Weekend Tourist to Xi'an

We are going March 15-17 (plane tickets bought) and I really am anticipating seeing the terracotta warriors!

"Today the walls of the Ming dynasty and the Tang palace walls hint at the Xi’an’s glorious past. Stare in awe at the Terracotta Army, 7,000 terracotta statues of Qin Bingmayong Bowuguan warriors and soldiers. Dating from 210 BCE, they were discovered in 1974 and are still being excavated. Don't miss the Shaanxi History Museum or a chance to heat up at former imperial bathing spot, Huaqing Hot Springs."

So what are the essential things to do all in a weekend's time? hahaha

Obviously, some choices have to be made...

Popular Xi'an attractions Edited by Fu Lai (see edit history)

I toured Xi'an back in 2005, very historical city can take days to explore properly.

I used a tour company, this one is based in China they have a very comprehensive and organized two day tour of Xi'an.

http://www.chinahighlights.com/tour/xiantour/xa-1/

Have a good time there.

We did the tourista thing in 2009 and then caught the train to Llasa, 34 hours of fantastic scenery. We walked around Xi'an and happened on a big dumpling restaurant. They bragged a different/special vegetable that they used in their vegetarian dumpling...delicious and memorable. I agree that it takes more than a couple days to see this interesting old city...we have wished that we stayed there rather than, Llasa.

Xian was my favorite place I visited in China. In addition to Bin Ma Yong I would recommend theTomb of Emporer Jingdi(we stopped from the airport going into the city), the city wall and Muslm Street which might be BeiYuanmein Street. Though nothing beats the Terracotta warriors.

Guest ExChinaExpat

Xi'an is a great place to tour, and as as noted many things to see and do in the city. Because it's such a popular tourist stop, you can hire an English speaking tour guide, or use the remote translator that you can plug into each exhibit to learn about it. The city wall is fully intact and circles the old city. There are bicycles you can rent at the wall, which is a great way to see it all. There are even tandem bikes available if you want to ride with your partner.

The walk to the top of Emperor Qin's tomb is a long one with several hundred steps. Be prepared for that. Most tours usually stop here before taking you to the terracotta tour location. Be wary of the guides at the terracotta location, as they will push and push to buy things.

There is a large Muslim district in Xi'an, which I highly recommend visiting for sites and food. Lamb dishes are great and plentiful. There is a Han burial site near the airport that is a miniature version of the terracotta site. Also, an ancient burial site reported to be over 6000 years old.

Xian City Wall

http://i46.tinypic.com/2cxurv5.jpg

http://i45.tinypic.com/3521y8o.jpg

6000 Year-Old Burial Site

http://i47.tinypic.com/k13ux5.jpg

Walk to the Top of the Qin Tomb

http://i49.tinypic.com/332pao4.jpg

Bell Tower

http://i46.tinypic.com/3adk7.jpg

Edited by JiangsuExpat (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • 11 months later...

I live in Xi'an. I highly recommend the Shaanxi History Museum; it's not only free, but also a rather nicely organized museum with exhibits spanning the entirety of ancient China's history.

Skip Xiaoyanta, but definitely see Dayanta. Ignore the fact that everything surrounding the Pagoda is overtly commercialized.

Lastly, the City Wall is great especially in part to the bike rental service that's offered.

I earlier missed this thread.

We went to Xian in 2006. Also loved this city. Did pretty much all that has been said.

Even had the over exuberant guide. He was a uni student gaining an income while studying. One night I bought him a beer and explained what I considered good and bad service. Actions proved he had other options.

At the airport I gave our driver a tip that made him smile and then shook the hand of our guide. I have never done this before or since but I don't regret it.

By the way, does anyone know what has happened to Fu Lie? Haven't noticed him around for some time.

I earlier missed this thread.

We went to Xian in 2006. Also loved this city. Did pretty much all that has been said.

Even had the over exuberant guide. He was a uni student gaining an income while studying. One night I bought him a beer and explained what I considered good and bad service. Actions proved he had other options.

At the airport I gave our driver a tip that made him smile and then shook the hand of our guide. I have never done this before or since but I don't regret it.

By the way, does anyone know what has happened to Fu Lie? Haven't noticed him around for some time.

Fu Lai is banned.

Hi, We are in Xian now. We took the Bullit train from Beijing to Xian. It took about 5.5 hours and the cost was about 550 RMB. The ride was comfortable and smooth. We were going about 300km/hr. I was a little disappointed that I didn't have a window seat and plus from what I could tell the landscape was kinda flat and not that interesting. But I still enjoyed the trip. We are staying at a service apartment hotel about 2-3 blocks away from the Bell Tower. So far the only problem that I have with the service apartment type hotels is that they are a bit little hard to locate. I think the rate is 128 or 188 RMB a night, The Drum tower is within a block of the Bell tower. There is also a Hui Muslem tourist area that is just about 1 1/2 block away. We did the ChengJiang ( the City Wall) bike ride . It took about 90 minutes to go all the way around the wall. Yesterday we went to see the Terracotta warriors and also went to the Huaqing Hot Spring where the Xian Incident took place. Today is our last day and I hope we can make it to the Big Goose Pagoda, the Shaanxi History Museum and then the Great Mosque. The weather here is a little cold. Perhaps in the high 30's or low 40's. Hey but what should one expect in January. I am disappointed in the air quality, Breathing isn't the problem but seeing is not that great.

Danb