Compare International Cost of Living

Guest ExChinaExpat

Guest ExChinaExpat

Here's an interesting link that allows you to compare the cost of living between different cities of the world. For example, here is a comparison between the Cost of Living (COL) in Nanjing and New York City:

http://i47.tinypic.com/357rlok.jpg

You can expand the findings to reveal more detail:

http://i48.tinypic.com/240x212.jpg

I checked a few other cities and it seems pretty close. It can be an interesting tool to use, but is based on the feedback of people living in the areas.

http://www.expatistan.com/

I like the idea, but the comparison is to live a american lifestyle in both countries.

If a chinese were to come to america, but continue their chinese lifestyle the cost would be very low, or if american goes to china, and lives like chinese, cost would be low.

I will have to go through the data and select only those items I use.

Transportation is a good example, in USA I cannot remember the last time I took a taxi, or public transportation, yet in China I would suicide before driving (well same thing driving IS suicide).

Clothing is actually cheaper in USA than in China for same quality item.

Groceries are a little lower in China (as I remember, it has been a while) but eating outside was WAY cheaper in China (again for chinese restaurant, not for western restaurant in China).

From the few data points in my head I would say the "std" life style in each country is the cheapest way to live for that country, and the "std" lifestyle in china is cheaper than the "std" lifestyle in America.

All my points are subjective though.. would be very interesting to have hard numbers for actual lifestyle cost,

Guest ExChinaExpat

I like the idea, but the comparison is to live a american lifestyle in both countries.

If a chinese were to come to america, but continue their chinese lifestyle the cost would be very low, or if american goes to china, and lives like chinese, cost would be low.

I will have to go through the data and select only those items I use.

Transportation is a good example, in USA I cannot remember the last time I took a taxi, or public transportation, yet in China I would suicide before driving (well same thing driving IS suicide).

Clothing is actually cheaper in USA than in China for same quality item.

Groceries are a little lower in China (as I remember, it has been a while) but eating outside was WAY cheaper in China (again for chinese restaurant, not for western restaurant in China).

From the few data points in my head I would say the "std" life style in each country is the cheapest way to live for that country, and the "std" lifestyle in china is cheaper than the "std" lifestyle in America.

All my points are subjective though.. would be very interesting to have hard numbers for actual lifestyle cost,

It's much cheaper to live in China when compare the same lifestyle of the USA. Now, keep in mind there are a few exceptions. Those include transportation and medical care. In my opinion, it's just not necessary to own a car in China as public transportation in all major cities can get you anywhere you need to be cheap. Here's an example of the costs to maintain the lifestyle I had in the USA:

China Monthly Expenses

Rent, 2 bedroom fully furnished apartment: 2000 RMB

Food, including filet of beef: 1500-2000 RMB (Note: Most Chinese people think it's insane to spend this much for food a month)

Electric: 400 RMB

Gas: 6 RMB

Cell: 60 RMB

Internet: 50 RMB

Transportation: Subway: 2-4 RMB, Bus: 2 RMB, Taxi: 30 RMB takes you cross town one-way, high speed rail ticket to Shanghai: 136 RMB

For the USA, it's virtually impossible to live without an automobile. I consider that a major detractor to life there

USA Monthly Expenses:

Rent 2 bedroom: 1200 usd

Electric: 120 usd

Cell: 130 usd

Food: 500 usd

Fuel expenses: 200-400 usd

Auto insurance: 40 usd

TV / Internet: 120 USD

These are rough estimates, but very close to reality. Overall, it cost about 2000 USD (+12,000 RMB) to live in the USA. To live the same or better life in China costs less than 5000 RMB (800 USD)

Edited by JiangsuExpat (see edit history)

Lao po and I discussed the cost comparisons and agree, totally. She was adamant that the gap would be closer if one chose to live in Shanghai, Hangzhou, Xiamen or Beijing. I think China is one of the bargain locals on the planet if'n you no habla espa~ole.

Hmmm, maybe I shoulod have considered this more. Changzhou should compare to Nanjing. I agree about Beijing being expensive due to housing. I hate to compare anything to NYC, LA, or Chicago, none of which I ever want to live in again.

Guest ExChinaExpat

Hmmm, maybe I shoulod have considered this more. Changzhou should compare to Nanjing. I agree about Beijing being expensive due to housing. I hate to compare anything to NYC, LA, or Chicago, none of which I ever want to live in again.

Changzhou is a lot smaller than Nanjing, but also closer to Shanghai. Still, prices there are about the same as Nanjing. You can find better prices for everything in cities like Shanghai and Beijing. Getting away from city center is the first method of saving.

I'm still considering whether or not to stay in China. There is no question that it's cheaper to live in China, but the intangible costs of that choice are what make deciding for me so difficult. When it comes to healthcare, you would be better off going to Vegas and betting on the tables. There are expensive Western hospitals, but only in Shanghai and Beijing. Then, comes the matters of pollution, government corruption, communication, and isolation. Most of us who are over 40 may be able to learn a little Chinese, but realistically, it's a language to learn when you are young. Most expats do not speak Chinese well enough to have a conversation. So, you will always be dependent on someone to help you with banking and other negotiations. You can get by without it, but I would not recommend that.

So, that's the tradeoff. You just have to look to your own heart whether or not it's worth it. You can survive at least twice as long at the same lifestyle when compared to the cost of living in the USA.

Changzhou is a lot smaller than Nanjing, but also closer to Shanghai. Still, prices there are about the same as Nanjing. You can find better prices for everything in cities like Shanghai and Beijing. Getting away from city center is the first method of saving.

I'm still considering whether or not to stay in China. There is no question that it's cheaper to live in China, but the intangible costs of that choice are what make deciding for me so difficult. When it comes to healthcare, you would be better off going to Vegas and betting on the tables. There are expensive Western hospitals, but only in Shanghai and Beijing. Then, comes the matters of pollution, government corruption, communication, and isolation. Most of us who are over 40 may be able to learn a little Chinese, but realistically, it's a language to learn when you are young. Most expats do not speak Chinese well enough to have a conversation. So, you will always be dependent on someone to help you with banking and other negotiations. You can get by without it, but I would not recommend that.

So, that's the tradeoff. You just have to look to your own heart whether or not it's worth it. You can survive at least twice as long at the same lifestyle when compared to the cost of living in the USA.

I have noticed how far China has come in as far as people speaking English. It happens all the tiem when I am out and the clerks are speaking to me in Chinese and I say in English that I don't speak it... and some Chinese person I never met steps forward and and helps me by translating. Almost daily this happens. The kids are being taught English starting at a young age so now there are semi-fluent English speakers all over. So eager to help too. At my bank, ICBC, they have an English speaker to deal with us ex-pats. Also I am lucky because in my family are Chinese doctors, lawyers, police and govt officials. I am starting Mandarin classes so I will earnestly try to learn it as much as I can.

I was on a city bus in Chengdu and missed my landmark where I had to get off. As we got to the end of the route a pretty young lady asked if she could help, in English. A lifesaver, she told the driver where I wanted to go and he flagged down the bus coming in the other direction and told him...I scurried over and got on and was dropped at my destination...No Charge!

I am finding the teenage looking young ladies know english at some eating places, and just simply ask me in perfect English, always a surprise. But still, it is no Spain where a feller can just look into any business and find a young woman, go in and ask directions and things, and they are oh so happy to speak English and help you out. Korea just about any age or gender is a help, but not all, and Japan is very good. China is not there yet, but I get surprises also. One very old man surprised me and came up and just started talking english. I seem to be able to pretty much get done what I want. One gets pretty imaginitive to communicate, and I twisted Fen's arm to give me some addresses to carry incase I needed help. Oh one BIG help is we got a prepayed cell phone just for me when I am there. If I have any trouble I can call and let her translate. Plus a smaller city like Changzhou the faces become familier a bit and THAT has been a good help when I am alone. People begin to know me and slowly learn who I am, even when downtown at our regular stores. I use the old money changer lady downtown instead of a bank, since I don't live there. Fen can ATM huge amounts as needed for her team and such.

Of course some places need the European style credit cards to work at all. Even AMEX is not there yet, but I will get one before long. I like to carry cash, it always talks. Havn't been mugged yet. :D

Just roaming like I do, I kind of discover things, and I don't have the feeling of being price gouged like I did in Beijing back in 2005. Only once did Fen ask I stay outside of one of those shopping malls with 100s of the little bitty booth stores, when she had to get her money back. I have NEVER seen a store give back money, but she buys there often, so....

it is funny because the Chinese do not like to let on that they know English, don't want to lose face, but the older folks know a bunch including most of the 50 and younger crowd. Just ask. under 30 and they should know it fairly well. All of the 20+ year olds I teach have been studying it for 10+ years.