Different Holiday Vacation Time China Style

Fu Lai

So my job in Wuhan says we have a three day holiday off, Jan. 1-2-3 but have to work 5-6 to make up for 2-3.

Reality is I have 2-3 off to make three straight days but 2-3 are not really time off, just rescheduled. Get off Wednesday and Thursday but have to work Saturday and Sunday to make up (including the work day Friday that means eight straight days on the job).

M 12/31 work

T 1/1 off

W 1/2 off

R 1/3 off

F 1/4 work

S 1/5 work

S 1/6 work

M 1/7 work

T 1/8 work

W 1/9 work

R 1/10 work

F 1/11 work

Ugh, I guess I would rather have the weekend off to break it up. Comments?

That is common. My wife was a teacher in China before we came back to the States. Almost all Holidays, when the kids have the day(s) off during the week, they would go to school on the weekend before or after to make it up. Kinda makes you wonder what is the point of the Holiday.

That used to happen to us all the time when we taught in China. I remember one year, when the Mid-Autumn Festival and National Day (October 1) fell very, very close. We ended up with six days off, but then worked 12 days in a row to make up for it. Made no sense to me, but that was during my first year in China. I was to find that many things didn't make a lot of sense. Eventually, I just learned to roll with the punches, or maybe as Laozi would advise, go with the flow. :wacko: :unsure: :eekout:

They are scheduled that way by the government, including which day makes up for which day off. http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?/topic/45219-official-holiday-schedule-released/

This year, every holiday has the extra days. For example, Wed. Jan 2 classes would meet on Sat. the 5th, and Thurs. Jan 3 classes would meet on Sun. the 6th.

A holiday "with Chinese characteristics" gives you a couple more days (sometimes more) for travel time or to extend the holiday...

Would have been better to give the Mon before new years off IMO (5 days straight off). Their way only gives three.

their way: off 12/29,12/30:work 12/31:off 1/1,1/2,1/3:work 1/4-1/11

other way: off 12/29,12/30,12/31,1/1,1/2:work 1/3-1/11

Whatever! Just thought I'd bring up the subject.

A holiday "with Chinese characteristics" gives you a couple more days (sometimes more) for travel time or to extend the holiday...

Would have been better to give the Mon before new years off IMO (5 days straight off). Their way only gives three.

their way: off 12/29,12/30:work 12/31:off 1/1,1/2,1/3:work 1/4-1/11

other way: off 12/29,12/30,12/31,1/1,1/2:work 1/3-1/11

Whatever! Just thought I'd bring up the subject.

. . . and releasing it as late in Dec. as they did caught more than a few people by surprise

But it also offers the prospect of a six-day break if employers can be persuaded to give employees an extra day off.

http://candleforlove...edule-released/

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)