New high speed rail line in China

http://news.yahoo.co...--business.html

9 hours from Beijing to Guangzhou. Not bad if it is like the train from Shenzhen to Guangzhou it will be a very nice clean ride.

Tickets for the much-hyped high-speed rail link between Beijing and Guangzhou went on sale yesterday, with prices ranging from 865 yuan (HK$1,067) in second class to 1,383 yuan in first class and 2,972 yuan for the VIP lounge - slightly cheaper per kilometre than the Beijing-Shanghai high-speed service.

With the airport delays in Beijing this might be a good way to travel.

• Like 1

Guest ExChinaExpat
We were given a glimpse of the train on TV news last night...lao po said it looked dangerous, hummm?

The trains are the same as those currently in use in China. The 'G-trains' (Gao-Tie) are the faster newer models. I often use these trains when traveling in and out of Nanjing. They are safe, reliable, fast and clean. The image posted shows the first class cabins, which are a bit more expensive than standard 'coach' tickets. For example, a G-train standard ticket from Nanjing South to Shanghai Hongqiao costs about 136 RMB first class is about 240 RMB. If you get the non-stop train, it takes just over one hour. D-Trains are a little older and are most often used for slower rural routes. 'K' and 'L' trains are even older slower model trains. These trains are available to the more rural areas and cities of China that have not yet been connected to the high-speed rail system.

You can check train prices from this English website:

http://www.travelchinaguide.com/china-trains/

China is building the most complex high-speed network of trains in the world. The Chinese were recruited to build American railroads in the 1850s. The US has done virtually nothing to update the American systems since that time. There is no way to touch China's rapid growth.

Edited by JiangsuExpat (see edit history)
  • Like 1

312KM/Hr is about as fast as I have been on to date in Shanghai and Jiangsu Province cities.

Does any know if they are planning to connect with Pudong airport, some day/year? If not I would just as soon the thing slide into the ocean.

Guest ExChinaExpat

312KM/Hr is about as fast as I have been on to date in Shanghai and Jiangsu Province cities.

Does any know if they are planning to connect with Pudong airport, some day/year? If not I would just as soon the thing slide into the ocean.

I've heard a few say there is a plan to connect Pudong to the high-speed rail line, but I don't know when or if it will be done. The best way into and out of Shanghai is from Hongqiao. You can take the subway from there to Pudong, but it's at the opposite end of the city, and probably 1.5 hours one way.

I've heard a few say there is a plan to connect Pudong to the high-speed rail line, but I don't know when or if it will be done. The best way into and out of Shanghai is from Hongqiao. You can take the subway from there to Pudong, but it's at the opposite end of the city, and probably 1.5 hours one way.

Yes we have done it everyway possible except walk. Last time was the subway, but after a certain time you cannot get all the way. But they have guys on the sub trying to give rids for pay on to the airport, which we did and saved 30-50yuan.

That airport is the (*&^%$#@#$%^&*&^%$#@#$%^&*&^%$#@#$%^&*&^%$#@#$%^&^%$#@$%^&*&^%$ I have ever seen.

rw: removed inadvertent 'mailto' link

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

ChunMei are waiting ultil next year for the Guangzhou/Nanning route. We've ridden that trip on the conventional China Rail train a number of times, and I for one would like to see the countryside when it's daylight.

I agree a day train is a good way to be a tourist...that's me. I've been told by many to fly from the US to Shanghai (Pudong) but I just dread the ride from there to the little local airport. I've used it before and it's very nice and less congested, but getting there seems a challenge. Any experiences are welcome.

Guest ExChinaExpat

ChunMei are waiting ultil next year for the Guangzhou/Nanning route. We've ridden that trip on the conventional China Rail train a number of times, and I for one would like to see the countryside when it's daylight.

I agree a day train is a good way to be a tourist...that's me. I've been told by many to fly from the US to Shanghai (Pudong) but I just dread the ride from there to the little local airport. I've used it before and it's very nice and less congested, but getting there seems a challenge. Any experiences are welcome.

There are two airports in Shanghai: Pudong and Hongqaio. Hongqiao handles mostly domestic flights, but there are a few international flights there too. Pudong is the primary airport for international travel, and where most US flights depart and arrive. It's at the extreme end of the city and Hongqiao is at the opposite end. The Hongqiao train station is located right next to the airport and easily accessed by one or two subway stops or quick taxi ride.

The subway is available from both the Pudong and Hongqiao terminals. A taxi will cost you over 150 yuan. The subway about 12 yuan. The subway is not bad, but can be crowded. Keep in mind though that you can generally get a seat from the airports as it's at the beginning of the run.

Edited by JiangsuExpat (see edit history)