Stopping Food Waste At Restaurants

Fu Lai

Funny that just 2 weeks ago I mentioned this to a co-worker after a company lunch. It bugs me to leave full serving plates of food on the table when there are plenty of starving folks all around. Now the govt. is asking places and people to be more aware.

As it’s reported by Wuhan Evening news, complying to the instruction of president Xi, about 10 more selected restaurants such as taizi, hujing, xiaolanjing and so on gathered together and had a conversation about how to prevent the extravagance in 76 restaurants in Wuhan on January 28th.

It’s said there are four policies advocated: offering free packing boxes for the dishes left after the meal, serving dishes in small plates or with less portion, lessening the dishes for group customers(for example: 9 dishes for 10 people), catering the dishes one by one instead of serving them all togethe

Wuhan 76 restaurants admonish "the tip of the tongue wasted four strokes" The Han Net www.cnhan.com 2013-01-29 Contributing: Wuhan Evening News

BAD TRANSLATION OF http://www.cnhan.com/content/2013-01/29/content_1977055.htm

Han Net News (Reporter correspondent Dan-Ni Wang the Liwang Lin Wang
ODA) recently, General Secretary Xi Jinping Xinhua News Agency reported
that catering waste problem, made important instructions.

24, 2009, the China Cuisine Association organized the food and beverage
industry "oppose extravagance and waste, advocate a civilized frugal
dinner" seminars, national restaurant industry to reflect on the dining
table wasting illnesses.

Yesterday, Wuhan Prince, Kam Lake, Xiaolan Jing, sunny, three to five
alcohol, month drunk Jiang, Hunan, Hubei, love, music Fuyuan new sea
view, Lihua Park Kaiwei Brasserie more than 10 food and beverage boss
gathered jointly discuss how to resolve waste on the tip of the tongue. "

Wuhan Food Industry Association Secretary-General Tu water introduced
as early as in 2007, Wuhan began to combat waste and promote thrift
dining, but with little success.
Collective dining waste really no way around this?
Yesterday, the of Wuhan new font hotel more than 10 boss signed "Wuhan
catering industry to carry out the a civilized dining table to action".

Wuhan Food Industry Association, said Liu Guoliang, the city's 10 more
than 76 outlets in the hotel will be the first implementation of the
"extraordinary measures" from the full range intercept dining wasted,
Wuhan dining table wasting incurable Liu Qicheng.

Devaluation free packaging

The Beijing Experience has shown that four percent reduction in waste

The restaurant received a packing box 1 yuan, better harvested.
"A lot of people pay too pay to buy the packaged box too much trouble,
not packaged Some people see others treat owner do not buy packaged box
too embarrassed to buy packaged box packaging." Kam Lake hotel
operations responsible person Willow charges packaged box is one of the
main guests not packaged.

Yesterday, the person in charge of the 76 outlets of the restaurant
industry Association agreed: the implementation of free packaged in the
restaurant.

The city is the first implementation of free packaged Beijing.
In According to the restaurant industry Association Tang Qingshun, free
and packaged more than 740 food and beverage outlets in Beijing, the
waste caused by the leftovers will be reduced by about 40%.

Tape-for-small-cap

Hotels pushing half copies dish

Wuhan forthright, like dish loaded with the broader market, many a dish components, buried waste hazards.
At the same time, a lot of food and beverage hotel only to push the
standard disk, while small portions of dishes, half copies dish, or
patients with copies dish.

Yesterday, Wuhan Catering Industry Association vice president of Sun
peach aroma to the whole industry call, managing 76 food and beverage
outlets to provide consumers with a half copies dish ", small portions
of food," "hot dishes platter", in the broader market for small-cap At
the same time, from the source to reduce the wasting of the table.

Sun peach aroma suggests, the restaurant can do some of the 2, 3, 4
packages dishes all made small, so that we spend less but still eat many
varieties.

"From foreign experience, to distinguish between the size of the disk
and set 'small portions of vegetables', 'half copies dish', can be
reduced to about half of the family dining wasted." Sun Peach Hong said.

's First "N minus 1" a la carte method

Table guests less one or two dishes

Group meal waste for weddings, banquets and other serious, Wuhan
catering industry will be introduced "N minus 1" or "N minus 2" a la
carte method, small arrangements, that is, in the original feast recipes
on a person's appetite, and even arrangement, less the weight of two
people.
Thus, to reduce the catering waste.

"À la carte restaurant waiter will prompt less of a person, or two
dishes to consumers." Music Fuyuan Hotel chairman of said Liu Wangming,
the birth of her laid-off workers to eat in their own homes, will do how
much to eat as much .
The hotel implement small à la carte, dining table was a waste and then reduce to one or two percent.

The private rooms Consumer "Dining System"

Eating a dish again on another channel

The high-end Business is a waste of the hardest hit yesterday, 76
large-scale food and beverage outlets will launch a private room Dining
System Business dishes by the waiter average assigned to each dining
tableware finished dish and then on dish, in order to avoid wastage.

"Each dining guests eat different, some people eat just right, and some
people will not eat. Dining System can solve this problem. Dishes first
put on the plate, turned a lap, assigned to the small cap Guests eating
one again on the next disc. directly pack some guests could eat, no
health hazards. "sunny hotel operations director Lee Kwan Fong.

Edited by Fu Lai (see edit history)

I was always amazed at the Chinese way of ordering enough food for 25 fat Americans, yet there was only 10 skinny Chinese sitting there at the table...DOH

"Wazzup wid dat, is there some ancient wisdom and important signifigance to throwing away more food than you eat?" I axed the lil' rabbit?

Turns out there is.....F A C E The one footin' the bill would lose face if there wasn't huge steamin' great gobs of food left on the table....like the bill footer was a CHEAPSTER.

I'm still scratchin' my butt, pickin' my nose, and wiping the boogers on the underside of the table in deep contemplation over that wisdom. No matter how thorough or how deep I pick my nose....I don't git it. Then again, I quit worryin' about "face" and what other people thought back in '62. Shucks, until I went to Chinartucky, I always thought "face" was simply a place for a purdy girl to sit. Shows ya how back country road I am, I never knowed "face" wuz such a resounding awe inspirin' concept as a good way to fill a dumpster quickly.

Well sir, in Chinartucky I never got to have desert because as Pink Floyd sez...."How can you have yer pudding, if you don't eat yer meat".

Another startlin' revelation I had in Chiner....There is no "Clean Plate Club" in any, no matter how fancy, restaurant in that country. All my childhood my momma and daddy took me n' my brother to the S&W restaurant in Greesnboro, NC. If us kids cleaned our plates they had this table with yummy gooey deserts on it. Over the table was a sign that said..."For Clean Plate Club Members....ONLY"

tsap seui

Guest ExChinaExpat

I've had a lot of "business" dinners and lunches in China and Taiwan. There is an unspoken rule of ordering so many dishes and rounds of food that every single person in attendance will not be able to eat another bite before leaving. As soon as a spot on the plate dolly clears, the staff bring another entree, and another, and so on, and so on. It's pretty disgusting actually. And, they don't get fat.

When the bill gets paid, there are full pots of soup, full plates of food still there. As most of you know, the food is set in the middle of the table on a rotating dolly for everyone to pick at. Waste seems to be a sign of success and wealth, along with doing it in a private special room.

Edited by JiangsuExpat (see edit history)
  • Like 1

That's what my wife told me, it's a sign of big money...to leave a ton of food on the table. I guess it's more appealing and gratifing than just flushing your excess money down the terlet by yourself with no one looking. :rotfl:

AS Billy Crystal used to say in the Saturday NIght Live skit called Fernando's Corner..."Always remember dahling, it's better to look good, than to feel good."

F A C E It's nothing if not hilarious.

tsap seui

I think I've told you this before Tsap, but I'll say it again.....you are really missing out on the Queen Mary being parked outside your door by not having your writings published in a weekly if not daily syndicated newspaper. Surely I can not be the only one who sees this as your true gift.

The Candle was so very helpful to me in every aspect of the immigration process, two year green card, ten year green card. Enough thanks can never be said about this, but now I return for, if for nothing else, just to read your "musings". And articles such as the one above always give me a good laugh. Thanks Tsap!

I got told repeatedly on business trips to NOT eat all on my plate and always leave some in the serving dish. I got a lady all chewed out one morning following his rules I thought, but it was too low on food so all the trouble. My host was mad at me and we never ate there again.

I think I've told you this before Tsap, but I'll say it again.....you are really missing out on the Queen Mary being parked outside your door by not having your writings published in a weekly if not daily syndicated newspaper. Surely I can not be the only one who sees this as your true gift.

The Candle was so very helpful to me in every aspect of the immigration process, two year green card, ten year green card. Enough thanks can never be said about this, but now I return for, if for nothing else, just to read your "musings". And articles such as the one above always give me a good laugh. Thanks Tsap!

Wow, all I can say is WOW Steve. I never looked at my writing's like that. I get told, kinda often now days, about "you oughta write your book" and such, and we have a ball when I read junk I wrote for the lil' writers group Wenyan and I go to...but I don't take myself seriously...to me it's just looking at life and the world with a laugh in my heart. Honestly, so often it's like I am laughing as if I'm reading someone else's words....many the time lil' rabbit will walk into my room and ask me "who are you talking to ?...I hear you laughing". I tell her I am laughing at her crazy husband. I swear I don't know where it comes from...and the talking she says she hears is me repeating some of the stuff I wrote as I laugh at it. Perhaps I am just easily amused.

Thanks for your words Steve. That means a lot to me that you took the time to say that. It's one of the nicest things anyone ever told me.

Everytime I see you post I get the biggest kick out of your avatar, as well as your sense of humor. It's been great to see you go through the process and I remember the excitement I felt when your gal went for her interview. So good to see you guys living happy and finished up with the "gubmit" dawgs.

Take care buddy

tsap seui

Guest ExChinaExpat

Earlier this month i was in Tianjin. At all the restaurant meals with friends or family the left overs were packed up in styrofoam containers, bagged and divied up among the diners to take home.

That's pretty common I think. Someone will speak up and say, "Fuwuyuan, da bao." Which simply means: waitress, please pack the leftovers to go.