Too good to be true?

xiaohou

I know some men think about that trophy wife or “arm candy” here in the states but can the opposite be said for a Chinese woman to have a western husband there?

My wife, Leiqin, wants me to go with China with her for a couple of weeks at the end of this year. I tease her by saying that she just wants to have her white monkey with her to show off to everyone. In Nanning, us westerners are a bit of an oddity who are constantly stared at. I would suppose that there's a bit of a trophy husband thinking with my wife. Wonder what Randy and other expat's thoughts and experiences are.

Interesting. I've not found that to be the case in Nanning, but maybe that's just me.

Yes, you would probably want your American checks either deposited electronically, or mailed to a friend who could deposit them for you. The mail forwarding works fine, too, but then it wouldn't make any sense to have to mail it back to the U.S. for depositing, or, even worse, try to deposit it in a Chinese bank.

The $90,000+ Foreign Earned Income Exclusion applies to foreign earned income only, and is actually a partial tax credit which won't allow you to exclude the entire amount if you have any substantial U.S. income.

Between the Internet here in my office and the Chinese folks outside, I'm never alone.

For the deposit I always figured I'd use my phone.

Most all banks (in usa) allow you to deposit checks with your phone.

Good luck with that, but I don't think I'd care to try. Let us know.

I've only mailed one check from here, which went without a hitch. The only traceable service from here (Yulin) is EMS, which has a fee of around $30. I sent the check by regular mail.

Yes, you would probably want your American checks either deposited electronically, or mailed to a friend who could deposit them for you. The mail forwarding works fine, too, but then it wouldn't make any sense to have to mail it back to the U.S. for depositing, or, even worse, try to deposit it in a Chinese bank.

The $90,000+ Foreign Earned Income Exclusion applies to foreign earned income only, and is actually a partial tax credit which won't allow you to exclude the entire amount if you have any substantial U.S. income.

Between the Internet here in my office and the Chinese folks outside, I'm never alone.

For the deposit I always figured I'd use my phone.

Most all banks (in usa) allow you to deposit checks with your phone.

Good luck with that, but I don't think I'd care to try. Let us know.

I've only mailed one check from here, which went without a hitch. The only traceable service from here (Yulin) is EMS, which has a fee of around $30. I sent the check by regular mail.

oh, works great Randy.

We deposit almost every check we receive this way.

Only time we see a bank is if we need to deposit cash.

oh, works great Randy.

We deposit almost every check we receive this way.

Only time we see a bank is if we need to deposit cash.

Yes, but you live in the U.S. I would HOPE that that wouldn't work from China, but yes, I'd expect that you might be able to use VoIP and possibly VPN (not sure if that would be necessary) connections to do the same thing from here in China.

Let us know if you've tried that.

But still, that's only necessary if the checks are mailed to you in China, which probably ISN'T necessary. But that would open the possibility of depositing a check through a photocopy, which could be emailed (or acquired through a website image) to you from a mail forwarding service.