking at my mind day and night.

Anythoughts, ideas, input?

Thanks