Chinese tea ceremony

Guest ExChinaExpat

Guest ExChinaExpat

I have always enjoyed the Chinese tea ceremony, which typically includes the tea-leader who sits at a pouring table. There, he or she washes the small cups, rinses the tea, and them quickly steeps it. The tea is then strained for pouring into small cups.

Now, I am not one who can tell the difference between fresh tea and old tea. Often, you will receive samples of several different tea types. It's a time to just sip and enjoy.

tinypic kicked the bucket

Edited by Randy W
seven pictures (see edit history)

Very nice place and pictures!

I might mention that it's rare that I've had strained tea in China, usually leaves left in the water. I remember going to a tea bar of some sort that served tea, buffet style. You get your tray and a few tea cups at one end and the buffet booth had about 50 kinds of tea leaves in large bowls. You go through the line and choose several kinds of tea in separate cups on your tray. Then at the end is the hot water dispenser and you fill your cups. Back at the table you just sit back with your guest for long conversation. Of course since this is China there is some food too if you wanted, a hot pot at every table and you can choose from some limited selections at a smaller buffet table.

Was this a recent outing you had JiangsuExpat? Which city?

They are anywhere where you would see a large tea store (even some of the smaller ones around here), but especially in tourist areas.

I read an article somewhere (don't remember where) where someone claimed that they were scams - that they would have plants in the audience to pay for "their share" of the show and tes, and then expect you to pony up also, but Jiaying and I have never come across this. We did a little shopping in Kunming and Lijiang for pu'er - I'll see if I can't post some of my pictures.

Guest ExChinaExpat

Very nice place and pictures!

I might mention that it's rare that I've had strained tea in China, usually leaves left in the water. I remember going to a tea bar of some sort that served tea, buffet style. You get your tray and a few tea cups at one end and the buffet booth had about 50 kinds of tea leaves in large bowls. You go through the line and choose several kinds of tea in separate cups on your tray. Then at the end is the hot water dispenser and you fill your cups. Back at the table you just sit back with your guest for long conversation. Of course since this is China there is some food too if you wanted, a hot pot at every table and you can choose from some limited selections at a smaller buffet table.

Was this a recent outing you had JiangsuExpat? Which city?

I took these photos yesterday in Guangzhou, at the orchid park. I highly recommend it for those who are visiting the city.

Guest ExChinaExpat

They are anywhere where you would see a large tea store (even some of the smaller ones around here), but especially in tourist areas.

I read an article somewhere (don't remember where) where someone claimed that they were scams - that they would have plants in the audience to pay for "their share" of the show and tes, and then expect you to pony up also, but Jiaying and I have never come across this. We did a little shopping in Kunming and Lijiang for pu'er - I'll see if I can't post some of my pictures.

Yes, you're right. I was fortunate to be with someone who was a former buyer and seller of tea. I followed their lead. Really like to see the photos of Lijiang. In my opinion, Lijiang (Yunnan) is one of the most spectacular and beautiful cities in all China.

I have been to a tea store near Guangzhou quite impressive the different teas, some being aged like wine, some like a bread bolla in shape. In many different resturants some only known to the Chinese themselves I had tea with the meals, though, I do not believe the Chinese have a "lock" on the art of brewing tea; tea keeps steeping if left in the pot which I believe does not lend to a good taste! Green teas need to steep three minutes in water that just begins to show bubbles before the actual boil, black teas four minutes in water that is boiling, then there is the weight of tea in grams to the amount of water, usally 1and 3/4 teaspoon will meet this. remember don't stir the tea as it is steeping, this will "rush" the tea, taking away from the flavor, add some honey and enjoy.

I've experienced a couple of Japanese tea ceremonies, but not any Chinese. The Japanese one is as ritualized and rigid as a Roman Catholic High Mass, though.

Interestingly, ChunMei has never suggested we go to one, though. One the other hand she's told me a couple of times that, concerning tea, she prefers "American" tea to Chinese tea.

Go figure.

http://www.jennichong.com/?p=411

China is the homeland of tea. It is believed that China has been growing tea bushes as early as five to six thousand years ago. Tea is grown in forty countries, with Asian countries producing 90% of the world’s total output. All tea bushes can be traced back to their origin directly or indirectly to China.Tea drinking spread to Japan in the 6th century, but it was not introduced to Europe and America till the 17th and 18th centuries. Now tea is the most popular drink in the world. There are the English tea, Japanese tea amongst many but today I am writing about Chinese tea.

My crazy lil' rabbit looks like a Chinese woman, she and our son often talk to each other in Chinese, although I tell them it is French, and I met her in China....but but....sometimes I'm not really sure if she is Chinese. We don't have a single tea leaf in our home, and she never offered me tea in our home in China when I went to visit. Could she be a Chinese knock off of a Chinese woman? Did I git bamboozled?

I'm thinkin' mebbe I need to investigate this matter more fully. Over the years I've read so many things that Chinese women do that lil' brer rabbit doesn't do.....like trust another Chinese woman on 001 as speaking the gospel about how things are done in Uncle Samville over me, who has lived his life in America, and there are many more indications. What the hail, mate, did I git flim-flamed by that agency that sent me 10 photos of 3 different wimmin, and then a 4th woman who looked nothing like any of the 10 photos showed up at the airport. Lord God Billy Bawb....I may have me a fake Chinertuckian. Should I call the USCIS?

tsap seui

• Like 1

My crazy lil' rabbit looks like a Chinese woman, she and our son often talk to each other in Chinese, although I tell them it is French, and I met her in China....but but....sometimes I'm not really sure if she is Chinese. We don't have a single tea leaf in our home, and she never offered me tea in our home in China when I went to visit. Could she be a Chinese knock off of a Chinese woman? Did I git bamboozled?

I'm thinkin' mebbe I need to investigate this matter more fully. Over the years I've read so many things that Chinese women do that lil' brer rabbit doesn't do.....like trust another Chinese woman on 001 as speaking the gospel about how things are done in Uncle Samville over me, who has lived his life in America, and there are many more indications. What the hail, mate, did I git flim-flamed by that agency that sent me 10 photos of 3 different wimmin, and then a 4th woman who looked nothing like any of the 10 photos showed up at the airport. Lord God Billy Bawb....I may have me a fake Chinertuckian. Should I call the USCIS?

tsap seui

I often have the same suspicions, tsap. Li is so different than the stereotypical Chinese woman that you would swear she was raised in another culture. I really wasn't aware of how different she was when we first met, but because we lived together in China for so long, I think I was able to draw some fairly deep comparisons over the years. And now, after ten years in America (come March 29), the difference is even more pronounced. As for 001, she visited the site a couple of times when we lived in China and never went back. It was never so much a case of believing them over me or me over them. Li always preferred to do her own investigation and make up her own mind. She never was a person to take something as gospel, just because someone said it was true.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, We visited Chengdu this year. There is a teahouse culture in Chengdu. Not exactly sure how it is linked to the Chinese Tea ceronomy. Supposing there are a lot of teahouses in Chengdu. One goes to them to drink tea with friends. We went to several touristy streets in Chengdu. One street (Jinli)St. had a lot of tea shops. One of the shop put on a variety type show. It was interesting to see some of the acts. The major reason I wanted to go was to see the quick Face mask changing show. I think that quick face masking changes are used in the Chengdu Opera. We also went to Kuai Zhai Xiangzi street. Here I was introduced to a red date tea. It was pretty good. We also caught a demostration of the Chinese Tea ceromony and a quick Face mask changing show also. Unfortunated the demostration and the explaination was in Chinese so I didn't get much info on it. We went to a temple that also had a tea garden shop in it also. I think teahouses were used a long time ago as a place to socialize. I took a history class a few years ago. Not quite sure why but in that class we studied a couple of Chinese short stories/ plays where the stories took place in a tea house. I enjoyed our trip to Chengdu. I think I can be such a tourist at times. Danb