NI HAO!!!!!

NI HAO CFLers!!!!

Sorry it's been so long since I've posted. Since we've moved to Shanghai life's been really busy with me starting work and us moving into our new spiffy apartment. I am at work now typing this since we have to wait another two weeks for our internet connection to be installed. The Chinese New Year really put a lot of things behind schedule for us.

Let me quickly give you all a quick overview of our life here in Shanghai. First off, work is going great. I love what I am doing the the people I work with. There are a few Americans that we hang out with that have Chinese wives. We've decided to start a support group of men married to Chinese women ;)

Living in Shanghai has taken some getting use to. I wasn't use to a huge city like this and had some trouble getting adjusted. The traffic here sucks and trying to find a taxi is almost impossible here were we are working. The prices here are a lot more than they were in Nanjing, but we've found a few local markets that have good prices.

The new apartment is GREAT!!! We have an oven and an outside patio area with a BBQ!!! We also got a satilite system so we can watch western TV like CNN, BBC and best of all TECH TV.

I was home for a holidays. It was a great great time and very precious as I spent some much needed time with my little girl. My family finally got over their attitude about me being here and I ended up staying with them for two weeks over Christmas. It was a very special time for us all. The day I left we were all in tears, it was sad. It was great being back in the states and having a car where I could come and go as I wanted. The Christmas shopping crowds were nothing compared to the normal crowds here in Shanghai so shopping wasn't at all that bad.

Yes, I did finally get an XBox while I was home. I bought a power converter from Radio Shack to accomidate the power, but when I got home and plugged the thing in it blew up. I was so P#$$ed. A few days after the XBox incident we were at the local Carefour center and lo and behold there was a little shop selling XBoxes made for 220v and as an added bonus it had a special mod chip in it so we can play DVDs regardless of local and play copied games....not that I advocate piracey ;P

The Chinese New Year Holiday was a blast. The inlaws flew in from Beijing and stayed for about a week. I couldn't understand a word they said to me, but it was still a nice time. At midnight on New Years Eve I looked out the window over this big city and as far as my eye could see there were fireworks. All shapes and sizes. I have never in my life seen anything quite like that.

I have my resident card now and my Z Visa. One of the guys I work with told me that he and his wife got her visa in 6 months and processsed it right here in Shanghai. We're having dinner with them next week and I'll post more info once I understand what he's talking about.

Anyway, I've gotta cut this short. We're out of here for the day and heading out for hot pot to celebrate the Lantern Festival, yummy. Once I get my cable modem installed at home I'll be dropping in here more often.

-Tim

Yes, I did finally get an XBox while I was home. I bought a power converter from Radio Shack to accomidate the power, but when I got home and plugged the thing in it blew up. I was so P#$$ed. A few days after the XBox incident we were at the local Carefour center and lo and behold there was a little shop selling XBoxes made for 220v and as an added bonus it had a special mod chip in it so we can play DVDs regardless of local and play copied games....not that I advocate piracey ;P

how much was the xbox? does it have chinese language support?

my wife and i want to buy one for my father in law-who is a pc game freak.

gv

ps out of all the sh street vendors, i miss dvd man the most, we were homies.

The XBox was about $400 USD with 2 free games. The games here are about 30RMB each. They don't have a huge selection, but have most of the popular titles except NFL games. Plenty of Soccer and basketball, but no American football.

Yea, gotta love the DVD man. We've got one right outside our apartment building. There is also one that comes into the pub we hang out in. Can't beat getting a good USDA burger, beer and shopping for DVDs. Always makes for a good night.

We were told that our internet will be hooked up by the end of next week. Let's hope that I am online by then. Our internet access is monitored here in the office and I hate feeling like big bro is looking over my shoulder....blah.

-Tim

Good to hear from you again Tim. Glad things are going well in Shanghai and also happy you got to spend time with your daughter over the holidays. I am sure the parting was bittersweet. Keep us posted as to your adventures over there.